Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Estimator

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2018, 07:38:03 AM
What about tyrone in 86 and armagh in late 70s?

Tyrone beat Galway in the '86 semi final
Armagh beat Roscommon (after a replay) in the '77 semi final.
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Unlaoised on August 08, 2018, 11:20:19 AM
Dublin will beat Galway by 12 points or more !

I heard that a lot before the league match and then again the league final. Maybe they will this time sure. They are certainly capable of putting a big score on anyone.

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 08, 2018, 12:37:54 PM
Galway by two in a low scoring game

That seems like the prediction of an extremely optimistic Galway supporter as opposed to someone with your username  ???

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 08, 2018, 01:01:33 PM

That seems like the prediction of an extremely optimistic Galway supporter as opposed to someone with your username  ???

Or just an honest prediction? Or is there some script that I have to say Dublin will win because I have a Mayo username? 🤷🏻‍♀️

fearsiuil

Monaghan game last weekend a no-win game for Galway. Play to win and risk players & sharpness for semi-final following weekend. Play a weak team to save for semi-final and risk a hiding. Think Walsh went somewhere in between and still got well beat.

Galway recent history before this year is one of being very inconsistent and a bit watery, they have had a very consistent year up to last weekend which is the game just before their biggest test against the Dubs - the last game you want to go into with any doubts or drop in confidence.

Dubs played a new front 6 vs Roscommon and brought on lads that normally see no action as subs along with defensive & midfield changes. Galway started 12 of usual starting 15 and scored 8 points in total.

Biggest challenge Walsh has is rising Galway players to believe they can win this one. Kick outs were poor in Monaghan game and won't go unnoticed by Galvin. Seems Galway lads on here have a very low expectation and hope to keep the score respectable?

Have my tickets sorted and will be hoping Galway can win this one against the head. My hope is that if they get themselves in same position they did in league final that they will at least have a right cut at winning the match.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: fearsiuil on August 08, 2018, 01:27:26 PM
Biggest challenge Walsh has is rising Galway players to believe they can win this one. Kick outs were poor in Monaghan game and won't go unnoticed by Galvin. Seems Galway lads on here have a very low expectation and hope to keep the score respectable?

Hard for anyone go in confident of beating this Dublin side. You have to play very very well and probably hope that they are a bit off the game on the day. And maybe most importantly you just have to stay in the game for as long as possible. Galway did all that in the league final but probably waited too long to use their bench to give them that extra push for the final 15 minutes. Avoiding Dublin getting in for a couple early goals is paramount because once they get 4 or 5 up it can quickly get out of hand if you have to chase them.

I'll be delighted if nothing much happens for the first 20 minutes and the score is 0-3 to 0-5 or something. Getting Comer more involved would be nice. Dublin couldn't really handle him when Galway got ball into him in the league final but the service dried up as the game went on.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 08, 2018, 01:24:33 PM

Or just an honest prediction? Or is there some script that I have to say Dublin will win because I have a Mayo username? 🤷🏻‍♀️

No and I hope you are correct in your prediction. Just a bit surprised as plenty in Mayo are hoping for only one thing from Saturday and it is not a narrow Galway victory!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 08, 2018, 01:41:21 PM

No and I hope you are correct in your prediction. Just a bit surprised as plenty in Mayo are hoping for only one thing from Saturday and it is not a narrow Galway victory!

Id rather see Galway win than Dublin, why would I want another Dublin walkover?

Tubberman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 08, 2018, 02:24:47 PM

Id rather see Galway win than Dublin, why would I want another Dublin walkover?

Neither option is palatable, but I know which I'd least prefer!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

I'm surprised that you should think Mayo won't support the heron chokers. For decades both counties have happily bet the crap out of each other but when one is knocked out of the running, the majority of its followers will row in behind the other one.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Dublin will win by however many they want to. If they feel like making a statement they'll run away with the match when Galway are forced to come out and attack in the final 20 minutes.