The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Two late loan signings before the end of the transfer window - Modou Barrow from Swansea and Alfonso Pedraza from Villarreal. Barrow is a forward and Pedraza a winger. Beyond that I don't know an awful lot about them.

Great win last night. Left it late but hung in and managed to snatch a late victory with Jansson's close range header. And speaking of Pontus, he will sign permanently from Torino in the Summer - huge boost that.

I see Brighton were well beaten tonight at Huddersfield - that keeps both Brighton and Newcastle within touching distance but of course leaves things very tight in the play off positions. Huddersfield win their game in hand and they go a point above us. The match on Sunday is therefore very important. From memory we have a decent enough record there - a win on Sunday and things will be really rocking!!   :)

MOT.

Rufus T Firefly

Painful defeat yesterday, shipping an 89th minute goal after it looked like we might hold out for a draw. Huddersfield to be fair were dominating, but I thought they did not look like scoring until a shot going wide was deflected into the path of a man, free in front of the nets - game over. Nicking a draw would have been great. Thought Rob Green had an excellent game in nets but thereafter there was no-one who really stood out for me - a mention for Wood maybe who scored again. Can't take anything for granted in this league, but the next few matches - home to Cardiff, home to Bristol City, away to Ipswich - offer opportunities to get the show back on the road. 

Billys Boots

Yeah, devastating late blow - they rode their luck a bit in Blackburn and the three points there is probably better than two draws.  I think the two derby losses recently may be dispiriting for the squad, but hopefully not.  Three winnable games ahead now; need to make them count. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Avondhu star

The Championship is a tough division. No clear runaway leader this year and any of the top 8 could go on a run. Brighton and Newcastle are as likely to drop points as any of the others.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Taylor

Great scenes after the winning goal yesterday. Plenty of passion on show from both teams. This type of joy is sadly missing from most PL games

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 06, 2017, 08:52:53 AM
Yeah, devastating late blow - they rode their luck a bit in Blackburn and the three points there is probably better than two draws.  I think the two derby losses recently may be dispiriting for the squad, but hopefully not.  Three winnable games ahead now; need to make them count.

I got Dad a birthday present of going to the Cardiff game this weekend, cannot wait, he hasn't been in years, huge game now as we usually bounce back and have to continue that. As im based in London im going to Fulham away aswell.

Huddersfield were ferocious but we were resilient, they probably deserved It but both there goals were fortunate, disappointed how we are performing against top 6, doesn't bode great for play offs, I think I would settle for that now, the scenes at the end were frustrating, think that will benefit us as if get Huddersfield in play offs we wont need any motivation at all, although they look primed for automatic promotion.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Hard fought victory on Saturday in a tense, if low quality game - one shot on target, one goal and three points. Wednesday were pretty poor too - they had one shot on target which brought a great save from Rob Green. Form is relatively indifferent (taking into account the home defeat to Cardiff and the draw at Ipswich) but the feeling for me is the over reliance on Wood up front could yet be our undoing. 

The big games keep coming - away to Birmingham on Friday night, which is live on TV. Right now, I'd settle for a play off place. The automatic promotion places look too far ahead and the form of the top three too good to see any sort of slip up. 

Billys Boots

God, it was awful to watch, but a good gap now to 7th.  Need to avoid losing to Fulham which is the game after Birmingham I think.  Preston seem to be the form team on the rise, for the moment. Saw Brighton-Reading over the weekend too - wouldn't be afraid of Reading by any means.  Huddersfield have good momentum going - I wouldn't want to see them again this season. 

SLIGONIAN

Great ugly win on Saturday, massive win, Fulham drawing was huge too, in fact everyone else dropped pts

It will be an interesting run in, Huddersfield drew but were on some run, brighton and Newcastle play each other tomorrow which is huge again, but one will drop pts, and we play brighton at home and Newcastle away yet

Id still take play offs though but if we can beat Birmingham and Fulham we could close to the top 2, im going to the Fulham game, pretty much a home game for me,

I not too worried about wood, he's not injury prone so should hold out, Charlie taylor is back in training but what does worry me is bartley is close to 10 bookings and a 2 match ban and Jansson is 2 away from 15 yellows which is a 3 match ban, they don't seem to be able to avoid bookings and missing either of those 2 is huge as cooper is poor, although ayling impressed when CB,
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Huge few weeks coming up - eight matches left, five of which are away. First one is on live, tomorrow evening, away to Reading.

