Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

If Galway hang in there for 60 minutes and are then still capable of putting pressure on Cluxton for the last ten minutes they are in with a shout.

Still, it's better Dublin are getting each year so unlikely that Galway will be still in the match with 20 minutes left.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Galway are the only team going in with a loss in their last group game. Can they pick up momentum again? If they can, thet might hang on in there as highorlow said. If not it could end up being ugly.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Hill is Blue

The only certainty about next Saturday is that no one knows who will win. However we can be sure that Galway will come out like demons and will fight until the final whistle. My nightmare scenario is that Galway will be in a position the run down the clock in last five minutes with Dublin scrambling to get their hands on the ball.

It's an All Ireland semi final and a two horse race - anything can happen.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 07, 2018, 02:00:59 PM
The only certainty about next Saturday is that no one knows who will win. However we can be sure that Galway will come out like demons and will fight until the final whistle. My nightmare scenario is that Galway will be in a position the run down the clock in last five minutes with Dublin scrambling to get their hands on the ball.

Dublin will win its about the margin of victory that no one knows for certain. If it's close Dublin will be in a position the run down the clock in last five minutes with Galway scrambling to get their hands on the ball.

Two horses one a serial winning thoroughbred the other a young horse that needs milk and needs to learn how to jump.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 07, 2018, 03:05:46 PM

Dublin will win its about the margin of victory that no one knows for certain. If it's close Dublin will be in a position the run down the clock in last five minutes with Galway scrambling to get their hands on the ball.

Two horses one a serial winning thoroughbred the other a young horse that needs milk and needs to learn how to jump.

That's what I thought on All Ireland final day 1992
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 07, 2018, 04:07:02 PM

Dublin's 1992 team and todays team is like chalk and cheese. Dublin went from 1983 to 1995 before winning the All Ireland and the 95 team was probably the worst ever side to win the All Ireland in my lifetime. 

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 07, 2018, 04:07:02 PM

Comparing Dublin 1992 and the monied, AIG and GAA sponsored Dublin 2018 might be the most embarrassing lack of perspective you've displayed yet.

seafoid

A Galway win would be like Cork v Kerry 83 or Down v Kerry 91 or Mayo v Kerry 96

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on August 07, 2018, 06:23:49 PM
A Galway win would be like Cork v Kerry 83 or Down v Kerry 91 or Mayo v Kerry 96

In fairness Kerry 1996 was a very inexperienced team.

imtommygunn

Why pick those 3. A galway win would be a big shock.

galwayman

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2018, 09:53:25 PM

None of those are in any way comparable.
Dublin have won 5 AIs in 7 years.
None of those 3 Kerry teams were reigning AI champions - in fact two of them hadn't won Munster in 5 years before that.

heffo

Targetman

We fully expected to beat Kerry in 91!! No shock there

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on August 07, 2018, 10:11:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2018, 09:53:25 PM

None of those are in any way comparable.
Dublin have won 5 AIs in 7 years.
None of those 3 Kerry teams were reigning AI champions - in fact two of them hadn't won Munster in 5 years before that.
The all Ireland context is less important. Beating Dublin is psychological. Mayo couldn't do it. Tyrone couldn't do it. Kerry couldn't do it.
Since the end of the 60s ulster teams lost every time to Munster or Leinster opposition . Connacht teams couldn't manage it either. That was psychological.
Then Down beat Kerry. Everyone neutral expected Kerry to win. Everyone expects Dublin to win the next day.

Champions win in part because of the respect that the opposition gives them. Why do Real win so many Champions League finals ? 

It's interesting for Galway fans because the hurlers are in the incumbent role and the footballers are challenging and the dynamics for both are different.

Clare on Sunday had no problem scoring when 2 points down but they could not get an equalise in the last 10 minutes.