Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Sidey seems like a likeable guy, and he obviously loves his GAA.

But he's possibly the worst commentator I've ever heard in any sport.

His twee, cringe-laden style does nothing for the BBC nor for the sport. It's like listening to your grandparents talking about sex.

Sort it out BBC, put him in another job or none at all, but keep that mic out of his hands.

ONeill

"And it's Mackin, he's crackin"
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ONeill on May 28, 2011, 10:40:32 PM
"And it's Mackin, he's crackin"
f**k he didnt say that did he ***cringe***
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

Might have been "cracklin" but same sentiments. Even the wife near puked.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

Listening to Marty now on RTEs delayed coverage.  >:(
I say we throw him and Mark Sidebottom into a pit armed with rusty meathooks and let them go at it.
The winner gets to stay in the pit till the championship is over.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JimStynes

All GAA commentators are crap when you compare them to other sports. I always find the aussie commentators to be good, they make the game sound exciting even when it's not.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 28, 2011, 11:01:25 PM
:-X
You're excluded from this discussion.

Mark is from the home place, is a very nice fella and I know the family well growing up near them.  He had a tough start in the commentsry box as plenty of people, including people here, assumed he was a prod. Which he isn't and he loves the game. I just wish he would keep it simple. Football and hurling fairly shift so if he stuck to what was happening in front of him he'd be fine. The inane asides make him sound like a dick and add no value.

Orangemac

Mark Sidebottom tries a bit too hard to be funny/smart when there is enough going on in the game to talk about.

At one stage the camera focused on a baby and he started talking about the hat on the baby. Canavan told him to stick to the football.

Canavan is very good on the commentary.  No cliches and good analysis of small details during passages of play, which is no less than you would expect considering the player he was.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orangemac on May 29, 2011, 12:00:27 AM
Mark Sidebottom tries a bit too hard to be funny/smart when there is enough going on in the game to talk about.

At one stage the camera focused on a baby and he started talking about the hat on the baby. Canavan told him to stick to the football.

Canavan is very good on the commentary.  No cliches and good analysis of small details during passages of play, which is no less than you would expect considering the player he was.
As I said on the match thread you'd think Canavan was the key commentator. He keeps it simple and concentrates on the match in front of him. The match is enterntainment enough without "hilarious" quips by the commentator(s).

Leo

Sidebottom is a lovely guy - same as most GAA commentators.
Once in a lifetime along comes Micheal - O'Hehir or O'Muircheartaigh.
The rest are sh**t beyond belief.
Sad but true.
Fierce tame altogether

ross matt

Quote from: Orangemac on May 29, 2011, 12:00:27 AM

Heard ye mention Mark before but watched it tonight not knowing anything about him. Oh my God lads he's cat. At least Marty Morrissey keeps up with the play. At one point Sidebottom was in the middle of telling a story which he continued as Armagh bore down on goal and he wouldnt drop it even as it looked as if there was going to be a goal. Canavan worked a tough shift with him tonight and the incident with the baby sounded like PTG had finally lost his patience with Sidebottom.

Jinxy

Quote from: JimStynes on May 28, 2011, 11:21:43 PM
All GAA commentators are crap when you compare them to other sports. I always find the aussie commentators to be good, they make the game sound exciting even when it's not.

God no, they are the worst of the worst.
I don't even watch the AFL highlights on TG4 anymore because of them.
They're like the lads that commentate on professional wrestling.
Wrestling: "Oh my God, HE JUST HIT HIM WITH A STEEL CHAIR!"
Aussie Rules: "Oh my God, HE JUST SWUNG HIS BOOT AT IT ON THE GROUND AND IT BOUNCED IN SEVERAL RANDOM DIRECTIONS BEFORE TRICKLING OVER THE LINE!"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JimStynes

Quote from: Jinxy on May 29, 2011, 12:59:43 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 28, 2011, 11:21:43 PM

God no, they are the worst of the worst.
I don't even watch the AFL highlights on TG4 anymore because of them.
They're like the lads that commentate on professional wrestling.
Wrestling: "Oh my God, HE JUST HIT HIM WITH A STEEL CHAIR!"
Aussie Rules: "Oh my God, HE JUST SWUNG HIS BOOT AT IT ON THE GROUND AND IT BOUNCED IN SEVERAL RANDOM DIRECTIONS BEFORE TRICKLING OVER THE LINE!"

Just my opinion. They do make the game sound exciting, aussie rules and rugby league. Anything would be better than that shite on BBC and RTE. I find Sidebottom that bad that it is quite funny now. Your man on RTE is the worst commentator I've ever heard.

RandyDupree

Leave him alone, I love it. If you dont like then dont watch! Hes passionate and loves the sport and is actually quite knowledgable. Yes his quotes can be cringey, but if you look at the bright side of it, he can be a good laugh.

balladmaker

QuoteLeave him alone, I love it. If you dont like then dont watch! Hes passionate and loves the sport and is actually quite knowledgable. Yes his quotes can be cringey, but if you look at the bright side of it, he can be a good laugh.

No problem Mark, no personal offence intended