Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Substandard

It will be interesting to see what happens.  A lot depends on what's happening with clubs around them.  There could be a seamless enough transition because there are a lot of talented young lads there, but some big names in big positions to be replaced.  If United, Arsenal aren't progressing fast enough,  then Liverpool will get away with more leeway.
If Arsenal can establish themselves as the prime contender against City, and I'm hoping that Utd can improve in the next couple of seasons,  then that would really up the pressure on Liverpool to keep the consistency they have shown, and there could be potential to fall back.
Real Madrid and Bayern Munich probably the only 2 clubs due to relative scale within their own leagues that would be insulated against a significant longterm falling away.  I think City post Guardiola could possibly go into a severe tailspin, especially if there was anything to come out of FFP or the likes. 

RedHand88

Has the fan doing the gesture been named or arrested yet?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 17, 2024, 08:39:13 PMSometimes adversity, or desperation brings out the best in a team.
Conceding two deflected goals, a patchwork defence, eventually with Bruno standing in at centre half. Maguire, Antony, Diallo and Maguire the unlikely heroes off the bench.

Liverpool looked electric for a while around when they plundered the two goals, but they were flat for long parts too.

It could be a sliding door moment in the two clubs' fortunes.
When Klopp goes, the underinvestment from Liverpool's tightwad owners will likely be laid bare.
A rebuild is needed anyway with Salah and Van Dijk nearing the exit.
In the 11 years since Ferguson retired and Utd imploded, Liverpool have only plundered a single league title, and when the Klopp fog clears, that shouldn't be viewed as hectic by any standard.

On the other hand, the INEOS regime at Utd have changed course and started to assemble a back office of people with a successful track record in running clubs, unlike the Goldman Sachs banker types which the Glazers had running the show.

The decade of damage done by the Glazers since Ferguson retired will be no short term fix by INEOS it will likely take years to be competitive and a consistent top team again with plenty of transfer window business required.

I wouldn't say it's been underinvestment by Liverpool as they  have spent big when needed and make good money on their transfers out. Michael Edwards was as good behind the scenes as Klopp was a manager and they are a club with the right structures in place whereby they should find the right and suitable replacement. Edwards left and now coming back with Klopp going suggests a fall out between the two however.

Going back to yesterday's cup classic. A deserved win as in the 1st half and all of extra time United was the better team in that match.  Liverpool was rather fortunate to be leading at half time so that somewhat balanced itself out for not scoring 2nd half. I think the deflected goal for Liverpool was their only shot on goal in extra time.  2-3 behind and winning 4-3 with a back four of Dalot,Maguire,Bruno Fernandez,Antony was truly remarkable. Very few teams from that situation would push on to win.

Could be sliding doors moment for Ten Hag, a good first season for him and this season has been hampered by injuries and remains to be seen how he does if and when the club gets proper structures in truth few would have done much better with the cards he's been dealt with.

quit yo jibbajabba

United fans big fans of Sliding Doors 🤣🤣

AustinPowers

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 18, 2024, 05:44:13 PMUnited fans big fans of Sliding Doors 🤣🤣

It's more like revolving doors given the amount  of crap that has  come and   gone in recent seasons

snoopdog

Southgate again linked to the utd job. That would be a disastrous appointment. Hopefully it's nonsense.

Armamike

Goldbridge isn't happy 😁
That's just, like your opinion man.

jcpen

Quote from: Armamike on March 21, 2024, 12:37:42 AMGoldbridge isn't happy 😁

It would be worth Southgate becoming manager just to get that idiot off the social media, he's an absolute dose.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

NAG1

Quote from: jcpen on March 21, 2024, 07:52:11 AM

It would be worth Southgate becoming manager just to get that idiot off the social media, he's an absolute dose.

Total dose and has been called out on numerous occasions for some of his bullshit.

That being said I would not be a fan of appointing Southgate.

AustinPowers

Quote from: snoopdog on March 20, 2024, 07:58:26 AMSouthgate again linked to the utd job. That would be a disastrous appointment. Hopefully it's nonsense.

I thought Southgate would  have come in after  the last   World Cup.  I still think he'll be the one United go for when  ETH goes.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 21, 2024, 10:57:08 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 20, 2024, 07:58:26 AMSouthgate again linked to the utd job. That would be a disastrous appointment. Hopefully it's nonsense.

I thought Southgate would  have come in after  the last   World Cup.  I still think he'll be the one United go for when  ETH goes.

Don't rate him to be fair, not sure he'd be an improvement on ETH ... Utd need an over haul in their style and identity
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

I'd be sticking with ETH. Far deeper issues at that club than the manager.

Southgate is woeful.

tiempo

Better to say f**k all and be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it

He's off he's tits that lad, indicative of the delusions of a lot of MU fans though to be honest

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on March 21, 2024, 12:15:18 PM

Better to say f**k all and be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it

He's off he's tits that lad, indicative of the delusions of a lot of MU fans though to be honest

Good swiping generalisations  ;D

Where do I start with them lol?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Quote from: NAG1 on March 21, 2024, 08:18:57 AM
Quote from: jcpen on March 21, 2024, 07:52:11 AM

Total dose and has been called out on numerous occasions for some of his bullshit.

That being said I would not be a fan of appointing Southgate.

He's Alan Partridge like in his delivery and many people including many non United fans love him. He quit his job (policeman) to become very wealthy from his self created youtube fan channel and the sensationalism shite that is talksport employed him. Goes to show all that is needed to become famous and rich nowadays.