The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: thewobbler on February 04, 2020, 09:34:53 AM
I can't think of one other scrum half in history who has box-kicked anything close to the monotonous regularity of Murray. Rugby might be a game of territory but the sheer unusualness of it as a tactic makes me think it is more a reflex than a ploy.

I'm actually for Murray taking a few games on the sidelines, I think he's too comfortable.

seafoid

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2020, 09:17:46 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 03, 2020, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 03, 2020, 02:27:33 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 03, 2020, 12:54:01 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2020, 11:25:41 PM
No expert on scrum half play, but I find Murray ponderous and predictable.

I think he's very overrated. Box kick after box kick. Even in good positions.

He's world class at the box kick.

Unfortunately he's ran the same con too many times.

It's literally kicking the ball to the other team. There's nothing world class about it.

It's a game of territory.
It's a game of attrition these days

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2020, 11:42:28 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2020, 09:17:46 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 03, 2020, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 03, 2020, 02:27:33 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 03, 2020, 12:54:01 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2020, 11:25:41 PM
No expert on scrum half play, but I find Murray ponderous and predictable.

I think he's very overrated. Box kick after box kick. Even in good positions.

He's world class at the box kick.

Unfortunately he's ran the same con too many times.

It's literally kicking the ball to the other team. There's nothing world class about it.

It's a game of territory.
It's a game of attrition these days

True - and if Ireland aren't the bully. They pretty much have nothing left only Murray box kicking and hoping Kearney got on the end of it.

Main Street

If Ireland played a territorial game then would you not see  Murray offload to Sexton and the kick to touch, just as in the halycon days of Stringer and O'Gara?  Has Johnny not that skill in his repertoire?

moysider

Murray starts again. Only changes injury enforced.

NAG1

Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2020, 01:44:04 PM
If Ireland played a territorial game then would you not see  Murray offload to Sexton and the kick to touch, just as in the halycon days of Stringer and O'Gara?  Has Johnny not that skill in his repertoire?

I think people are getting carried away, do you think he is kicking that often off his own bat?
He is working to a tactical plan from the management.

If not after his second or third unauthorised box kick he would be sitting on the sidelines kicking his heels.

Rugby is a massively structured game.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: NAG1 on February 04, 2020, 02:05:39 PM

I think people are getting carried away, do you think he is kicking that often off his own bat?

If not after his second or third unauthorised box kick he would be sitting on the sidelines kicking his heels.

Especially in the N.Hemisphere teams....

johnnycool

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2020, 02:26:06 PM

Robbie Henshaw was asked about the difference between Schmidt and Farrell and he mentioned that Farrell was more relaxed about structure and that they'd more license to play what was in front of them.
There wasn't much sense of that on Saturday, but I suppose if you've played robotically for a few years then that's hard to shake off.

I can see Wales beating us this weekend but you'd hope for some invention from some of the leaders in the team.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on February 04, 2020, 02:36:00 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2020, 02:26:06 PM

Robbie Henshaw was asked about the difference between Schmidt and Farrell and he mentioned that Farrell was more relaxed about structure and that they'd more license to play what was in front of them.
There wasn't much sense of that on Saturday, but I suppose if you've played robotically for a few years then that's hard to shake off.

I can see Wales beating us this weekend but you'd hope for some invention from some of the leaders in the team.
There were some signs of change but it will take time
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trileacman

Henshaw is dirt too. I remind all the fanboys heralding his coming as the 2nd BOD. Big ad campaign for him from day 1 and he has really failed to deliver. Not that it's his fault but the adulation he got at the start of his career by the media big boys was laughable.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Crete Boom

Quote from: trileacman on February 04, 2020, 03:50:15 PM
Henshaw is dirt too. I remind all the fanboys heralding his coming as the 2nd BOD. Big ad campaign for him from day 1 and he has really failed to deliver. Not that it's his fault but the adulation he got at the start of his career by the media big boys was laughable.

That ad campaign only started when he was at Leinster and he was tearing it up for Connacht for two years before that and playing well for Ireland( the England game in the 2015 six nations and the France game in the 2015 world cup!!). So to say he has never delivered is harsh.
In fairness he looked the part playing 13 for Connacht with Bundee in a system that focused on attacking heads up rugby.
Maybe you could argue he has failed to deliver since his controversial move to Leinster.
Maybe a move back home to Connacht might be best for him.

Captain Scarlet

OK so hear me out as I am being shot down in a rugby WhatsApp group by lads who know a lot more than me BUT...
I'm told that there are serious lads coming up...BUT...not many new faces
I'm told that there are new tactics in place...BUT...Box Kick Murray is still at it and we have no width or offloads
I'm told that Andy Farrell is just in the door...BUT...he knows these lads inside out already and knows who could be brought in too.

Then I was totally shot down for saying we should feck one 6 Nations series for the sake of building...BUT...then you read stuff about the IRFU (no matter they say) care more for the 6 Nations as it brings coin and they can't afford a bad year.
Are we going to settle this year and do OK, and then rebuild next year?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on February 05, 2020, 03:09:59 PM
OK so hear me out as I am being shot down in a rugby WhatsApp group by lads who know a lot more than me BUT...
I'm told that there are new tactics in place...BUT...Box Kick Murray is still at it and we have no width or offloads
I'm told that Andy Farrell is just in the door...BUT...he knows these lads inside out already and knows who could be brought in too.

Then I was totally shot down for saying we should feck one 6 Nations series for the sake of building...BUT...then you read stuff about the IRFU (no matter they say) care more for the 6 Nations as it brings coin and they can't afford a bad year.

There are good players coming through, problem is....they are mostly Leinster players and will they get the gametime needed? 

Farrell will be a good coach, I was a bit disheartened at the weekend....but it was a win none the less against Scotland. Suppose he didn't have the luxury of a summer or November series to get some testing out of the way either so perhaps I was too harsh in wanting Earls, Aki and Murray dropped.

I don't think you can ever bum off a six nations, but seeing in what France have done and still managed to hammer what was the RWC Finalists, makes you wonder if someone was brave enough, who knows. The French as RWC hosts are definitely planning for the future but they might just have stumbled upon gold....if.....they can sort out their away form, which I suppose is irrelevant in 2023

Tony Baloney

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 05, 2020, 03:18:52 PM

There are good players coming through, problem is....they are mostly Leinster players and will they get the gametime needed? 

Farrell will be a good coach, I was a bit disheartened at the weekend....but it was a win none the less against Scotland. Suppose he didn't have the luxury of a summer or November series to get some testing out of the way either so perhaps I was too harsh in wanting Earls, Aki and Murray dropped.

I don't think you can ever bum off a six nations, but seeing in what France have done and still managed to hammer what was the RWC Finalists, makes you wonder if someone was brave enough, who knows. The French as RWC hosts are definitely planning for the future but they might just have stumbled upon gold....if.....they can sort out their away form, which I suppose is irrelevant in 2023
I can see why Farrell is taking the conservative approach as the boys above him in the IRFU probably want a fairly seamless transition from Joe. However, I would agree with you regarding the bravery to start again on his own terms, however the paymasters need to give him that freedom to build for the future even if that means waiting for success. Continuing with the old tactics isn't going to do him any favours and I think some of these lads are ready to be moved on.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 05, 2020, 03:18:52 PM

France won the last two U20 World Cups. Ireland finished 8th and 11th in those competitions.

Probably fair to say that France are better positioned to revamp their squad at the minute.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.