Android Phone

Started by tbrick18, September 12, 2011, 09:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: HiMucker on September 14, 2011, 02:11:54 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 14, 2011, 01:59:23 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on September 14, 2011, 10:15:10 AM
Just got a HTC wildfire the other day.  What you make of them Abbeysider.

How do you send whats app messages were the recipent actually hears you saying the message to them.  At the minute it only sends the message in text format after I have spoken into the phone?

Wildfire is a nice entry level smartphone, only difference between it and the Desires is memory and processor speeds.
I dont understand that second bit!
Right the missus told me that her mate sends Whats app messages to her mates.  When they open them, tehri phone reads the messages in her voice.  Like a voice mail, only in an instant mesage.  Is this balls or what?  Hope you can understand this tripe that I have wrote  ???

Speaking into the phone is a voice-type function. What what's app allows you to do is to send files as well as messages via attachements, so you have to record your voice using the Voice Recorder app. Cumbersome but then again that's not what What's App is for.

Eamonnca1

blewuporstuffed

my brother recently lost his phone, a samsung galaxy. no big deal as it was insured so he just cancelled it and got a new one.
turns out though someone handed it into the bar a few days later, so he got the old one back again!
problem is it is now locked or barred or whatever they do to it.
is this phone completely useless now or can it be unlocked or used for anything?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Main Street

Sadly I lost my faithfull button phone last month and replaced it with a samsung galaxy gio. After a month of use, I find it user hostile, finger/thumb repellant and generally an awkward piece of software to navigate around.  Probably I will give it my daughter and find something else.

front of the mountain

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 13, 2011, 04:07:21 PM
I've only got my Samsung Galaxy a couple of weeks and it knocks itself off, dead, I'd say a couple of times a day at least. Its not out of power. I just hold the power button in a couple of times and it comes back on. Interestingly, a mate of mine rang me one time the phone was off like this and he told me it rang as normal, it was as if I just didn't answer. What should I do? Take it back to the O2 shop? I'm delighted with it besides this.

I never heard about rebooting the phone like Stew mentioned - should I be doing this?

I recently heard it is a fault to do with the Wifi being left on all the time, when wifi is off it doesnt seem to switch itself on, so only turn on wifi when u need or looking it!

Nally Stand

Quote from: front of the mountain on October 13, 2011, 10:19:57 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 13, 2011, 04:07:21 PM
I've only got my Samsung Galaxy a couple of weeks and it knocks itself off, dead, I'd say a couple of times a day at least. Its not out of power. I just hold the power button in a couple of times and it comes back on. Interestingly, a mate of mine rang me one time the phone was off like this and he told me it rang as normal, it was as if I just didn't answer. What should I do? Take it back to the O2 shop? I'm delighted with it besides this.

I never heard about rebooting the phone like Stew mentioned - should I be doing this?

I recently heard it is a fault to do with the Wifi being left on all the time, when wifi is off it doesnt seem to switch itself on, so only turn on wifi when u need or looking it!
Galaxy S or S2 Magpie?

I thought I was alone with that problem! I have a Galaxy S2 and I'm having the exact same issue, however I often notice it happening when I'm away from the house, during which times my Wifi is barely ever switched on.

Also having issues where the internet stops working on wifi every so often, and once you turn the wifi off and on again, it's OK again (at least for while). Starting to p1ss me off, because like yourself magpie, I think it's a great phone outside of that.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AbbeySider

There could be some apps running services in the background that is killing memory...

North Longford

Have a similar problem with my Samsung. Love the phone but almost solely when I am listening to a voice message or leaving one the screen becomes dead. Can still hear the message in the background etc etc but can only hang up by taking out the battery. its extremely annoying. Gonna bring it back to the shop tomorrow see what they say. If they've heard of the problem I'm gonna direct them to this thread!!!!

Nally Stand

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 13, 2011, 01:42:08 PM
There could be some apps running services in the background that is killing memory...

Nope  :-\ I use the 'task manager' fairly regularly to kill off any background running apps or processes I don't need. Might bring it back myself to see what they have to say.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Link

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 13, 2011, 01:52:39 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on October 13, 2011, 01:42:08 PM

Nope  :-\ I use the 'task manager' fairly regularly to kill off any background running apps or processes I don't need. Might bring it back myself to see what they have to say.

+1, task manager is easily used and can clear RAM with one touch

laoislad

The new Samsung Nexus looks the dags ballix...

Is 4.6inches too big though...(not often you hear that being said)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Nally, task killers are redundant on Android 2.2 or anything above and actually end up costing you battery life.

LL, not too sure about the Nexus itself, although the curve will reduce the effect of the size in your hands. Ice Cream Sandwich looks incredible. I'd wait and see.

Nally Stand

Gallsman, I was actually just looking up that ice cream sandwich lark a few minutes ago and didn't have a clue what it was at first. Any word when it will be available on the Galaxy S2? Can you download the upgrade or would it only be available on new phones? Probably a stupid question but I wouldn't pretend to be too clued in about all this kind of thing!!

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 20, 2011, 12:20:35 AM
Gallsman, I was actually just looking up that ice cream sandwich lark a few minutes ago and didn't have a clue what it was at first. Any word when it will be available on the Galaxy S2? Can you download the upgrade or would it only be available on new phones? Probably a stupid question but I wouldn't pretend to be too clued in about all this kind of thing!!

A while I imagine, I don't know what kind of spec phone is needed to run it. It takes Android to a whole new level. Assuming the Galaxy S2 can run it, I imagine  it will be along in a few months, via over-the-air update.

tbrick18

Like a mentioned earlier, I eventually bought a HTC Sensation which was great. But over the last week or so, it has been switching itself off and this is becoming very annoying. There doesnt seem to be any pattern as to when it happens. Sometimes it does it while sitting idle, other times when I'm composing a message or just about to make a call. It doesnt seem to switch off mid call mind you.
Anyone any ideas before go back with it?