TV schedule 2018

Started by JoG2, May 04, 2018, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 09, 2018, 11:28:25 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2018, 11:24:30 AM
How many times in say the last 5 years have "small" football Counties' Provincial games been shown live?
RTÉ and Sky are paying to show games so will naturally go after the biggest audience to get some of their money back.

I would still have expected Tyrone /Monaghan to have been on - AI semi finalists and  qtr finalists 2017, and is it 4 if the last 5 Ulster titles?
Certainly not small football Counties.

I can think of several, especially on Saturday evenings. I remember Wicklow, Louth, Offaly, Carlow, Laois, Sligo, all on live TV. I think the Wicklow game was v Louth or someone.

Exactly, it wasn't that long ago Sligo beat roscommon on tv, it's good for two small counties like them to get their day in the spotlight;)

Farrandeelin

Imagine if the losers of Mayo/Galway were drawn against Tyrone/Monaghan. There's no way it would be shown going by those tv schedules. And it COULD happen.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tippabu

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 09, 2018, 11:37:32 AM
Imagine if the losers of Mayo/Galway were drawn against Tyrone/Monaghan. There's no way it would be shown going by those tv schedules. And it COULD happen.

Tyrone/monaghan, Cavan/Donegal, mayo/Galway all entering the 1st round

Rossfan

We are one of footballs heritage Counties.
Ye're new hurley Championships have scuppered the showing of early rounds throwball games.
What member of Joe Public would want to look at 2 poor little teameens handpassing a ball in circles instead of Galway,  Tipp, Cork Kilkenny etc firing a ball non stop up and down the pitch at breakneck speed with thrills and spills and excitement from start to finish.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2018, 11:42:59 AM
We are one of footballs heritage Counties.
Ye're new hurley Championships have scuppered the showing of early rounds throwball games.
What member of Joe Public would want to look at 2 poor little teameens handpassing a ball in circles instead of Galway,  Tipp, Cork Kilkenny etc firing a ball non stop up and down the pitch at breakneck speed with thrills and spills and excitement from start to finish.

What's the split of hurling v football games shown on tv? Genuine question

Rossfan

Looks like about 14 hurling and 7 football in the Provincials?.

JoG2

From what I can see:

rte:
Hurling      Football
15             17

Sky:
Hurling      Football
7               13

rte have the Galway Mayo match on the 13th May, then we've zero football on either channel until June 3rd. During this time, 16 provincial games will have been played by the looks of it 

tippabu

Small number more of football games shown. Biggest problem being it's the same teams in both mainly who are being shown.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2018, 09:55:51 AM
Obviously the TV Stations feel provincial hurling is a better spectacle than its  throwball equivalent.
Of course the deal should have been revised with the new formats -maybe giving TG4, Eirsport, TV3 and the 6 Cos Stations a chance to show a few games each?

I can see there being a bit of interest in the hurling group games this year out of novelty but I'd be shocked if the interest (both television viewers and crowds) holds up longer term, when folks realise that 3 of the 5 teams in Leinster and Munster will be progressing out of the group stages.

The other thing is the GAA needs to realise that there are in charge of their television rights. It seems as if they are still stuck in the mindset of RTE being the only show in town.
The reason the Tyrone Monaghan game isn't being shown seems to be mainly because RTE doesn't want viewers not watching the hurling games they are broadcasting.
The GAA should be telling RTE that they have rights to show the hurling, but they don't have the rights to stop BBC NI broadcasting it live.(it's especially crazy given BBC NI are going to have their cameras at the game anyway)
The general sense I get from the television rights deals is that the GAA just seem to take the money, roll over and have their bellies tickled and don't put up any sort of a fight in terms of dictating terms.

Maroon Manc

On the 15th July there is going to be a lot of pissed off people as there's the hurling quarter finals and 2 super 8 games and they'll only be covering 2 of them, my guess is they'll show the hurling. What a shambles.

SKY & RTE will both show one game each from the Super 8's on the Saturday.

longballin

Just have to go to the game then...

tippabu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 09, 2018, 05:32:47 PM
On the 15th July there is going to be a lot of pissed off people as there's the hurling quarter finals and 2 super 8 games and they'll only be covering 2 of them, my guess is they'll show the hurling. What a shambles.

I'd imagine they'll show 1 of each, that's the croke park games and provincial winners games. Ulster against Leinster  (they'll not not show Dublin) and Munster against connacht, so if it's mayo v Kerry it would be very hard not to show that too.

Rossfan

Quote from: longballin on May 09, 2018, 05:40:06 PM

What if you're Eugene McGee's uncle?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: tippabu on May 09, 2018, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 09, 2018, 05:32:47 PM

I'd imagine they'll show 1 of each, that's the croke park games and provincial winners games. Ulster against Leinster  (they'll not not show Dublin) and Munster against connacht, so if it's mayo v Kerry it would be very hard not to show that too.

That makes sense but we're going to have to wait until the Monday before the the games to find out, either way there's going to be plenty of disappointed people and its not on.

longballin

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2018, 05:58:35 PM
Quote from: longballin on May 09, 2018, 05:40:06 PM

What if you're Eugene McGee's uncle?

If Eugene McGee has an uncle, which I doubt, he's be well into his 90s.