Why is Camoige not called hurling?

Started by Dinny Breen, March 27, 2017, 12:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Dunno, Dinny.
It's an awful pity football and hurling for both genders aren't under a single association though.
That'd be too much like sense.
My understanding is that the camogie and ladies football associations are the most resistant to it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Political I suspect, people don't like to give up their perceived power..

My daughter wants to know why she plays camoige and her brother plays hurling, I have no explanation.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Explain 'skorts' to her, while you're at it.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2017, 12:41:53 PM
Anyone?

Do Hurling and Camogie have exactly the same rules then?  If not, there's your answer!

shark

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 27, 2017, 01:02:01 PM
Anyone?

Do Hurling and Camogie have exactly the same rules then?  If not, there's your answer!

I thought there are no rules? Let the game flow.

AZOffaly

Ladies Football and Mens Football don't have the same rules either, exactly, but they are still called the same thing, albeit with the additional 'Ladies' explicitly mentioned at the front to differentiate from the implicit 'Mens'.

I think, ironically, that the Camogie Association are more open to joining the GAA. The Ladies GFA seem to be a bit more resistent, at least that's the story I was told at a coaching conference last year.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 27, 2017, 01:02:01 PM
Anyone?

Does men and ladies football have the exact same rules? No, yet they are called the same!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Eamonnca1

Indy and Milwaukee call it hurling even though they play co-ed in their pub leagues. Works well too. Only when they send teams to the USGAA finals do they start dividing up by gender.

As for the OP question, I always found it odd that we have a different word for the female version of the same sport. Doesn't happen in soccer or lacrosse or hockey or anything. Can't think of another sport where this happens. I suppose it fits in with the kind of gender segregation that pious Catholic Ireland once foisted on youngsters.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 27, 2017, 09:21:37 PM
As for the OP question, I always found it odd that we have a different word for the female version of the same sport. Doesn't happen in soccer or lacrosse or hockey or anything. Can't think of another sport where this happens. I suppose it fits in with the kind of gender segregation that pious Catholic Ireland once foisted on youngsters.

Netball basically started as female basketball. And does every thread have to come back to bashing the Catholic church, Camogie was played in Ireland when female sports were not usual in many countries.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Walt Jabsco

The name was invented by Tadhg Ua Donnchadha (Tórna) at meetings in 1903 in advance of the first matches in 1904.  Men play using a curved stick called in Irish a camán. Women would use a shorter stick, at one stage described by the diminutive form camóg. The suffix -aíocht (originally "uidheacht") was added to both words to give names for the sports: camánaíocht (which became iománaíocht) and camógaíocht. When the Gaelic Athletic Association was founded in 1884 the English-origin name "hurling" was given to the men's game. When an organisation for women was set up in 1904, it was decided to anglicise the Irish name camógaíocht to camogie

Hardy

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on March 27, 2017, 10:10:09 PM
The name was invented by Tadhg Ua Donnchadha (Tórna) at meetings in 1903 in advance of the first matches in 1904.  Men play using a curved stick called in Irish a camán. Women would use a shorter stick, at one stage described by the diminutive form camóg. The suffix -aíocht (originally "uidheacht") was added to both words to give names for the sports: camánaíocht (which became iománaíocht) and camógaíocht. When the Gaelic Athletic Association was founded in 1884 the English-origin name "hurling" was given to the men's game. When an organisation for women was set up in 1904, it was decided to anglicise the Irish name camógaíocht to camogie

Thanks for that research Walt - good work.

Dinny Breen

So we have the origin but why is it still retained?
#newbridgeornowhere

rosnarun

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on March 27, 2017, 10:10:09 PM
good research
did you ever see a distinction between Hurley and hurling as mention by Michael cusack in setting up the Dublin Hurling Club Pre GAA
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere