Tyrone v Donegal - Sunday 18th June at 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, May 29, 2017, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2017, 10:34:37 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 21, 2017, 10:24:36 AM
I thought the same Ned, that whilst he did quite well out around the middle and set up Brennan for his goal chance, I thought he was far too slow releasing the ball at times and if the roles were reversed for his big goal chance then Sludden would have drawn the defender and released the ball to Sean who would be screaming for it.

Another time he was running into men on the 40 and whilst he kept possession he kicked a silly short pass no where near its target instead of a simple quick handpass outside him much earlier in the move.

Just bad decision making I think and probably thinks he needs to stand up and take these chances rather than looking around him.
Still, I think he's a handy man to have out around the MF where he can make a good mark from time to time and run from deep

Cavanagh, although not at his absolute best on Sunday, still is vital to this team. I believe that some teams think he is a bigger threat than he actually is these days and that will be crucial later in the championship as teams will use their best man marker on him or form a plan to stop him. I couldn't believe Mayo sacrificed Lee Keegan last year, Sean should have stood in full forward and not budged, completely neutralising Keegan's influence, but unforuntately Sean moved out the pitch and ultimately let Keegan dominate and wind him up.

He isnt the first for that to happen to him

Redhand Santa

I thought the same Ned, that whilst he did quite well out around the middle and set up Brennan for his goal chance, I thought he was far too slow releasing the ball at times and if the roles were reversed for his big goal chance then Sludden would have drawn the defender and released the ball to Sean who would be screaming for it.

Another time he was running into men on the 40 and whilst he kept possession he kicked a silly short pass no where near its target instead of a simple quick handpass outside him much earlier in the move.

Just bad decision making I think and probably thinks he needs to stand up and take these chances rather than looking around him.
Still, I think he's a handy man to have out around the MF where he can make a good mark from time to time and run from deep

Cavanagh, although not at his absolute best on Sunday, still is vital to this team. I believe that some teams think he is a bigger threat than he actually is these days and that will be crucial later in the championship as teams will use their best man marker on him or form a plan to stop him. I couldn't believe Mayo sacrificed Lee Keegan last year, Sean should have stood in full forward and not budged, completely neutralising Keegan's influence, but unforuntately Sean moved out the pitch and ultimately let Keegan dominate and wind him up.

From memory Keegan did very little in the game until Cavanagh got sent off and he had a bit of freedom to attack. Cavanagh was a bit wasteful on Sunday but still well involved and well worth his place on the team. If we are going to push up on kickouts it's important he's out there helping Colm, Mattie and whoever has is in midfield.

ned

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 21, 2017, 10:52:48 AM

From memory Keegan did very little in the game until Cavanagh got sent off and he had a bit of freedom to attack. Cavanagh was a bit wasteful on Sunday but still well involved and well worth his place on the team. If we are going to push up on kickouts it's important he's out there helping Colm, Mattie and whoever has is in midfield.

I suppose Cavanagh has set a high standard previously and in no way did he have a bad game. Just an observation but he definitely is vital for Tyrone still.

Fuzzman

Maybe it's because it's his last year or maybe because he's been such an amazing player for us in the past but many people are slow to criticise Sean in any way for fear of rocking the boat or being judged.
When discussing a player and what he did well and when he made mistakes I often ask myself what if it was another player.

For example the goal chance he missed, he showed great pace to burst through and he was straight up the middle so you would usually expect Sean to put that away, but I just noticed lately that he's not as clinical as he used to be and he hit it straight at the keeper.
If the game was in the balance and it was Ronan O'Neill running through and he didn't pass to Sludden we would be giving him a lot harder time but because it's Sean we are a lot more tolerant.

All I'm saying is maybe it's the miles on the clock or the mental attitude that this is his last year but I just think in the last year or so he often runs into traffic and loses possession like he did against Dublin in the league for their equalising score I think it was. If he would just release the ball a lot faster and maybe go for the return it would benefit us as a team as we have huge pace when breaking forward.

skeog

Sean still the man and should be staying beyond this year with Mickey.

