Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

http://balls.ie/gaa/called-weaker-counties-time-star-xv/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Interesting article. Players here winning all stars in spite of early championship exits thanks to form over year.

J70

It's quite simple. If Donaghy wasn't available,  Donegal or Mayo would be All Ireland champions.

He deserves it.

SuperDooperCooper

I am not a big fan of this 'award' as too often it flies in the face of reality.  Players picked to get them an award rather than picked in the position they played.

Surprising to see only 5 for Kerry and 3 each for beaten semi-finalists.  Fairly sure if Dublin won the AI, they would have 7-9 All Stars.  Poor selection to 3 Dubs honoured; these guys destroyed inferior division two/three teams and then when the crunch came they were nowhere to be seen against Donegal.  PF and DC were excellent for the first 20 minutes of that game, but when the team needed them to deliver scores in the second half they failed.  Connelly definitely deserved one he was excellent even in that second half. Flynn was not there when it mattered; he got a 'handy' one I feel.  Unbelievably James Mccarthy gets an all-star despite their whole half-back line getting destroyed against Donegal.  This is the award I have most issues with; I can't see any way he deserved one.

For me Aidan O'Mahony is the big looser, he is nine years older than Michael Murphy and completely nullified him in the biggest game of the year.  He was fantastic all year for us and definitely deserved one ahead of McCarthy. Frank McGlynn & Thompson deserved one ahead of McCarthy as well.  A special mention for Donncha Walsh, another consistently good year for him, in my view well deserving of an all-star but alas he doesn't have the media profile of other candidates; hopefully a county final; medal on Sunday will make-up for his omission. 

blanketattack

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 23, 2014, 10:23:25 AM
The all stars as a format is done. This year proves it. One player plays two games and gets one. Some players play well all year and don't. It is the team of the year and player of the year. Yet it's not picked on the basis of the year. Just August and September. The players getting ones out of position going on too long as well.

The semifinals and finals and to a lesser extent the 1/4s are all that really matter. Picking All-Stars based off the provincial c'ships is like Fifa basing the Golden Ball winner on the qualifying matches.

Jinxy

Michael Murphy didn't deserve an All-Star this year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Esmarelda

Is the team defined as "The Team of The Year"? If so I fail to see how anyone could argue for Donaghy.

If it's for biggest impact then surely he'll be winning player of the year too?

McHugh for Donaghy with Murphy going to full forward for me. James McCarthy beggars belief. On the other hand I might be of this view mainly because he had such weak opposition. I think someone like Mone should have got it.

sans pessimism

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on October 23, 2014, 01:33:41 PM
I am not a big fan of this 'award' as too often it flies in the face of reality.  Players picked to get them an award rather than picked in the position they played.

Surprising to see only 5 for Kerry and 3 each for beaten semi-finalists.  Fairly sure if Dublin won the AI, they would have 7-9 All Stars.  Poor selection to 3 Dubs honoured; these guys destroyed inferior division two/three teams and then when the crunch came they were nowhere to be seen against Donegal.  PF and DC were excellent for the first 20 minutes of that game, but when the team needed them to deliver scores in the second half they failed.  Connelly definitely deserved one he was excellent even in that second half. Flynn was not there when it mattered; he got a 'handy' one I feel.  Unbelievably James Mccarthy gets an all-star despite their whole half-back line getting destroyed against Donegal.  This is the award I have most issues with; I can't see any way he deserved one.

For me Aidan O'Mahony is the big looser, he is nine years older than Michael Murphy and completely nullified him in the biggest game of the year.  He was fantastic all year for us and definitely deserved one ahead of McCarthy. Frank McGlynn & Thompson deserved one ahead of McCarthy as well.  A special mention for Donncha Walsh, another consistently good year for him, in my view well deserving of an all-star but alas he doesn't have the media profile of other candidates; hopefully a county final; medal on Sunday will make-up for his omission.
surely Walsh deserved one for his riverdance impression in the first game v Mayo......
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 23, 2014, 02:53:20 PM
Is the team defined as "The Team of The Year"? If so I fail to see how anyone could argue for Donaghy.

If it's for biggest impact then surely he'll be winning player of the year too?

McHugh for Donaghy with Murphy going to full forward for me. James McCarthy beggars belief. On the other hand I might be of this view mainly because he had such weak opposition. I think someone like Mone should have got it.

couldnt agree more. DM had a brilliant season.

From the Bunker

Not a bit surprised to see only 5 Kerry players! The surprise is the ones from Kerry who got awards and did not!

Michael Schmeichal

Don't be annoying my hole. Kerry lads have been winning All Stars for beating inferior opposition since the year dot.

If you want to take All Stars off Flynn and McCarthy for one  poor half of football well we better take James O Donoghue's off him too because he was crap for the whole AIF.

Then you want to give an All Star to Aidan O Mahony because he marked a lad out of it that was younger than him? I don;t remember seeing special exemptions for auld lads anywehere in the selection criteria. And he wasn't fantastic all year he was adequate. He may have just about deserved one but it should be at the expense of Paul Murphy or Peter Crowley who only got one to boost Kerry's numbers up a bit.

The reason Kerry have only 5 nominations is because they are the worst team to win an All Ireland in living memory. Fitzmaurice deserves a Nobel Prize for miracles.

drici

INDIANA

Bullshit AOM had six players in front of him helping him mark no-one. At least Mc carthy takes respnsibility for marking his bloody man!

AOM was replaced against Mayo. I was surprised Mc Carthy got one but it should have been Mc Glynn to get one not AOM.

Next you'll be telling me Donncha Walsh is a better player then Flynn and Connolly. There is no wing forward in Ireland that could lace their boots. flynn is up there with the Doohers and Spillane's as one of the finest wing forwards ever to play the game.

Walsh is a good player but  This idea that he's turned into Paul Galvin overnight is Kerry created and nobody else. I think for his level of natural ability he's carved out a very good career for himself and good luck to him.

But he wouldn't get into Dublin's half forward line never mind being selected ahead of of either of our wing forwards. Five was  a fair number when you consider Kerry's soft route to the final. Bar Mayo you beat no-one to get there.

You've built up a huge number of all-irelands beating shit teams on route to an AI semi final every godamn year.

twohands!!!

Quote from: blanketattack on October 23, 2014, 01:38:36 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on October 23, 2014, 10:23:25 AM
The all stars as a format is done. This year proves it. One player plays two games and gets one. Some players play well all year and don't. It is the team of the year and player of the year. Yet it's not picked on the basis of the year. Just August and September. The players getting ones out of position going on too long as well.

The semifinals and finals and to a lesser extent the 1/4s are all that really matter. Picking All-Stars based off the provincial c'ships is like Fifa basing the Golden Ball winner on the qualifying matches.

Kerry lost no inter-county game while Donegal, Dublin and Mayo only lost 1 [Mayo after a replay and extra-time with Kerry]

All other teams lost 2 inter-county games in a lot of cases against far weaker opposition.

From the Bunker

Kerry were never going to get more than 5 All Stars. The final was boring and disappointing. They got 2 more than a Mayo team they played against with an extra man for a half of the first game and had an extra man for a virtual home game for the replay and extra time.

seafoid

Donnacha Walsh is better than Connolly as well.
I think the allstars were so evenly divided this year because any of the 4 could have won Sam on their day.
But it's very dull for the rest of us. Armagh deserved an award on behalf of fallen women such as Meath and Galway.