Reviving the Railway Cup through the GPA

Started by thewobbler, April 29, 2010, 03:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Reviving the Railway Cup through the GPA...

It just struck me that with the pay per play argument getting airtime again, there is an excellent and simple opportunity for the GPA to prove that their desire is based on viable means.

Based on pure quality of the contestants involves, the highest level of Gaelic Games attainable under the current structures is in the Railway Cups. Only the creme de la creme get that honour.

Yet for decades its been impossible to get anyone to watch it.

So let's turn it over to the GPA.

The GAA would supply the stadia and their backing... even clear a weekend of fixtures.

Thereafter it would be the GPA's responsibility to organise, finance, market and advertise the tournament. The kicker for them is that they would get to keep every penny made and distribute it in whatever manner they see fit - no questions asked.

As a safety net, and a thanks for their efforts, the GAA could underwrite any losses on the first iteration of the tournament.

The question is, would the GPA be brave enough to take this challenge on?

Zulu

In fairness thewobbler what your trying to say there is that GAA fans follow the jersey and not the qualitty of player but both the Cork strike and teh current Limerick situation indicate that that is not the case.

AZOffaly

Zulu I think that is the case. The problem with strikes, and how they polarise opinion, is that all people want the best players to represent them. Not going to see the weaker ones is a mechanism of telling the county board to sort it out.

But I guarantee you that if Cork had ended up losing all their players, like Limerick, there will be a poor turnout for a couple of years, and then the next crop arrives. The Jersey continues.

Of course that's the wrong way of proving it, and the County Boards are equally culpable which is why people get thick.

I meant to add, the failure of the Railway Cups over the past 20 years almost add to the argument that it's the jersey thats important rather than the skillful players.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 29, 2010, 03:35:13 PM
Zulu I think that is the case. The problem with strikes, and how they polarise opinion, is that all people want the best players to represent them. Not going to see the weaker ones is a mechanism of telling the county board to sort it out.

But I guarantee you that if Cork had ended up losing all their players, like Limerick, there will be a poor turnout for a couple of years, and then the next crop arrives. The Jersey continues.

Of course that's the wrong way of proving it, and the County Boards are equally culpable which is why people get thick.

I meant to add, the failure of the Railway Cups over the past 20 years almost add to the argument that it's the jersey thats important rather than the skillful players.

In fairness AZ supporters follow the jersey in every sport sure if it was only the players the much derided premiership fan would leave their team in their droves when one set of players retire. The reality is that GAA fans are like the fans of other sports, we follow successful teams and we don't follow unsuccessful ones. The likes of me and you (and many on this board) are probably more fanatical about the GAA than alot of people and will support our counties and clubs irrespective of the levels of success, many others aren't though. Where were all the Cork supporters from last September last sunday? Why aren't the national leagues well supported in comaprison to the championship? 

Celt_Man

Jaysus Wobbler someone has robbed your idea

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=139556

Donnelly calls on GPA to revive Inter-pros
11 December 2010

The Inter-provincial championships' long-time sponsor believed the series could yet be saved if the GAA allows the GPA to take ownership of it.

Martin Donnelly is determined to see the once popular competition back on the GAA calendar and is recommending that the players' body be allowed to run it with the proceeds from the games to be put into hardship and injury funds.

"If the GAA, as they appear to have shown, don't want to run with it they should let the GPA organise it and make it the players' competition," he said in The Irish Examiner.

"The players are the people who sell the GAA and the public will support them. If they are allowed to promote and organise the competition, I have no doubt that it would be a success.

"As an incentive and for their efforts, the gate receipts could go directly towards a central players' fund be it for injuries or hardship. God knows it's a difficult time for everyone but especially for players who are making sacrifices and holding onto jobs at the same time. This could be a thank you for all that they have given us.

"It would still be organised under the auspices of the GAA but by letting the players run it themselves, the GAA would be showing goodwill to the people who make our games such an attraction."

Donnelly has suggested that the games be run off as an end-of-season affair on one or two weekends around the time of the All Stars or the GPA's own awards. And he is adamant that the players want to see the games back.

"The reasons why I continued to sponsor the inter-provincials were because it is a competition that is 90 years old - we have four provinces and that should be represented in our games. But above all, the players want it," he added.

"If they didn't I wouldn't still be interested in supporting the competition. In London last year (where the football final was played between Ulster and Munster), Tyrone footballer Stephen O'Neill led a players' deputation where he asked Christy Cooney to keep it going.

"I'm still receiving calls from players who want to the inter-provincials back. Nine Kilkenny players lined out for Leinster last year. Okay, there was a trip to Abu Dhabi but they had 10 playing in 2007 when there wasn't."

The Clareman also revealed he is willing to sponsor the competitions again.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

johnneycool

Quote from: Zulu on April 29, 2010, 03:24:06 PM
In fairness thewobbler what your trying to say there is that GAA fans follow the jersey and not the qualitty of player but both the Cork strike and teh current Limerick situation indicate that that is not the case.

Supporters will follow the best 15 available, not an individual player.

In the Limerick and Cork issue's over the last few years it was patently obvious that both counties weren't putting out the first 15 and hence unlikely to be competitive.

Do you think the Cork hurlers attendance figures will be down in 2011 with Sean O'g not in the picture?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair dues to Martin Donnelly. He's hanging in there with nothing short of the perseverance of a (good!  ;)) saint!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

Im with him, lets revise it and give it a purpose surely but as for paying players.  Why not let the GPA do the half time draw and those who want to give their money that road, let them.  I wonder could testimonials become a thing in the GAA whereby a player retires and they play a game for him, and he keeps the dough.  The GPA would love that.     

thewobbler

I hope the GPA send me complimentaries should it get off the ground.

Not that I'd attend a GPA event.

Well, maybe if there's free booze too I would.