The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2018, 03:40:59 AM
I absolutely love that Xhaka and Shaquri stuck it to the Serbs. Poetic justice.
You sir are a hypocrite then  re Gaza

shark

Quote from: rrhf on June 23, 2018, 08:46:03 AM

Completely. Normal Serbian families have had their land stolen and been driven out of the areas they and their families have spent their entire lives. We are not talking about Serbian politicians or military officers here. Normal people.

I really wish all this stuff would stay out of sport.

seafoid

Quote from: ziggy90 on June 23, 2018, 06:41:02 AM
Who would you like to "stick it to" the Croats?
Turkey didn't qualify
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: shark on June 23, 2018, 09:58:25 AM

Completely. Normal Serbian families have had their land stolen and been driven out of the areas they and their families have spent their entire lives. We are not talking about Serbian politicians or military officers here. Normal people.

If the two of ye can't see the difference between someone who was born in Kosovo sticking it to Sebia after scoring a goal to beat them at the WC and a lad in the crowd in the north trying to tie their 'struggle' to the Palestinians' by waving a flag, I don't really have any desire to discuss it further because it's going to be a complete waste of time.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2018, 12:30:25 PM

If the two of ye can't see the difference between someone who was born in Kosovo sticking it to Sebia after scoring a goal to beat them at the WC and a lad in the crowd in the north trying to tie their 'struggle' to the Palestinians' by waving a flag, I don't really have any desire to discuss it further because it's going to be a complete waste of time.

Oh I can see the difference. I just can't see how you can "absolutely love" it. It has no place in sport.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on June 23, 2018, 12:45:23 PM

Oh I can see the difference. I just can't see how you can "absolutely love" it. It has no place in sport.

I'd argue this sort of nationalism is absolutely intrinsic to international soccer.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2018, 12:54:31 PM
Quote from: shark on June 23, 2018, 12:45:23 PM

I'd argue this sort of nationalism is absolutely intrinsic to international soccer.

No problem in pride of place. You're right that it's damn important. But they are representing Switzerland and dont make that celebration playing against anyone else. It was premeditated no matter what the players may have said afterwards about "emotion". The Serbs are no angels either of course and some of the pre match comments from their camp were unnecessary at best.

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

imtommygunn

Poor auld batshuayi couldn't buy a goal here.

laoislad

Lovely goal. The Germans are in trouble....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Over the Bar

How on earth did Sweden not get a penalty? What's the point in VAR the big teams are given a free ride?

laoislad

Unreal. Never write off the Germans....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Wildweasel74

imtommygunn