Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on September 17, 2020, 09:06:07 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on September 17, 2020, 09:04:15 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 17, 2020, 08:47:18 PM
If you want a better full back is it ok to pay one to play for you?

Of course it is wrong. It is against the rules and ethos of the association.

It's just an accepted breach of the rules. And indeed one that is becoming expected and even demanded in some clubs.

It's happened in the past, wether we like it or not, it's as much part of the game as bad refs!!!
Not saying it hasn't but it's certainly becoming more prevalent and the history of it happening is irrelevant to the right/wrong debate.

Alcohol wasn't  part of the GAA ethos but drinks companies sponsored our hurling championship for years.  Gambling wasn't part yet we see bookies sponsor county teams in the past.

Times are moving on, everything is changing and wether you agree with it or not, it's here to stay.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Bronco on September 17, 2020, 06:16:20 PM
There are indeed. Not sure why that has you so riled up that you need to portray it as a Bellaghy/Cargin v St Enda's/Creggan final.

Most clubs have someone involved from outside these days in some capacity. Personally I wouldn't be in favour of that situation but it is what it is. Your facetious comments however indicate a rather unseemly jealousy of both teams reaching the final. Which is sad to see.
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 17, 2020, 05:50:56 PM
Are there members not heavily involved IN the final bronco ?
unseemly jealousy ! U sound like A st brigids chap ! Just don't like paid coaches, and clubs who pay them,  when 99 percent do it for Free  . Simple to understand

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 17, 2020, 09:23:09 PM
There are indeed. Not sure why that has you so riled up that you need to portray it as a Bellaghy/Cargin v St Enda's/Creggan final.

Most clubs have someone involved from outside these days in some capacity. Personally I wouldn't be in favour of that situation but it is what it is. Your facetious comments however indicate a rather unseemly jealousy of both teams reaching the final. Which is sad to see.
unseemly jealousy ! U sound like A st brigids chap ! Just don't like paid coaches, and clubs who pay them,  when 99 percent do it for Free  . Simple to understand

99% percent?

So in Antrim let's say we have 30 clubs, how many are paying?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

You must dislike every senior and intermediate club in Antrim because at some stage they have all done it. You'll soon need therapy  8) :o

paddyjohn

Aghagallon
Ahoghill
Aldergrove
Cargin
St Brigid's
Creggan
St Galls
Rossa
St Johns
St Endas
Sarsfields
St Paul's
Ballymena
Tir Na Og
Glenravel
Glenavy
Dunloy
Moneyglass
PG1
St Teresas

Have I missed any Div1 or 2 teams there? Try and fill in the blanks and outside managers

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: hardstation on September 17, 2020, 09:56:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2020, 09:53:04 PM

99% percent?

I think he's talking about people involved in clubs who aren't paid rather than clubs who don't pay.
count juvenile management Lads

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 17, 2020, 10:02:34 PM
Aghagallon
Ahoghill
Aldergrove
Cargin
St Brigid's
Creggan
St Galls
Rossa
St Johns
St Endas
Sarsfields
St Paul's
Ballymena
Tir Na Og
Glenravel
Glenavy
Dunloy
Moneyglass
PG1
St Teresas

Have I missed any Div1 or 2 teams there? Try and fill in the blanks and outside managers
st Teresa's and St. John's ? Don't think so

Milltown Row2

99% percent?

I think he's talking about people involved in clubs who aren't paid rather than clubs who don't pay.

Ah, I was thinking managers, as this was the topic in question, right yes no doubt 99% are doing things for nothing, but as for managers, that's silly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bronco

This is absolutely spot on. I'd love someone to out a stop to it once and for all but can't see it happening.

Quote from: hardstation on September 17, 2020, 09:23:02 PM
Also irrelevant. Look, I'm not saying it will go away but you asked is it wrong. Yes, it is. Why? Because it is a dishonest act and an intentional breach of the rules by a club in order to gain an advantage. For me, that's the definition of cheating.

But it's an accepted cheating because clubs are inherently insular and selfish. As long as our wee club in our wee parish is benefiting we don't really care. And sure they've no way of catching us so we can fill our boots.

That's the reality and it looks like it is here to stay.

However, on the simple question- is it right or wrong? It's quite obviously wrong.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 17, 2020, 10:05:17 PM

99% percent?

count juvenile management Lads

Then if I not 1% are being paid, that's not a bad stat in fairness. I thought it would be higher the way you were going on

themac_23

It's really going over ground isn't it, sometimes clubs just can't get someone from inside to do the job, or equally someone from inside who is up to the job and willing. In that case they have to go outside and unfortunately it's gonna cost money sometimes. Though in fairness I do k ow a few fellas taking teams and are doing it for genuine expenses although I accept they are few and far between

NAG1

Quote from: themac_23 on September 18, 2020, 08:56:53 AM
It's really going over ground isn't it, sometimes clubs just can't get someone from inside to do the job, or equally someone from inside who is up to the job and willing. In that case they have to go outside and unfortunately it's gonna cost money sometimes. Though in fairness I do k ow a few fellas taking teams and are doing it for genuine expenses although I accept they are few and far between

Problem being that it then becomes a vicious cycle, once you go for the 'perceived' better outsider it will then make the job of finding an internal suitable club member that bit more difficult. Think of the amount of these guys across Ulster, making serious serious money in some cases and for what?
You telling me that Cargin couldnt get someone from within their own club to run a team, probably most talented team in the county past 5 odd years and yet they need two mercenaries to get them over the line? Pure madness

You will soon end up in the position that Bellaghy found themselves in with DC and he was one of their own.

Spike

there are a lot of nuances at work here.  Once a talented manager is 'rewarded' for managing an outside team it will be rare that he will want to get off that gravy train to manage his own club for nought.  Some men don't want to take their own clubs as they are unrewarded that season or for the flak that comes their way and the irreparable damage to some relationships caused by team selection and treatment. 

All that aside, what is the answer? there are always loopholes.  eg You can only manage for the team you were first a registered member of? that draconian measure would then mean people who moved away from home could never manage a team and would never work in practice.

The horse has already bolted so perhaps going forward we should concentrate on the regulation, standards and control of this issue and manage these mercenaries going forward so that it is more transparent and quality is assured. Some sort of benefit in kind back to the originate club / county?

Either we do something collectively or we just moan about the issue and continue on as we are

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 17, 2020, 10:02:34 PM
Aghagallon
Ahoghill
Aldergrove
Cargin
St Brigid's
Creggan
St Galls
Rossa
St Johns
St Endas
Sarsfields
St Paul's
Ballymena
Tir Na Og
Glenravel
Glenavy
Dunloy
Moneyglass
PG1
St Teresas

you can remove us from anything to do with being paid as the management are 4 ex players and they have no strength and conditioning coaches either. Everyone is doing it for nothing.
hurl like f**k boi!

Bronco

That's the way it should be, good to see.