Olaf Mellberg

Started by thewobbler, May 11, 2008, 09:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I read somewhere that Olaf Mellberg gave a personalised Villa shirt to each of the 3,500 Villa fans who went to Upton Park today, as a leaving present.

Fair fucks to that man.

charlie stubbs

he away to juve aint he??complete legend if that true u really appreciate players like that.garcia at lpool was a legend the way he left,frustrating as f**k but always likely grab a goal, benayoun is a poor mans garcia without the important goals

ExiledGael

Quote from: charlie stubbs on May 11, 2008, 09:56:35 PM
he away to juve aint he??complete legend if that true u really appreciate players like that.garcia at lpool was a legend the way he left,frustrating as f**k but always likely grab a goal, benayoun is a poor mans garcia without the important goals

Swedes all seem to have a bit of class about them. What did Garcia do when he left?

Hmmm, just thought of Ulrika and Sven. Maybe not all Swedes, but most of them, certainly the players in recent memory. Maybe it's a Scandanavian thing, always seem to be loyal and honest with the clubs/fans.

tyroneboi

Wrote a letter to the club thanking the fans and how much the club meant to him etc etc. Was a ncie touch.

Fair play to Mellberg for doing that. In fairness he wasnt likely to turn down the chance to play for such a massive club like Juventus at this stage of his career.

Minder

I remember he famously hated wee freddie the fruit and had him by the neck a few times while on Sweden duty. . . . .
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

dodo

Quote from: thewobbler on May 11, 2008, 09:51:32 PM
I read somewhere that Olaf Mellberg gave a personalised Villa shirt to each of the 3,500 Villa fans who went to Upton Park today, as a leaving present.

Fair fucks to that man.

Would that be 3,500 * ~€50/ shirt ?

That's €175,000         :o

Hope he got a bulk discount.

lurganblue

as a villa fan, i was there to say goodbye to olaf at villa park last week. unfortunately the game didnt go our way but he was the best villa player on show! he will be sorely missed...

T Fearon

I can claim to have seen one of his first (if not his actual first) game for Villa, way back in the opening game of the 2001/02 season, a quite tepid scoreless draw at White Hart Lane. If memory serves me right, Ginola came on as a sub for Villa that day as well.

Lets face it, club shops have a bit of a clear out at this time of the year to move essentially out of date stock, (I noted that Spurs players even wore next year's shirt against Liverpool yesterday ???) so I doubt if he paid any great money for these. Probably a gesture from the club a smuch as the player.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: T Fearon on May 12, 2008, 11:09:49 AM
I can claim to have seen one of his first (if not his actual first) game for Villa, way back in the opening game of the 2001/02 season, a quite tepid scoreless draw at White Hart Lane. If memory serves me right, Ginola came on as a sub for Villa that day as well.

Lets face it, club shops have a bit of a clear out at this time of the year to move essentially out of date stock, (I noted that Spurs players even wore next year's shirt against Liverpool yesterday ???) so I doubt if he paid any great money for these. Probably a gesture from the club a smuch as the player.

Spurs do that every year to try and boost the coffers over the summer - doesnt help them much though ;D

T Fearon

Half price this last two months. I got the third jersey (yellow one) for £19.99 ;D

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on May 12, 2008, 04:58:30 PM
Half price this last two months. I got the third jersey (yellow one) for £19.99 ;D

Trying to shift them were they?
Testing Accessibility

red hander

Quote from: hardstation on May 12, 2008, 05:00:07 PM
Shocker: Fearon pays for something.......

Be an even bigger shock if he can fit into it...

T Fearon

They had to I suppose. Got all four Spurs jersies this year, the home, away, and third one plus the blue and white quartered one they used for the 125 year game with Villa, though the latter was a freebie for taking out a Spurs Credit Card. Don't say Im not a committed fan ;D

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

saffron sam2

Quote from: lurganblue on May 11, 2008, 11:11:49 PM
as a villa fan, i was there to say goodbye to olaf at villa park last week. unfortunately the game didnt go our way but he was the best villa player on show! he will be sorely missed...

Was over at it as well. Very assured performance from Olaf, but a disappointing final home game. Obviously very well respected by the home crowd and reminded me a lot of how Larsson left Celtic. Excellent reception too after the game, when he came on to the pitch with his children.

It may be unfair to compare his performance and departure with the probable one of Gareth Barry, but I think they say a lot about both.

Nice to know that there is a wee bit of humility left in the game at that level.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet