Rory Gallagher, the new Cavan man

Started by cavanmaniac, November 13, 2006, 10:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

I see in Saturday's star that former Fermanagh ace Rory Gallagher, top scorer in Ulster a few seasons I think, is now training with Cavan and is apparently about to throw his lot in with the Breffni blues. He's living and working in Cavan town apparently although this begs the question, why not tip up the road to Fermanagh and start playing with his native county again? Wasn't he also linked with Dublin a few years ago? Seems to be touting himself about a wee bit, worryingly.

I've heard some malcontent/primadonna accusations levelled about this guy in the past and would worry about his influence in an already troublesome Cavan camp.

Seems you were right anglocelt39, he's defo at training anyway... :-\

lynchbhoy

He's the kind of forward you fellows need - a good free taker too.

Is famous for his poor training ethic.

Nice lad but lazy as sin.

liihb

Lynchboy, I think you are mixing up Rory and Raymie
Raymie wouldn't be the best trainer, Rory trains extremely hard, and is always in good shape.
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: liihb on November 13, 2006, 11:12:40 AM
Lynchboy, I think you are mixing up Rory and Raymie
Raymie wouldn't be the best trainer, Rory trains extremely hard, and is always in good shape.

Thats obv a new changes rory.
I know him Pre-brigids days where he was worse than Raymie - and along with a few other ex Fermanagh players (who were team mates of mine in Dublin) they made a mockery of the Fermangh training regieme.

To be honest, and as a blow in myself, I am not against blow ins coming into Brigids - we have way enough young talent coming through so we can jettison some of these older lads back into the lower teams.

Did you see my young team won their league yesterday? There are a few lads on that who I will be recommending for the senior side this time next year.
Some of the senior panel should be downgraded, they have been up there long enough and made no impact.
Others are just not good enough imo.

cavanmaniac

I can second that alright...early reports from Cavan sessions are that he's running rings all the other lad without breaking sweat...

liihb

QuotePre-brigids days where he was worse than Raymie
Well not knowing Rory before the Brigids days I couldn't disagree with you on that one.

Congrats on the league win, saw it on the site this morning, great to see. Fingers crossed the 21s will have a good craic at the champiosnhip this year too (BTW Rory is managing them along with Barry Cahill)

Cavanmaniac, if Rory can be controlled he will be good for ye.....not sure how he could be playing for the love of the jersey though...
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Erne Man1

Can't see Rory lasting until the end of the season with Cavan to be honest - whilst he is an excellent footballer and keeps himself in great shape, his attitude is awful - and this would outweigh all his other benefits.
Cavan have a good free taker in Seanie Johnson, a decent play maker in Michael Lyng (when fit) - so I can't see how Rory will fit in.

liihb

What would the feeling in Fermanagh be? I presume he's not the most popular as it is, this will hard make that any better?

cavanmaniac

I'd share most of the concerns raised here. It smacks of mercenary type behaviour if these rumours are true, and possibly a bad move in the early days of management for Keogan to risk bringing in another bad attitude to a dressing room already infamous for bitchy overweight primadonnas who'll be only too glad of a new axe to grind over Gallagher.

There's no doubt if he was fit, trained hard and had his head right he'd be a great asset to a team that's always analysed as having 'great forwards' yet sometimes can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. But there's too many worrying aspects to this whole Gallagher thing. Sure it might turn out to be crap anyway.

How might Fermanagh feel if we met in Championship and he knocked over 0-8? ;)

BallyhaiseMan

My question is, has he chosen a club in Cavan yet  :o
i hope some members of my club have been in contact...
Rory Gallagher playing for Ballyhaise would be nice  ;D

cavanmaniac

You can be sure the gaels have been brown nosing him already...

BallyhaiseMan

aye more than likely....they have... Sure they have to strengthen that squad of theirs...Its not like they have any talent there or have won anything in the past 10 years...  ::)

cavan4ever

apparently he is living down in west cavan and is going to play for a "low profile club".  heard that in pub the other nite so prob is crap.. Anyone think that money could be the motivation for our Rory to join the blues?

liihb

To be honest, I would think money would not be the motivation, more the fact that he wants to play county football

BallyhaiseMan

no doubt he will get well looked after by our well financed county board.....as should all players who put in the commitment for a county team.
He will be an asset anyway......
we will have a lot of forward options next year with Gallagher there and Lyngs comeback.