McKenna Cup - at what entry fee will you stop attending?

Started by thewobbler, January 17, 2010, 12:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McKenna Cup - at what entry fee will you stop attending?

£7
7 (13.7%)
£8
3 (5.9%)
£9
8 (15.7%)
£10
6 (11.8%)
£11
2 (3.9%)
£12
6 (11.8%)
I'll always go
19 (37.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

thewobbler

I'm interested in a piece of market research here.

After reading on another thread that it was £9 in to watch experimental Down play a University side tonight, I'm a bit worried that the Ulster Council have lost all grip with reality.

That almost a 30% rise on last year's £7 prices.

I stopped going last year as I was sick of paying good money to watch experimental teams not trying too hard.

Where might anyone else draw the line?

dundrumite

Great question? Ridiculous amount, though a highlight of my night was when a guy I went with paid 10 euro in 20 cent change. The money collector was very much unimpressed but could do f@@k all about. Will strongly consider doing it next time myself   ;D

dundrumite

He has a valid point though. If gates continue to rise by 30% each year its going to cost 25.70( pound sign fcuked on my computer) come 2014  :o Would you pay that in HS?

Pangurban

Its £4 too much for the quality of fare on offer, the GAA seem intent on killing the Goose that lays the golden eggs

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Pangurban on January 17, 2010, 12:55:21 AM
Its £4 too much for the quality of fare on offer, the GAA seem intent on killing the Goose that lays the golden eggs

It's the Golden Goose not the goose that lays the golden eggs  :-\ ffs

Trevor Hill

Is £9 a ridiculous amount of money? I might go out and rob a cash machine tonight to pay for Wednesdays game.  ::) Some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about, if it wasn't the admission price it would be the weather.

tyrone86

Quote from: dundrumite on January 17, 2010, 12:49:07 AM
He has a valid point though. If gates continue to rise by 30% each year its going to cost 25.70( pound sign fcuked on my computer) come 2014  :o Would you pay that in HS?

Admission to the McKenna cup was 7 quid for this last 2 or 3 years so, as hungry as the Ulster Council are, I don't think it will rise 30% a year.

Jaysis, there'll be some crying some crying done if admission to the league is £13 or £14 in sterling and they* aren't getting subsidised against the Euro this year again

*They being my fellow Nordies

Minder

Why are these glorified friendlies taken so bloody seriously, it is a joke that they have a sponsor. f**k me the bookies even give odds on them, on friendlies !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

dundrumite

Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 17, 2010, 12:57:14 AM
Is £9 a ridiculous amount of money? I might go out and rob a cash machine tonight to pay for Wednesdays game.  ::) Some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about, if it wasn't the admission price it would be the weather.

That aint the issue for me. Its the dramatic hike in price when in the middle of a recession. GAA can't do anything about the weather but the ridiculous price is something they can control. Though I will be there on Wednesday night, ya cant be a few pints and a bita bitching  ;D

thewobbler

QuoteIs £9 a ridiculous amount of money?
This is why I'm asking the question.

Personally, I think £9 to watch a game between experimental teams, in which the result is no importance, is at least £4 too steep.

I reckon it's a surefire way of turning anyone other than the hardcore away from returning. And once bitten, twice shy.

The question will no doubt arise "sure what does nine quid get you these days?". The problem is that the same statement can be used for ten quid, twenty quid, fifty quic, and so on. And as long as the GAA are aware of this, and people are saying this, then you'll only end up handing more money than ever to them.

But until there's a notable effect on attendances, I'll put my hands up and admit I'm probably wrong (and therefore tightfisted).

Minder

£9 is a joke for this type of fare. Is anyone surprised the arm is being put in?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Trevor Hill

Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2010, 01:04:34 AM
But until there's a notable effect on attendances, I'll put my hands up and say I'm wrong.

How many were at tonight's game? three or four thousand maybe? Obviously those who went tonight didn't think £9 was too much. Also it was free for under 16s.
I am sure there was a decent crowd in Crossmaglen this afternoon as well so obviously the paying public don't think the admission fee is too strong.

thewobbler

Attendances at the next games will tell a better tale though Trevor Hill. Not too many will turn around and drive back the length of the county without watching, for the sake of 2 quid. But it might be enough to stop some of them returning.

Down vs Armagh with its local rivalry and new management stories would skewer any threories or statistics though.

thewobbler

just one more thing on this.

In 2006 it was £5 into McKenna Cup games. I know this because I gave a steward a mouthful in Downpatrick in 2007 about the price rise to £7.

That represents an 80% price rise in 5 years.

I'd love to know how much the average wage has risen during the same time, then for someone to try to explain to me why these factors can operate on hugely independent scales.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: hardstation on January 17, 2010, 01:36:08 AM
I'd pay £15 to be in Casement tomorrow. I am the godfather of a child being christened tomorrow. Is anyone prepared to stand in for me, for 6 quid?

heaven help he/she !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012