Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Would be amazed if there's more than one All-Star from teams that didn't make the AISFs this year. I think it's quite likely there will be none, particularly given none of the losing quarter-finalists won their province and that's usually what nets one of them an All-Star.

thewobbler

Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 01, 2014, 11:17:17 PM
1. P Durcan (Donegal)
2. P McGrath (Donegal
3. N McGee (Donegal)
4. K Higgins (Mayo)
5. P Crowley (Kerry)
6. C Boyle (Mayo)
7. F McGlynn (Donegal)
8. N Gallagher (Donegal)
9. D Moran (Kerry)
10. R McHugh (Donegal)
11. P Flynn (Dublin)
12. D Connolly (Dublin)
13. C O Connor (Mayo)
14. M Murphy (Donegal)
15. J O Donoghue (Kerry)

I don't think you'll be too far away here. Hard to see anyone else from the semi-finalists coming into contention now, while COC, Higgins, Connolly and Flynn are nailed on. In fact the 6 forwards are nailed on. The likes of Donaghy or Lacey might have a say yet, but one or the other would need to be MOTM in the final.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: thewobbler on September 02, 2014, 08:14:26 AM
1. P Durcan (Donegal)
2. P McGrath (Donegal
3. N McGee (Donegal)
4. K Higgins (Mayo)
5. P Crowley (Kerry)
6. C Boyle (Mayo)
7. F McGlynn (Donegal)
8. N Gallagher (Donegal)
9. D Moran (Kerry)
10. R McHugh (Donegal)
11. P Flynn (Dublin)
12. D Connolly (Dublin)
13. C O Connor (Mayo)
14. M Murphy (Donegal)
15. J O Donoghue (Kerry)

I don't think you'll be too far away here. Hard to see anyone else from the semi-finalists coming into contention now, while COC, Higgins, Connolly and Flynn are nailed on. In fact the 6 forwards are nailed on. The likes of Donaghy or Lacey might have a say yet, but one or the other would need to be MOTM in the final.

Not disagreeing, but you have to go back to 2005 for the last year the team was exclusively picked from the semi finalists (and at that it was picked from three teams, with Cork getting none after being demolished by Kerry in the semi)
Hasta la victoria siempre

macdanger2

1. P Durcan (Donegal)
2. P McGrath (Donegal
3. N McGee (Donegal)
4. K Higgins (Mayo)
5. P Crowley (Kerry)
6. C Boyle (Mayo)
7. F McGlynn (Donegal)
8. N Gallagher (Donegal)
9. D Moran (Kerry)
10. R McHugh (Donegal)
11. P Flynn (Dublin)
12. D Connolly (Dublin)
13. C O Connor (Mayo)
14. M Murphy (Donegal)
15. J O Donoghue (Kerry)

That team will be fairly close alright I'd say. Meaningless awards though when all is said and done

seafoid

Armagh might get one as well. And Shane Walsh could be an outlier.

orangeman

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 02, 2014, 10:04:33 AM
1. P Durcan (Donegal)
2. P McGrath (Donegal
3. N McGee (Donegal)
4. K Higgins (Mayo)
5. P Crowley (Kerry)
6. C Boyle (Mayo)
7. F McGlynn (Donegal)
8. N Gallagher (Donegal)
9. D Moran (Kerry)
10. R McHugh (Donegal)
11. P Flynn (Dublin)
12. D Connolly (Dublin)
13. C O Connor (Mayo)
14. M Murphy (Donegal)
15. J O Donoghue (Kerry)

That team will be fairly close alright I'd say. Meaningless awards though when all is said and done

7 Donegal and 3 Kerry.

If Kerry beat Donegal I can't see it being 7-3 in favour of Donegal.

It wasn't that long ago that we were talking about Dublin getting 15.

nrico2006

If McFadden has a big final he will get one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

beer baron

Charlie Vernon could get in for Armagh,had a great year playing in defence.  Odhran Mc Niallais if he has a big final will be in with a shout too having had a brilliant 1st year playing Championship football.

imtommygunn

Goalie, number 2 or midfield not nailed on for donegal.

Aidan o'shea would have to be there or thereabouts.

Much depends on the final i guess.

Mcfadden has been poor this year by his standards though shown good character despite this. Couldn't see him getting one.

O'sullivan must be in with a shout.

Connolly has to get one. Some of his points on sunday were amazing and when other big names around him wilted he stood up.(apart from the wide at the end)

Sidney

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 02, 2014, 10:54:02 AM

Connolly has to get one. Some of his points on sunday were amazing and when other big names around him wilted he stood up.(apart from the wide at the end)
Connolly deserves a nomination for Player of the Year, although O'Donoghue will and should get it. Himself and Flynn were the two best players on the pitch on Sunday.

easytiger95

Jaysis Sidney, two best Dublin players on the pitch. Thought Murphy was magnificent on sunday, McHugh did incredible damage and Neil Gallagher was brilliant. Key for Donegal was the other 12 played at a very high standard as well - no passengers.

Sidney

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 02, 2014, 11:21:32 AM
Jaysis Sidney, two best Dublin players on the pitch. Thought Murphy was magnificent on sunday, McHugh did incredible damage and Neil Gallagher was brilliant. Key for Donegal was the other 12 played at a very high standard as well - no passengers.
I thought the performances of both Connolly and Flynn were above that produced by any individual Donegal player. That's a reflection of Donegal's performance being a total, system-based team effort and Dublin's performance not being that and relying on individuals to try and pull them through.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: orangeman on September 02, 2014, 10:24:13 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 02, 2014, 10:04:33 AM
1. P Durcan (Donegal)
2. P McGrath (Donegal
3. N McGee (Donegal)
4. K Higgins (Mayo)
5. P Crowley (Kerry)
6. C Boyle (Mayo)
7. F McGlynn (Donegal)
8. N Gallagher (Donegal)
9. D Moran (Kerry)
10. R McHugh (Donegal)
11. P Flynn (Dublin)
12. D Connolly (Dublin)
13. C O Connor (Mayo)
14. M Murphy (Donegal)
15. J O Donoghue (Kerry)

7 Donegal and 3 Kerry.

If Kerry beat Donegal I can't see it being 7-3 in favour of Donegal.

It wasn't that long ago that we were talking about Dublin getting 15.

Agreed, That team was just picked on form up to now. If Kerry win the final then all will change
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Sidney on September 02, 2014, 11:12:16 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 02, 2014, 10:54:02 AM

Connolly deserves a nomination for Player of the Year, although O'Donoghue will and should get it. Himself and Flynn were the two best players on the pitch on Sunday.

No guarantees of anyone winning anything at the moment.

The final always has a huge bearing on the awards.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Put Up That Flag

1 Darren O'Malley
2 Neil Collins
3 Niall Carty
4 Keith Higgins
5 Lee Keegan
6 Colm Boyle
7 Conor Daly
8 Aidan O'Shea
9 Kevin Higgins
10 Kevin McLoughlin
11 Shane Walsh
12 Cregger...........obviously
13 Senan
14 Andy
15 COC

Cregger and Andy for joint player of the year, no Kerry lads on it because they are not good enough to make the cut