Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

The Sunday Game team of the year:
Paul Durcan (Donegal); Aidan O'Mahony (Kerry), Neill McGee (Donegal), Keith Higgins (Mayo); Paul Murphy (Kerry), Peter Crowley (Kerry), Colm Boyle (Mayo); David Moran (Kerry), Neil Gallagher (Donegal); Paul Flynn (Dublin), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Ryan McHugh (Donegal); James O'Donoghue (Kerry), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Cillian O'Connor (Mayo)

Some notable absentees. One good game in the final shouldn't be enough to oust a man who has played the shirt off his back all year.

It will be interesting to see what the actual All Star team looks like relative to this.

yellowcard

If Durcan gets an All Star I'll be amazed.

J70

Donaghy will get an All Star.

Without him, Kerry would not be champions.

Canalman

Have to say the SG team picked isn't too bad.

Honestly can't see Durcan getting the gk spot after the AIF and neither will Cluxton after the AISF. A safe solid keeper will and should get it . No one sticks out though.

POTY imo should be Neil McGee but O'Donoghue would be a worthy winner as well and he will get it.

J70

Quote from: Canalman on September 22, 2014, 11:04:10 AM

Honestly can't see Durcan getting the gk spot after the AIF and neither will Cluxton after the AISF. A safe solid keeper will and should get it . No one sticks out though.

POTY imo should be Neil McGee but O'Donoghue would be a worthy winner as well and he will get it.

Yeah, Durcan had two bad mistakes in the final which should rule him out. Cluxton didn't do much wrong though this year, so it will probably be him. Durcan will get a nomination though.

yellowcard

McGee has been outstanding all year, his record against his direct opponents (all of whom were among the best players in the country) was outstanding. Conceded very little scores from play and popped up with a few points himself. O'Donoghue was poor yesterday but probably done just enough in previous games to edge the award.

Sidney

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 03, 2014, 10:00:53 AM

Odds offered on Aaron when he couldn't get in the Armagh half back line? Probably speaks to the weakness in the process that is the press involvement and the help that doing a bit of meeja work adds
Kernan's superb man-marking job on his Dromintee opponent on Friday night will surely ensure his All-Star for this year.

AZOffaly

I think it's funny he's marking him. :)

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2014, 01:10:20 PM

Reminds me of Keith Higgins man marking a torn hamstrung Eoghan o gara last year

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2014, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2014, 01:10:20 PM

Reminds me of Keith Higgins man marking a torn hamstrung Eoghan o gara last year

Ouch. Cruel.

imtommygunn

I would agree more with the independent's team than the sunday game's one. Marc O'Se we outstanding in the final - barely gave McFadden a kick - and always stood up when counted.

Not so sure about leaving Flynn out but think AIdan O'Shea has to be in there somewhere.

Jinxy

Would you have Ryan McHugh in your team before Paul Flynn?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J OGorman

Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2014, 12:33:07 PM

McGee has been outstanding all year, his record against his direct opponents (all of whom were among the best players in the country) was outstanding. Conceded very little scores from play and popped up with a few points himself. O'Donoghue was poor yesterday but probably done just enough in previous games to edge the award.

JOD was far from poor on Sunday. Watch the game again. Was played a good distance out, dont think anyone had anymore possessions and he played killer passes for a few key scores. Has had a brilliant campaign but Connolly for me has been by some distance the player of the year

haranguerer

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 23, 2014, 09:13:08 AM
I would agree more with the independent's team than the sunday game's one. Marc O'Se we outstanding in the final - barely gave McFadden a kick - and always stood up when counted.

Not so sure about leaving Flynn out but think AIdan O'Shea has to be in there somewhere.

McFadden was brutal all year