Tyrone v Donegal - Sunday 18th June at 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, May 29, 2017, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

After a rather uninspiring performance from Tyrone yesterday over old foes Derry, most Donegal fans would be thinking they are in a strong position to detyrone the current Ulster champions.
However, news from some club games in Donegal came through that both Michael Murphy and Neil McGee had to come off injured yesterday.
It's unsure how bad their injuries are but if Murphy is not available or not 100% fit it will be a big loss to Donegal.

However, on local radio this morning the Donegal management said they expect both players will be OK and back training soon.

Paddy McBrearty only came on in the second half in Donegal's win over Antrim, yet he still scored 1.02
Donegal scored 3.19 at home to Antrim whereas Tyrone failed to score a goal again in their 0.22 to 0.11 win.

Donegal will probably start as favourites as they finished the league strongly and look a lot fresher and attack minded compared to last year.
However I would still expect a defensive tactical battle between the local rivals similar to last year's Ulster final battle.

I wonder how Monaghan would prefer in the final or will we get a surprise from that side of the draw?

J70

First, I'd expect Monaghan will be praying it's us, given their "issues" with Tyrone.

Second, Rory better have something up his sleeve to prevent a repeat of last year, where we had tonnes of possession, but kept going back and forward across midfield before being stripped of the ball trying to break the Tyrone 45. Especially as we are a younger team now, built more for speed than breaking through lines. Tyrone looked vulnerable to running yesterday early in the second half, but I'd expect they will play very conservatively and not leave much space to be exploited. Maybe McFadden and McBrearty, two strong ball winners, being kept inside (and used), would vary it and open it up, especially if they can get Murphy or Lacey on the ball to find them. But then again, how effective can it be if they're triple marked?

Also, we looked vulnerable ourselves to the diagonal ball into the right corner against Antrim, giving up a goal and several other very good opportunities. Wee Bradley would want to be watched in the area, although I'd expect us to be a bit more conservative too.

Tyrone are a bit further on than us. This is a big test for a number of inexperienced players (another reason Monaghan would fancy us more). It should be tight given it will not be an open game, but if we start foundering on the Tyrone 45 again, Tyrone might win with a few to spare.

Il Bomber Destro

The matchups will be interesting.

I'd expect:

Brennan on McHugh
Justy and McCarron managing Murphy between them
McNamee on McBrearty
McGrath to take Mark Bradley
McGee on Sean Cavanagh
Martin O'Reilly on Harte

BluestackBoy

I am expecting a very tight cagey match with no more than a point or two in it one way or the other. Neither side looked great in their opening games but did enough to win comfortably.

They say that goals win games & if that's true then Donegal might have an edge but not if they use the tactics they used in last year's Ulster final.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 29, 2017, 08:03:28 PM

They say that goals win games & if that's true then Donegal might have an edge but not if they use the tactics they used in last year's Ulster final.

This is a catch 22.

Donegal got criticised for taking pot shots against Monaghan two years ago when they hit a plethora of wides from distance and lost narrowly with McBrearty coming so close to leveling it at the end.

They then got criticised for not taking on the shots against Tyrone last year where it took a few wonderscores from Tyrone late on to edge it.

As for goals, Tyrone have the meanest defence in the game right now, in the big Championship games they've played in the past 2 years they haven't conceded any goals against Mayo, Kerry and Monaghan and didn't even concede a genuine goal opportunity in those games.

It will likely be a game decided on small margins but I don't think you can blame too much on Gallagher for last year's tactics. Those games were decided on very fine lines and sometimes you just have to accept that is football. We were on the wrong side of something similar with Mayo the next day out so it's just something you have to accept, rather than play the blame game, it's better focusing on the little things that could have made the difference.

Tyrone look  less impressive than this time last year and they're after a string of unimpressive performances in the latter stages of the league. Donegal look a better team than last year and the new lads and their freshness and added pace will definitely make Donegal a bigger threat in Croke Park this year but not sure how much it will change things in Clones in a Ulster tie.

Tyrone 8/11 and Donegal 6/4 is a bit surprising for me. I would have thought Donegal might be going in as slight favourites, I would expect those odds to close in before throw in.

J70

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 29, 2017, 10:08:57 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 29, 2017, 08:03:28 PM

This is a catch 22.

Donegal got criticised for taking pot shots against Monaghan two years ago when they hit a plethora of wides from distance and lost narrowly with McBrearty coming so close to leveling it at the end.

They then got criticised for not taking on the shots against Tyrone last year where it took a few wonderscores from Tyrone late on to edge it.

