Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on September 01, 2016, 07:14:35 PM
The key word is "purposes" it must be used for the purposes of the business. It it's insured and taxed privately the it couldn't be used for the purposes of the business. I'm coming at this only from the VAT side of things.
So in other words I will have to find someone to Insure it as Commercial which therefore  means I can tax it as a Commercial to be able reclaim the VAT?
As I said there are loads of them on the road,some company has to be insuring them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

macdanger2

A friend of mine bought one of those a couple of years ago as a commercial, for some reason they qualified as a commercial, only two belts in the back. Whatever the loophole was which allowed these to be commercial, I think it might be closed now. Sorry I don't have more details, can give him a shout if there's nobody else on here with the answer.

laoislad

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2016, 11:09:13 PM
A friend of mine bought one of those a couple of years ago as a commercial, for some reason they qualified as a commercial, only two belts in the back. Whatever the loophole was which allowed these to be commercial, I think it might be closed now. Sorry I don't have more details, can give him a shout if there's nobody else on here with the answer.
The loop hole is still there alright.

Got sorted anyways. I rang back one of the insurance companies I rang last night and got through to a different fella and he sorted it for me in about 15 mins.
I rang last night around 5:40pm and they were closing at 6pm and I knew the guy had no interest in helping me at all and fobbed me off saying they couldn't insure it,the p***k.
Sorted now though so happy days.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Farrandeelin

Have a query lads, I took my car off the road in April this year. I didn't bother insuring it because I thought I wouldn't need it. Turns out though that the missus does! The NCT date is up a month. So do I get insurance first or NCT first? I assume you can drive to the centre and back again without tax?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

screenexile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 29, 2016, 04:27:59 PM
Have a query lads, I took my car off the road in April this year. I didn't bother insuring it because I thought I wouldn't need it. Turns out though that the missus does! The NCT date is up a month. So do I get insurance first or NCT first? I assume you can drive to the centre and back again without tax?

Technically if your car is not NCT'd or taxed it doesn't matter if you've purchased insurance it's still void! That's the story up North anyway I presume it's the same craic don below as well.

If pulled over you might get away with it but I'd be careful!

Farrandeelin

Ok. Got the car NCTd and taxed again over Christmas. Now the insurance company want proof that it was taken off thebroad. Is this common?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

illdecide

My car insurance went from £332 last year to £440 this year WTF...no claims as usual. Just got my quote today but will be phoning around over the next week
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: illdecide on February 01, 2017, 09:58:46 PM
My car insurance went from £332 last year to £440 this year WTF...no claims as usual. Just got my quote today but will be phoning around over the next week

Had same thing before Christmas. Mine shot up by near 200 quid. Have 15+ years no claims and a clean record. I'm about as safe a bet as they are ever going to get and yet they hike the price up like that. When I queried it they blamed the government for hiking up the tax. Shopped around and got it a bit cheaper but it was still a good bit more than I would have liked it to be.

Wouldn't want to be in the shoes of someone who had a claim or conviction.

screenexile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 01, 2017, 09:19:11 PM
Ok. Got the car NCTd and taxed again over Christmas. Now the insurance company want proof that it was taken off thebroad. Is this common?

Yeah it would be alright I'm afraid.

screenexile

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on February 01, 2017, 11:03:50 PM

Had same thing before Christmas. Mine shot up by near 200 quid. Have 15+ years no claims and a clean record. I'm about as safe a bet as they are ever going to get and yet they hike the price up like that. When I queried it they blamed the government for hiking up the tax. Shopped around and got it a bit cheaper but it was still a good bit more than I would have liked it to be.

Lads never ever ever take the price they give you for renewal. I know for a fact that they pump out the best deal for them with all the optional extras on it and expect people to come back for a better deal.

If you're up North get on moneysupermarket and comparethemarket as well as giving Axaditrct a shout.

I'm with Axaditrct and got a renewal premium through but ran my details through their system for a quote and it was £50 cheaper so they honoured it!

illdecide

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2017, 11:23:20 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on February 01, 2017, 11:03:50 PM

Lads never ever ever take the price they give you for renewal. I know for a fact that they pump out the best deal for them with all the optional extras on it and expect people to come back for a better deal.

If you're up North get on moneysupermarket and comparethemarket as well as giving Axaditrct a shout.

I'm with Axaditrct and got a renewal premium through but ran my details through their system for a quote and it was £50 cheaper so they honoured it!

Yes you're right, the girl told me on the phone yesterday that my renewal price was a figure thrown at me to negotiate with them after receiving a cheaper quote elsewhere...WTF. Just give me your cheapest quote and i'll renew without wasting my time phoning around half the country to get it knocked down anyway...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

general_lee

Insurance companies deserve zero loyalty. I had a driving conviction years ago and the insurance rightly went up when I was back on the road. The following year for renewal it went up even further  :o

Hardy

Where does the concept of "loyalty" to a commercial organisation come from?

johnneycool

Quote from: Hardy on February 02, 2017, 12:51:57 PM
Where does the concept of "loyalty" to a commercial organisation come from?

There should be none as all they want is the money out of your pocket.

On changing insurance companies, I find getting No Claims Bonus certs out of previous insurers a real pain in the hole.