A Romantic Final OR a Real Final

Started by thewobbler, August 17, 2008, 12:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real Final (Tyrone) or Romantic Final (Wexford)

Tyrone
28 (71.8%)
Wexford
11 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: August 31, 2008, 12:43:40 AM

thewobbler

Folks, based on the presumption that Kerry will make the showpiece, then who would you rather meet them there?

Obviously, it would be wonderful for the game if Wexford fully emerged from the doldrums and made it to the final. The lead up the game would generate an unbelievable well of good publicity for the sport. The most perfect David vs Goliath clash, etc. The evolving face of Gaelic Games, etc.

But let's be honest. Should Wexford make the final, in all likelihood they would choke, stumble, and be beaten out of Croke Park before halftime by those cute Kerry hoors. Sadly they just wouldn't have the skill, the experience or the nerve to compete with the Kingdom in the big one. So the final would be a dismal affair, and they Winter would involve a host of articles and discussion on "can anyone stop Kerry?".

Tyrone, on the other hand, would provide us with the best possible opponents for Kerry. They're battle-hardened, experienced, they've been there and done the lot. They're the only team in Ireland with skill levels comparable to those in the Kingdom. There'a  history between the sides, and a "team of the noughties" tag to pursue. On top of this, they're from the North, and this is always good for an edge.

In terms of competitive edge, it could be the dream final. If things went to plan, the final itself (regardless of the winner) would be one of the greatest adverts for Gaelic Games ever.

Pangurban

The two best teams in the Country should contest the final, Kerry and Tyrone, a mouth watering prospect

ziggysego

At the risk of sounding cheeky, I'm more fearful of meeting Wexford than Kerry if we get there. We'll have the favourites  tag of the semi, which never sits easy with me and Wexford could win if Tyrone lose focus. As for Kerry, nothing we love more than denying Kerry All-Ireland's ;)
Testing Accessibility

tyssam5

Quote from: ziggysego on August 17, 2008, 02:24:37 AM
At the risk of sounding cheeky, I'm more fearful of meeting Wexford than Kerry if we get there. We'll have the favourites  tag of the semi, which never sits easy with me and Wexford could win if Tyrone lose focus. As for Kerry, nothing we love more than denying Kerry All-Ireland's ;)

Well you did sound cheeky!
Let's not do a Dublin on it, need to put 2 performances together and get past Wexford now.

fred the red

Quote from: Pangurban on August 17, 2008, 01:50:05 AM
The two best teams in the Country should contest the final, Kerry and Tyrone, a mouth watering prospect

It would have been great to see an Armagh Tyrone semi, that would have been a close encounter.

robertemmet

We had romantic finals the last 2 years (06 & 07) and you couldn't have looked at them

mournerambler

Quote from: fred the red on August 17, 2008, 09:55:33 AM

It would have been great to see an Armagh Tyrone semi, that would have been a close encounter.
Bullshit, Armagh were found out big time, let the Wexford men enjoy there well deserved All-Ireland semi-final.
They bounced back after a humiliation against the Dubs & beat both Down & Armagh fair & square, good luck to them.

Maguire01

Quote from: robertemmet on August 17, 2008, 09:58:21 AM
We had romantic finals the last 2 years (06 & 07) and you couldn't have looked at them
When i think of Cork and Mayo, romance doesn't normally come to mind.

The Real Laoislad

Would love to see a Wexford v Cork final
You'll Never Walk Alone.

paddypastit

Folks - get over yerselves.

If Wexford beat Tyrone, they will be the better team and deserving of a place in the AI final.  Consider the alternative routes to final

Wexford - wins over Carlow, Meath, Laois, Armagh, Tyrone, Beaten by Dublin
Tyrone - wins over Louth, Mayo, Dublin, Wexford, Beaten by Down

Enough substance and consistency in the trail of either to merit a final place IMHO
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

boro

Quote from: fred the red on August 17, 2008, 09:55:33 AM

Why, do you think wexford are going to hockey Tyrone?  ;)

ziggysego

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 17, 2008, 06:17:12 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on August 17, 2008, 02:24:37 AM

Well you did sound cheeky!
Let's not do a Dublin on it, need to put 2 performances together and get past Wexford now.

I think you're misreading what I'm saying sir. I'm saying that Wexford will be no pushover for us. They are a team on the up and could well surprise us, like we surprised the whole country yesterday. I will not be shocked to see Wexford got through to the All-Ireland Final. However Tyrone do have the players, panel, backroom team and tactics to ensure that this should not happen.

However if Wexford were to win, I wouldn't be too disheartened as it would be great for football. On any other given day, I'd have been supporting them.
Testing Accessibility

comethekingdom

[/quote]

[/quote]

Based on Armagh's dire performance against Wexford Tyrone would have given them a bigger hiding than they gave to Dublin ! (No need to bring in local rivalry/derby etc.)