As for goals, Tyrone have the meanest defence in the game right now, in the big Championship games they've played in the past 2 years they haven't conceded any goals against Mayo, Kerry and Monaghan and didn't even concede a genuine goal opportunity in those games.

It will likely be a game decided on small margins but I don't think you can blame too much on Gallagher for last year's tactics. Those games were decided on very fine lines and sometimes you just have to accept that is football. We were on the wrong side of something similar with Mayo the next day out so it's just something you have to accept, rather than play the blame game, it's better focusing on the little things that could have made the difference.

Tyrone look  less impressive than this time last year and they're after a string of unimpressive performances in the latter stages of the league. Donegal look a better team than last year and the new lads and their freshness and added pace will definitely make Donegal a bigger threat in Croke Park this year but not sure how much it will change things in Clones in a Ulster tie.

Tyrone 8/11 and Donegal 6/4 is a bit surprising for me. I would have thought Donegal might be going in as slight favourites, I would expect those odds to close in before throw in.

The odds are correct. Donegal's new players are unproven at this point.

On last year, we went 20-odd minutes without a score in the second half, despite monopolizing the possession. I don't think you can just absolve Rory of all blame, especially when someone like Leo McLoone, who has the strength to bust through tackles, was left on the bench (not for the only time last season). But, the key will be whether Donegal will be prepared for it this time. If they try various things and it doesn't work because we are not up to it, fair enough, but just strolling and handpassing about between the two 45s, before eventually getting stripped of the ball over and over again, absolutely will not do this time.

redhandefender

After sundays game I do not see how we can beat Donegal, I think we have went backwards.

Same issues, scoring forwards, getting the ball to them quick, freetaking. Do be brought back to within 3 points of the worst derry side I have ever seen is brutal. The scoreline flattered.

Also we can't get goals this year

trueblue1234

Quote from: redhandefender on May 30, 2017, 12:01:17 PM
After sundays game I do not see how we can beat Donegal, I think we have went backwards.

Same issues, scoring forwards, getting the ball to them quick, freetaking. Do be brought back to within 3 points of the worst derry side I have ever seen is brutal. The scoreline flattered.

Also we can't get goals this year

Worse than that, we were level with them at the very start......
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Redhand Santa

Looking forward to this one after a bit of a tame opening game. It's obviously a massive game for both teams and neither will want a defeat at this stage. I really don't think Tyrone are as bad as many people are making out. We've a very fit athletic team and plenty of scoring options with a good defensive system. The league defeat will hopefully bring a real focus to the Tyrone team. Donegal have had a strong season so far but will be interesting to see how their younger players get on in their first big championship game.

One area id like to see us really improve on is an outlet from defence when we turnover teams. On Sunday Bradley was left one on one but when we won the ball had to run it as no link player round the middle. By time we ran it Derry had men back.

Conall McCann was very good on Sunday and it was the first time he performed for Tyrone. Will be a big test for him the next day but he did enough that it would be very harsh to leave him out. If there is going to be changes the two half forwards could come under pressure. Mccarron, mcnabb, mccurry, Mcclure, mulgrew will all be pushing for places if fit.

omagh_gael

I'd go with the following:

Morgan
Hampsey (McCrory may be more likely to start)
McNamee
McCarron
McCann
Justy
Harte
Conal McCann
C Cavanagh
Donnelly
Sludden
McClure
Bradley
Sean
McCurry

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 30, 2017, 08:56:30 PM
I'd go with the following:

Morgan
Hampsey (McCrory may be more likely to start)
McNamee
McCarron
McCann
Justy
Harte
Conal McCann
C Cavanagh
Donnelly
Sludden
McClure
Bradley
Sean
McCurry

I think Rory Brennan has to start for the simple reason that he has kept tabs on Ryan McHugh when he has picked him up. Did a great job on him in Ballybofey on his Championship debut in 2015 and did another great job on him when introduced last year in the Ulster final. Not sure if he man marked him in the u21 Ulster final in 2015 also where he got the MOTM award.

Il Bomber Destro

Looks like Donnelly will avoid a ban for his altercation with McKaigue, a very lucky boy.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 01, 2017, 06:45:03 PM
Looks like Donnelly will avoid a ban for his altercation with McKaigue, a very lucky boy.

Of all the mysteries of the GAA, trying to explain the disciplinary processes to outsiders is the most difficult.

omagh_gael

Where'd you get your information?

omaghjoe

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 01, 2017, 06:47:19 PM

Of all the mysteries of the GAA, trying to explain the disciplinary processes to outsiders is the most difficult.

Well in this case its quite easy, when there is inconclusive evidence of something happening generally no one can be held accountable.