Our form recently has been relatively good, and compares well with those around us. The gap has been narrowed to the top two, but I think time and fixtures are running out in that regard, as we are still eight and nine points off Brighton and Newcastle respectively. Still, barring a total collapse, play-offs are nearly guaranteed. 

The most recent match was the 2-0 victory over Brighton - thought it was very comfortable and could have had implications for the form of both teams towards the end of the season - but unfortunately the international break intervened. That will allow Brighton to regroup and may disrupt our momentum. Tomorrow evening will tell a tale.

The one concern at the moment would be the reliance on Chris Wood - if he gets crocked, the options look a bit threadbare.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 31, 2017, 08:13:48 AM
Huge few weeks coming up - eight matches left, five of which are away. First one is on live, tomorrow evening, away to Reading.

Our form recently has been relatively good, and compares well with those around us. The gap has been narrowed to the top two, but I think time and fixtures are running out in that regard, as we are still eight and nine points off Brighton and Newcastle respectively. Still, barring a total collapse, play-offs are nearly guaranteed. 

The most recent match was the 2-0 victory over Brighton - thought it was very comfortable and could have had implications for the form of both teams towards the end of the season - but unfortunately the international break intervened. That will allow Brighton to regroup and may disrupt our momentum. Tomorrow evening will tell a tale.

The one concern at the moment would be the reliance on Chris Wood - if he gets crocked, the options look a bit threadbare.

Wood was sent home prior to the NZ world cup qualifier - the wires say it was precautionary, but who knows. 

Rufus T Firefly

Our form recently has been relatively good, and compares well with those around us.

As can be seen by my last post on this thread, I was talking up our recent form, which any self respecting Leeds' fan will know is tantamount to inviting trouble and could be considered a 'schoolboy error'. So it has proved yet again as our form has taken a fall at the worst possible time. Monday's defeat at home to Wolves means four points taken from the last fifteen, and that situation has been exacerbated by the good form of the teams around us. For the first time since November, Leeds have fallen outside the play off places.

It's still very much in Leeds' own hands - away to Burton, home to Norwich and away to Wigan - three victories would almost certainly guarantee a play off spot, and indeed two victories and we'd be in with a good shout, given the fixtures coming up involve matches between our closest rivals. However the recent run of form can't be ignored and suggests at a deeper malaise - the inability to significantly threaten a mid-table, weakened Wolves team suggests to me that the team is feeling the pressure and not reacting well.   :-\   

Avondhu star

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 19, 2017, 08:07:48 AM
Our form recently has been relatively good, and compares well with those around us.

As can be seen by my last post on this thread, I was talking up our recent form, which any self respecting Leeds' fan will know is tantamount to inviting trouble and could be considered a 'schoolboy error'. So it has proved yet again as our form has taken a fall at the worst possible time. Monday's defeat at home to Wolves means four points taken from the last fifteen, and that situation has been exacerbated by the good form of the teams around us. For the first time since November, Leeds have fallen outside the play off places.

It's still very much in Leeds' own hands - away to Burton, home to Norwich and away to Wigan - three victories would almost certainly guarantee a play off spot, and indeed two victories and we'd be in with a good shout, given the fixtures coming up involve matches between our closest rivals. However the recent run of form can't be ignored and suggests at a deeper malaise - the inability to significantly threaten a mid-table, weakened Wolves team suggests to me that the team is feeling the pressure and not reacting well.   :-\   
One point out of fifteen last August wasn't a great help either. The Championship is easy to drop into but hard to get up out of again. The number of derbies doesnt help
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 19, 2017, 08:07:48 AM

Hopefully Sheff Wed and Fulham won't just need a point each by the time they meet at Hillsborough on the last day. Leeds need to make sure that these two need points off each other then a win at an already demoted Wigan should be enough.
That was never a square ball!!

Mourne Rover

The performance against Wolves was very disappointing but Monk has shown an ability to lift the squad at pressurised stages all season. There will be points dropped elsewhere among the group chasing play-off places and two wins from the last three games may well get Leeds over the line. If we can beat Burton at the weekend, we will be firmly back in the frame.