Taylor

Sean is a born leader - is probably the most consistent player in Ireland over last 10 years.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Fuzzman I like you're style. You and the bomber wouldn't look out of place along the side line with Micky.

Jayop

He had a poor enough game but he's got more than enough credit in the bank to be allowed the odd one. He was excellent against Derry. He's also in there now for free taking and that wasn't shown on Sunday because we only got two scoring frees all game iirc.

Fuzzman

Taylor & Skeog why did you think it was necessary to say he is still the man (Though Brolly might disagree) and he's a natural born leader.
Sure that goes without saying. No doubt I'd be delighted if he stayed on another few years as like someone said he usually is marked by the other teams best defender which leaves space for others.
McGee was taken out the field away from the square on Sunday where Bradley had a lot more space to make runs into.

I think we must look at each match as it comes and give praise where it's due and criticism also where it's due.

Had Brennan stuck that goal chance into the top corner I'd have been saying that Sean did great to set him up for an amazing goal. I hope Mickey when he does his match reviews points out to Sean (like others) that he overheld it here and there and shows him how to improve. Just because you're in your last year and you've been player of the year doesn't mean you are no longer able to take advice and criticism.

I'd be interested to hear from non Tyrone posters how they thought Tyrone played on Sunday. Why do they think it was such an improved attacking performance? Was it just Donegal were poor in the tackle and allowed Tyrone more space or was it Tyrone more direct kicking style, maybe from the kick outs?

Taylor

Players obviously look up to him

Mickey rates him very highly

He attracts the best man marker on other team

BennyCake

Tyrone are still overrated in my opinion. Great win v Donegal but they won't play as well again, or be allowed to. They'll be found out later on.

BennyHarp

Quote from: BennyCake on June 21, 2017, 02:52:43 PM
Tyrone are still overrated in my opinion. Great win v Donegal but they won't play as well again, or be allowed to. They'll be found out later on.

How / where are Tyrone rated? I think most sensible analysis has them in a small chasing pack behind Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Do you think they should be rated lower than this? Below Kildare, Galway and Monaghan?
That was never a square ball!!

BennyCake

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2017, 02:58:23 PM

How / where are Tyrone rated? I think most sensible analysis has them in a small chasing pack behind Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Do you think they should be rated lower than this? Below Kildare, Galway and Monaghan?

They were talked as the main rivals to Dublin for the AI last year before the c'ship. I actually think they believed that themselves and got caught out by Mayo. Now they're second favourite for Sam after one good performance? I said last year they'd be nowhere near Sam, and while they might get as far as an AI semi, they'll be nowhere near good enough again.

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyCake on June 21, 2017, 03:07:44 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2017, 02:58:23 PM

They were talked as the main rivals to Dublin for the AI last year before the c'ship. I actually think they believed that themselves and got caught out by Mayo. Now they're second favourite for Sam after one good performance? I said last year they'd be nowhere near Sam, and while they might get as far as an AI semi, they'll be nowhere near good enough again.

Pains me to say it but they look very good at the moment. I think they have a chance

Fuzzman

But BennyCake is overrated not exactly what you want? Talk them up as much as you can so they come crashing back down again with a bang like last year. I'd say you were delighted for Mayo to burst the red hand bubble.

At least Tonto can say they played well on Sunday and admits they look like contenders again but I think most of know that they've not managed to beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin in Croker for a long long time now.
To me contenders mean top 4 who on their day with a big performance could win it.

Last year we could have had a decent enough run to the AI final having met Derry, Cavan, Donegal, Mayo and Tipperary had we beaten Mayo. A lot of ABDs would have loved to see that final.

This year it will could be a lot tougher with Derry, Donegal, possibly Monaghan, Kildare/Cork, Dublin and Kerry

We've scored 44 times already in two matches from 17 different player so far. Not bad for a team meant to be so defensive.