Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Galway played like a team that knew they couldn't win this match. The missed penalty was a big turning point.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Wildweasel74

Tom Flynn been a big plus for Galway this year but he got ate by  Fenton 1st half and McCarthy the 2nd! Walsh probably the only lad to play to his full ability;  Dublin off the boil but Costello; mannion; McCaffery and fenton all good the day@

GalwayBayBoy

Dublin just too good. We needed to take nearly all our chances to be close at the end and we missed loads. Hard to see them being stopped in the final. And probably next year too.

Jayop

Cluxton starting to look like a human this year. Still better than all but one keeper in the country at the minute but making more errors this year than the last ten combined.

I'm aware I'm grasping at straws here for an Ulster winner.

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on August 11, 2018, 06:36:49 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 11, 2018, 06:31:01 PM
Its funny how Galway have had Mayo number past few years but Mayo would have given Dublin plenty to think about the day given how poor they have been!

Nowt funny about it , Mayo 16 and 17 peaked for finals , Galway not near that standard , today proved that to people like me who actually thought Galway were capable .
It took Mayo 6 years to get to the 2016 standard. This is Galway's first semi. Mayo are meanwhile banjaxed
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

Tyrone or Monaghan havent the physical big men to compete round the middle area with Dublin! Mayo with the 2 OSheas; Parsons; Keegan; had the physical power to contest these areas!

Jayop

Won't surprise me at all to see Galway back stronger in the semi final next year if they can learn from that. Mayo on the other hand look badly on the slide.

Jayop

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 11, 2018, 06:45:59 PM
Tyrone or Monaghan havent the physical big men to compete round the middle area with Dublin! Mayo with the 2 OSheas; Parsons; Keegan; had the physical power to contest these areas!

And the defenders to go man to man. We simply don't have the players to defend like that and it's pulling players from elsewhere to cover.

sans pessimism

Dublin in 2nd gear and well below their normal standard
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Jayop on August 11, 2018, 06:46:59 PM
Won't surprise me at all to see Galway back stronger in the semi final next year if they can learn from that. Mayo on the other hand look badly on the slide.

Ah yeah we'll be there or thereabouts again next year. Lots of talented young players coming through. Difficult to see how the gap to Dublin can be bridged though unless they somehow begin to slide. Which doesn't seem like it's happening any time soon. They might even have Connolly back next year.

Mayo Mick

Would not agree that we are on slide and we will be back next year as a force. But Galway have potential to build towards at least reaching an AI final in next 2 or 3 years. They now know the physical and fitness levels they need to reach and they also know the players that are not up to it at this level.  A good year for Galway on the learning curve.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Jayop

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 11, 2018, 06:53:37 PM

Ah yeah we'll be there or thereabouts again next year. Lots of talented young players coming through. Difficult to see how the gap to Dublin can be bridged though unless they somehow begin to slide. Which doesn't seem like it's happening any time soon. They might even have Connolly back next year.

Aye I agree. I'm obviously hoping Tyrone win tomorrow anyway but even more so to see if we've managed to close the gap from the hiding we took there last year from them. If we can get closer that will give the likes of Galway great hope that another year can bring it closer. Not at all looking past Monaghan though.

As for Galway I can see ye dominate Connaught for a few years now and be one of the perennials in the semi finals. Especially if they rejig the super 8 to give the provincial winners more of an advantage than they got this year.

Jayop

Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 11, 2018, 06:57:30 PM

Would not agree that we are on slide and we will be back next year as a force. But Galway have potential to build towards at least reaching an AI final in next 2 or 3 years. They now know the physical and fitness levels they need to reach and they also know the players that are not up to it at this level.  A good year for Galway on the learning curve.

Mick I see maybe one more rattle from the lads that have got ye so close for years before it collapses. Without new players coming in every year its just not possible to stay at your level for ever.

Mayo Border

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2018, 06:44:01 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 11, 2018, 06:36:49 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 11, 2018, 06:31:01 PM
Its funny how Galway have had Mayo number past few years but Mayo would have given Dublin plenty to think about the day given how poor they have been!

Nowt funny about it , Mayo 16 and 17 peaked for finals , Galway not near that standard , today proved that to people like me who actually thought Galway were capable .
It took Mayo 6 years to get to the 2016 standard. This is Galway's first semi. Mayo are meanwhile banjaxed
Mayo banjaxed? Is that a fact. Mayo never threw in the towel in such abject fashion as Galway today. Very poor showing for Connacht football.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2018, 06:35:02 PM
Mayo can go toe to toe with Dublin because they have a very strong middle third of the field.
They win plenty of possession and the best HB line in the country (when fit) give them an attacking platform.
That plus a freetaker has almost been enough in recent years.
Fancy dan forwards aren't much use when you're getting wiped out around the middle.

Definitely seems that way but maybe tradition means that Galway's forwards are a bit overrated and Mayo's forwards are underrated? Galway converted something like 14 chances out of 33 created whereas Mayo had a 59% conversion rate in the final last year against the Dubs.