Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGaliv

It all boils down for me to when you are playing Dublin you have to take your chances. We didn't.
Very hard to take as I did think we could compete with them and maybe a bit of luck we could see what happens in the last 15 if we were staying close

You know you're back in the serious end of the championship when other counties are groaning on within our match thread. Absolute clowns saying Mayo of 2017 would have put up more of a fight yesterday. That has as much relevance as us saying the galway 98 team would have beaten Dublin yesterday. Will have to work out this ignore version.

stephenite

Quote from: DJGaliv on August 12, 2018, 10:17:55 AM
Absolute clowns saying Mayo of 2017 would have put up more of a fight yesterday. That has as much relevance as us saying the galway 98 team would have beaten Dublin yesterday.

Dead right

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 12, 2018, 09:49:43 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on August 12, 2018, 08:54:27 AM
Just a comment on the Super 8 setup:

We took 80 kids from our club to the match yesterday for a day out.
We couldn't believe we would get to see a Dublin match, but got the tickets and had a fantastic day.

There is no way we would have got these number of tickets for an AISF last year.
Maybe a positive point on the Super 8s is that it makes big matches more accessible for the neutral?

I would say there would be plenty of GAA folk who would have went to the match yesterday if they had known tickets were available.
It may take a couple of years for this to filter through, but I could see this actually energising the championship.
If your own team is muck, head to Croker for the day when the big matches are on!

Whatever the style and brand of football, nothing beats going there for a big game.

Your enthusiasm is admirable but is put in the shade by your efforts in giving 80 kids a brilliant day out in a great stadium with the Dubs in their pomp and their supporters in full voice (even if it was about the referee at times). Just a pity the Galway players and supporters didn't turn up to compete.

GRMA
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Rossfan

Apart from wide eyed kids very few are going to pay  €45 as a neutral to watch another victim rolling up for execution.
I hate Croke Park and the whole "experience". (Nothing to do with the 4-24s).
The Dublin customers roll up at the last minute, thousands queueing at bars, chippies and shops. It's a real soccer type thing -but at least in soccer teams have to play every 2nd game away.g
Give me a match in any Provincial ground any day of the week.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2018, 11:12:30 AM
Apart from wide eyed kids very few are going to pay  €45 as a neutral to watch another victim rolling up for execution.
I hate Croke Park and the whole "experience". (Nothing to do with the 4-24s).
The Dublin customers roll up at the last minute, thousands queueing at bars, chippies and shops. It's a real soccer type thing -but at least in soccer teams have to play every 2nd game away.g
Give me a match in any Provincial ground any day of the week.

Each to their own - I would prefer the spin to Dublin from Newry over Newry to Clones any day of the week.

larryin89

Quote from: stephenite on August 12, 2018, 10:41:13 AM
Absolute clowns saying Mayo of 2017 would have put up more of a fight yesterday. That has as much relevance as us saying the galway 98 team would have beaten Dublin yesterday.

Dead right

How is it dead right FFS , all we were saying was Mayo last year were streets ahead of what Galway showed yesterday , that's dead right make no mistake about that.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BarryBreensBandage

I thought Galway were the better team in the first half yesterday.
However, I can't understand teams, especially underdogs, that try something that works, and then stop doing it.
Galway kicked a high ball in to the square at the start of the match and got a goal.
I think they kicked one more in the whole match, resorting to hail mary point efforts, when there was plenty of room round the Dublin 21 for them to work.

dublin7

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2018, 11:22:00 AM

Dead right

How is it dead right FFS , all we were saying was Mayo last year were streets ahead of what Galway showed yesterday , that's dead right make no mistake about that.

This thread is about Galway v Dublin. Mayo fans need to accept they weren't good enough this year, last year or the year before. All this make believe head in the sand belief that after avoiding relegation this season by the skin of their teeth, beaten by Galway AND kildare they would somehow have gone toe to toe with the dubs. Start another make believe, fairyland  thread if you want to discuss such nonsense.

As someone pointed out to beat the dubs you need to take every chance and hope dubs make mistakes, have an off day. If Galway had scored the pen and gone maybe 4/5 in front it might have given them a 2nd wind in the 2nd half when dubs turned the screw and it would have been interesting to see how the dubs would have reacted.

One of the problems with  the shorter season is the extra expenses over a short period of time. It's been an expensive  month for Galway fans who follow both codes. Must have left some people picking and choosing which games to attend. Easy to see why if they had to miss a game for financial reasons someone would pick the football yesterday

criostlinn

Ya can talk about Mayo 2017, Galway 2001 etc till the cows come home. The simple fact of the matter is it's August. Galway don't do football after July anymore. To worried about racing and festivals and posing up and down shop street to be worried about football this time of year

larryin89

seafoid

Dead right

Of course they were
Teams have an arc of progress and Mayo were further along but also closer to the end
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Dead right

But it's not last year. No point in harking back to the days of all thr near misses all the time.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Looked like a sticky day yesterday. Galways ginger brigade must have found it tough.

The Hill is Blue

Galway had a good first half yesterday and the penalty miss was a disaster for them, but there is no way that it cost them the game. They were only two points behind at half time, a deficit that could have been wiped out in three or four minutes if they were real contenders. But as soon as the ball was thrown in for the second half it was clear that they were not going to be able to hold on to the Dubs' coattails.

Commiserations to the Galway lads on this forum but as a Dubs supporter I'm delighted with the win and extremely proud of this exceptional group of lads.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

larryin89

So no mention of M ... Then. Where do Galway have to improve to be genuine contenders , watching yesterday I just felt it looked obvious that Dublin had a far superior level of fitness power pace etc . Some of Dublins points in the second half were at leisure cause Galway just completely faded out due to lack of legs, there was space all over for the Dublin attack .