"the kids are alright!!??"

Started by lawnseed, March 23, 2017, 02:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 24, 2017, 09:32:17 AM
How about this for trying to write the history books

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/18/california-lawmaker-wants-schools-to-teach-children-about-alleged-russian-interference-in-election/

Depends on what the investigations find out. Wikileaks and the alleged connections with Russia were certainly a prominent factor in the election.

Its a long way short of the nonsense conservatives have been trying to pile into school history and science curriculums, downplaying slavery for example.

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on March 24, 2017, 12:33:21 PM

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/18/california-lawmaker-wants-schools-to-teach-children-about-alleged-russian-interference-in-election/

Depends on what the investigations find out. Wikileaks and the alleged connections with Russia were certainly a prominent factor in the election.

Its a long way short of the nonsense conservatives have been trying to pile into school history and science curriculums, downplaying slavery for example.
Well that's the point. Wouldn't you wait before insisting anything is amended? But why would a politician be so keen to put it in? Rewriting history before history has even been written.

Eamonnca1

We were taught the same. Ancient history was interesting, good to know about the Greeks, the Romans, the Persians and so on. But when it got to "modern" history it started in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth Field and it was all about the English kings thereafter. Luckily we had a teacher who spent a few weeks teaching about Irish history even though it wasn't on the syllabus. It was by far the most interesting part of the course, even though it wasn't official.

Learning about British history is all well and good, but it shouldn't have been at the expense of knowing about the land we lived on.

J70

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 24, 2017, 03:06:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 24, 2017, 12:33:21 PM

Well that's the point. Wouldn't you wait before insisting anything is amended? But why would a politician be so keen to put it in? Rewriting history before history has even been written.

Trying to play to his constituency obviously.

It's what politicians do.

What input he has on curriculums and books, I've no idea.

Unlike the Texas school board shower...

lawnseed

I,m worried the school is a hotbed of stoops. I fukn hate the place horrible hoors of teachers. I thinking it's no accident they don't know who Martin mcguinness
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

lawnseed

Quote from: hardstation on March 24, 2017, 09:57:05 PM
Which subject in school would you expect a preteen kid to learn who Martin McGuinness is?

Also, in all the years since his birth, why has his da not brought up Martin McGuinness? Da must be a soup taking stoop croppyboy.
Martin mcguinness only died a couple of days ago tbh the subject never arose. All they're interested in is football hurling or wifi.. I suppose I expected them to be perhaps talking about this amount their piers
At that age I was used to paisley and Hume and the boys fighting on the telly every night

lawnseed

Quote from: hardstation on March 24, 2017, 10:11:37 PM
Perhaps you grew up surrounded by politics, with a couple of tv channels that had Paisley & Hume on every night. When you have instant access to a bucketful of shit directed entirely at your age group, and you're able to choose what you want on your own tv/ipad or whatever, boring adult stuff isn't really important.
True you nailed it bbc1 2 and itv the neighbours had htv. I'd like them to know some thing. It seems English history is the only thing their school teaches

lawnseed

Is this why the unionists are so dead set against the maze historical museum. are they afraid what went on if put on display to e.g. School groups that it will make them vote Sinn Fein?

ONeill

My children hate Armagh with a fcukin passion but don't know why. Job done. Now onto Spurs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lawnseed

Quote from: ONeill on March 24, 2017, 11:01:55 PM
My children are jealous of Armagh with a fcukin passion but don't know why. Job done. Now onto Spurs.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: lawnseed on March 24, 2017, 10:40:20 PM
Is this why the unionists are so dead set against the maze historical museum. are they afraid what went on if put on display to e.g. School groups that it will make them vote Sinn Fein?

The unionists would like history to go over 1690, then pause until 1923 where it resumes. The Troubles would be explained as "all was rosy in the Ulster garden until the IRA sprang into existence for no reason and just went on a bloody rampage."

It's how they think.

lawnseed

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 24, 2017, 11:15:16 PM

The unionists would like history to go over 1690, then pause until 1923 where it resumes. The Troubles would be explained as "all was rosy in the Ulster garden until the IRA sprang into existence for no reason and just went on a bloody rampage."

It's how they think.

Is there no hope for them eamon?

Milltown Row2

Which part do you tell your kids about Martin? Bombing shooting killing peacemaker political leader statesman, or other stories too which might not put him in good light??

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Quote from: lawnseed on March 24, 2017, 11:34:49 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 24, 2017, 11:15:16 PM

It's how they think.

Is there no hope for them eamon?

Not for the current generation of older politicians there isn't. If younger ones can come around to more of a Trevor Ringland sort of attitude then we can get somewhere. Hard to see that happening as long as half the taxpayer-funded education system is outsourced to the catholic church though.

Rossfan

Do Catholic schools only teach British/Unionist versions of history?*
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM