Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 08, 2014, 03:40:57 PM
Do a lot of fighters not also want to prove that they are the best?  I would hope that Frampton would want to make money but also push himself to the limit to see how far he could go.  No boxer is unbeatable and while Rigondeaux is unbelievably elusive and fast, he has been beat before and Frampton is getting better and possesses the skill set to possibly beat him.  No need to rush it though, take on the mandatory and fight Cruz and/or Quigg.  If he comes through all those tests he will be a better fighter for it and hopefully Rigondeaux will still be there.

Course you do, and becoming a world champion at one of those divisions is a start, but like I've said already, don't rush into this, fight the other guys first, I'd say 4 defences and financially (and no guarantee he'll win those) he'll be sorted before taking on the likes of Rigondeaux.

All about the TV rights/deals now, the 3 fight contract with Boxnation is over and time to look at a better deal elsewhere. I'd say Carl will box with a lot more confidence now with the title.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 08, 2014, 03:40:57 PM
Do a lot of fighters not also want to prove that they are the best?  I would hope that Frampton would want to make money but also push himself to the limit to see how far he could go.  No boxer is unbeatable and while Rigondeaux is unbelievably elusive and fast, he has been beat before and Frampton is getting better and possesses the skill set to possibly beat him.  No need to rush it though, take on the mandatory and fight Cruz and/or Quigg.  If he comes through all those tests he will be a better fighter for it and hopefully Rigondeaux will still be there.

Everyone loses an amateur fight here and there, even the very best. Twice Olympic champion, unbeaten as a pro.

Rigo is also El Chacal - the Jackal, just like Carl. Potential slant to it. Don't see it happening any time soon.

blewuporstuffed

Big crowd at City hall there today for Frampton reception.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

The Iceman

Was at the Frampton fight and had a great evening/night (despite the cold temperatures). A couple of questions for any punters out there who went:

Why do most people wait until the last couple of fights to come in to the arena? Therefore missing all of the under-card and some cracking fights?

I was out at the portaloos a few times (serious queue's) and people were openly snorting drugs (likely coke) on two occasions even though there was a drone overhead - is this normal for belfast now (and I don't mean the drones)?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Iceman on September 15, 2014, 05:57:07 PM
Was at the Frampton fight and had a great evening/night (despite the cold temperatures). A couple of questions for any punters out there who went:

Why do most people wait until the last couple of fights to come in to the arena? Therefore missing all of the under-card and some cracking fights?

I was out at the portaloos a few times (serious queue's) and people were openly snorting drugs (likely coke) on two occasions even though there was a drone overhead - is this normal for belfast now (and I don't mean the drones)?

As in most cities drugs are very common, but more so when you head to a boxing fight. I've always felt a little uneasy at any boxing bill I've been at, always simmering. Too many ex/wanna be boxers about coked/drunked out of their skulls looking for some action

Other than that it twas grand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 15, 2014, 07:28:04 PM

As in most cities drugs are very common, but more so when you head to a boxing fight. I've always felt a little uneasy at any boxing bill I've been at, always simmering. Too many ex/wanna be boxers about coked/drunked out of their skulls looking for some action

Other than that it twas grand

I've come across it in Belfast more often in the last couple of years I'd say as things start to pickup there's more money about to fire up your nose I guess. . .

JimStynes

This does my head in! Why would u pay for a ticket and only go watch one fight ffs. I have stopped going to the last few boxing events in belfast because of the spide element floating about. Tends to draw in a crowd of sum bags.

The Iceman

I sat and watched all the fights with my da. There were a few spides about but not too many at least donw where we were sitting. Fair few gippos about as there was a lad from limerick fighting who no doubt knows his way around a caravan.
For the first 4/5 fights there was maybe 1000 - 2000 people in - then for the last 2 the full 16000 were in attendance  - waste of money IMO but I enjoy the fights more than the occasion.
Very impressed with that lad from John Breen's gym - McCullough - he looked the real deal.
Conrad Cummings was rough around the edges but looked good enough.
O'Kane was a dose. He knew he was beat I think on the firt exchange and didn't want anything to do with Stapulionis. Stuck the head in him a few times and opened a nasty cut. Very dirty, scrappy fight that wasn't nice to watch at all. He was lucky to keep the belts with a technical draw.
that lad Anthony Cacace was tidy to watch. Real talent and power to match.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Iceman on September 15, 2014, 09:00:27 PM
I sat and watched all the fights with my da. There were a few spides about but not too many at least donw where we were sitting. Fair few gippos about as there was a lad from limerick fighting who no doubt knows his way around a caravan.
For the first 4/5 fights there was maybe 1000 - 2000 people in - then for the last 2 the full 16000 were in attendance  - waste of money IMO but I enjoy the fights more than the occasion.
Very impressed with that lad from John Breen's gym - McCullough - he looked the real deal.
Conrad Cummings was rough around the edges but looked good enough.
O'Kane was a dose. He knew he was beat I think on the firt exchange and didn't want anything to do with Stapulionis. Stuck the head in him a few times and opened a nasty cut. Very dirty, scrappy fight that wasn't nice to watch at all. He was lucky to keep the belts with a technical draw.
that lad Anthony Cacace was tidy to watch. Real talent and power to match.

Next big thing

J OGorman

Paul Smith,  the latest fighter to experience a home town score card in Germany. Pro boxing decisions in a Germany are becoming a farce. The fight was close, there's no doubting that, but that was ridiculous

BennyHarp

Quote from: J OGorman on September 27, 2014, 11:32:21 PM
Paul Smith,  the latest fighter to experience a home town score card in Germany. Pro boxing decisions in a Germany are becoming a farce. The fight was close, there's no doubting that, but that was ridiculous

Absolutely agree, I think it could have gone either way but no way did Smith only win one round. Must be very frustrating.
That was never a square ball!!

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 27, 2014, 11:36:04 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 27, 2014, 11:32:21 PM

Absolutely agree, I think it could have gone either way but no way did Smith only win one round. Must be very frustrating.

Boxing is a joke would make FIFA look like a Guardian angel convention, the fact that nobody has gave a f**k enough to do anything about it shames it even more. It borders on Fraudulent. It might as well be WWE, at least they call it Entertainment.

J OGorman

Watching the recaps during the rounds , you'd swear Smith did an Audley on it and never threw a punch. Crazy stuff

Kidder81

No boxing expert but I watched it and thought Abraham was well ahead

bennydorano

I happened to be flicking about the Channels last night and watched the last 3 rounds of the fight.  I was listening to Watt, the other gobshite and the 2 gobshites in the studio and I was thinking to myself, the Brits tend to carried away with their reading of fights when one of their own is involved and I bet Abraham wins handsomely.  General consensus seems to be it was a lot tighter than the scores suggested, but the Brit commentators are deadly for getting carried away, no objectivity at all.