Android Phone

Started by tbrick18, September 12, 2011, 09:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Thinking of getting a new phone, mine is ancient. Looking at the Androids as I dont really buy into the whole Apple think (more style than substance for me).
From what I can make out the HTC seem to be market leader but there any gods amount of models. Does anyone have one or know what the latest HTC is?
Or would the likes of a Blackberry/Samsung/Sony Ericson be a better option?

Minder

Mate has the HTC Sensation, which I think is their latest model and it looks a great bit of gear.

http://www.stuff.tv/review/htc-sensation
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maddog

I have one. Its sound but i only have interest in either texting or phoning. All the other stuff i dont bother with. Although the map app has come in handy a couple of times when out cycling in the back of beyond.

Olly

A lot of people are going retro these days. The all singing all dancing mobile phones are starting to wreck people's lives as the police etc can now trace your steps and other people are crashing their cars because they're updating their statuses.

I'd recommend the below effort, simply because it does the simple things.

Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

tbrick18

Quote from: Olly on September 12, 2011, 02:47:24 PM
A lot of people are going retro these days. The all singing all dancing mobile phones are starting to wreck people's lives as the police etc can now trace your steps and other people are crashing their cars because they're updating their statuses.

I'd recommend the below effort, simply because it does the simple things.

That's remarkably like the phone I have! I just cant fit it into my pocket is the problem.

Hardy

It's hauling the batteries around behind you in the cart that's a drag.

front of the mountain

does anyone else have a samsung galaxy???

Mines only few months old, great phone but it would turn itself off a least once a day. only way to turn on again is to take battery and out put it in again!! very annoying!!!???

Is this a fault these phones??

tbrick18

Quote from: front of the mountain on September 12, 2011, 04:51:29 PM

Mines only few months old, great phone but it would turn itself off a least once a day. only way to turn on again is to take battery and out put it in again!! very annoying!!!???

Funny you should say that, I have a samsung....not even sure what model but its a fair age....it does exactly the same. It also tends to drop calls or not receive calls even when I have a signal. Puts me right off Samsung...but I just assumed my particular phone was fecked.

andoireabu

have one of those yokes and it does the same though less often than yours.  Can be annoying but mine turns back on without the battery having to come out.  I took it to the O2 shop and asked was there a fault in these phones but the said no and they had never heard of the problem.  If your phone isn't too old it might still be covered by the warranty
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Nally Stand

Have the galaxy s2. No such problems at all (at least not yet)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

stew

Quote from: andoireabu on September 12, 2011, 06:05:31 PM

have one of those yokes and it does the same though less often than yours.  Can be annoying but mine turns back on without the battery having to come out.  I took it to the O2 shop and asked was there a fault in these phones but the said no and they had never heard of the problem.  If your phone isn't too old it might still be covered by the warranty

You are supposed to reboot the phones by taking the battery out every other day or so, this helps with battery life tremendously in some phones.

I hate the android phone I have, the Iphone is a far more user friendly handset.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Boycey

Seriously pal get yourself an iPhone, you know it makes sense.

blast05

I-phone 4, while still a brilliant phone, is completely outdated compared to the leading model of all other major smart phone manufacturers. The I-phone 5 (if rumoured specs are to be believed) will only compare with specs of competeters current leading models .... so with dual core processors, full 1080HD cameras, games support from SonyEric to compare with Sony PSP and with HDMI output to TV .... then Apple will be left even further behind.
Of course all these types of facts will be lost on the wider public cos of the marketing genius's at Apple.

My current model .... SonyEricsson Xperia Arc (ex I-phone). For me, it's up near the top (if not the top) cos of:
- 720p HD video camera (quality when displaying it on my 47" TV is hard to believe - incredible to think it comes from a mobile. Well ahead of watching a non HD channel and on a slightly smaller TV it would be difficult to determine any difference compared to a full HD channel). I spent over a grand on a top full HD camcorder about 2 years ago that still costs about 650 but realise now that a standard handset will compare in another 2-3 year's !
- Still picture camera really good in low light.
- HDMI cable output to TV..... brilliant for kids cartoons on YouTube !
- Sony Bravia technology in screen displaying giving exceptional picture quality on the device.

For anyone buying and wishing to compare various brands, just do a search comparing 2 models. Any amount of reviews online.

tbrick18

Quote from: blast05 on September 12, 2011, 07:46:26 PM
I-phone 4, while still a brilliant phone, is completely outdated compared to the leading model of all other major smart phone manufacturers. The I-phone 5 (if rumoured specs are to be believed) will only compare with specs of competeters current leading models .... so with dual core processors, full 1080HD cameras, games support from SonyEric to compare with Sony PSP and with HDMI output to TV .... then Apple will be left even further behind.
Of course all these types of facts will be lost on the wider public cos of the marketing genius's at Apple.

My current model .... SonyEricsson Xperia Arc (ex I-phone). For me, it's up near the top (if not the top) cos of:
- 720p HD video camera (quality when displaying it on my 47" TV is hard to believe - incredible to think it comes from a mobile. Well ahead of watching a non HD channel and on a slightly smaller TV it would be difficult to determine any difference compared to a full HD channel). I spent over a grand on a top full HD camcorder about 2 years ago that still costs about 650 but realise now that a standard handset will compare in another 2-3 year's !
- Still picture camera really good in low light.
- HDMI cable output to TV..... brilliant for kids cartoons on YouTube !
- Sony Bravia technology in screen displaying giving exceptional picture quality on the device.

For anyone buying and wishing to compare various brands, just do a search comparing 2 models. Any amount of reviews online.

I agree with you on the I-Phone and all Apple technology, more style over substance if you ask me.
I was looking at the HTC Sensation seemed like a good phone but Sony Ericsson you say...interesting. Whats the bettery life like? I'm told the HTC needs charged every day.

AbbeySider

iPhones are Ok but you cant really multi task and you are generally tied down to other apple products like iTunes etc

The Samsung Galaxy S2 or the HTC Sensation are the two phones I would recommend.
But I am an Android developer so maybe I am biased!