Boris Johnson

Started by imtommygunn, January 19, 2022, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2023, 10:39:07 PM
I honestly don't think Cameron was interested in Brexit, and nor did he he expect it to succeed. I read it as a power play within the Tories. Had Brexit failed, he could have put manners on his backbenchers and concentrated on ruining the economy in more discreet ways.

Cameron did not put the work in to make sure that the Brexit vote did not lead to Brexit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on June 20, 2023, 11:04:59 PM
I honestly don't think Cameron was interested in Brexit, and nor did he he expect it to succeed. I read it as a power play within the Tories. Had Brexit failed, he could have put manners on his backbenchers and concentrated on ruining the economy in more discreet ways.

Cameron did not put the work in to make sure that the Brexit vote did not lead to Brexit.

But could he really have been seen to be openly anti Brexit when his own party had motioned the bill?

He did seem to underestimate his own party's abilities to mobilise the masses through flag waving propaganda.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on June 21, 2023, 12:00:07 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 20, 2023, 11:04:59 PM

But could he really have been seen to be openly anti Brexit when his own party had motioned the bill?

He did seem to underestimate his own party's abilities to mobilise the masses through flag waving propaganda.

The bill was for the referendum. He could not afford for Brexit to pass either, as he now looks like an eejit. There was a pro business element in the Tories that he could have mobilised and he should have sent Theresa Villiers to Pitcairn and put someone in the NI office that could point out the realities.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

I think they were all surprised when Brexit went through. While I do think there were many nefarious people in the background pushing for it I'm not sure Cameron was one of them.

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 20, 2023, 08:01:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 20, 2023, 05:07:32 PM
I love him. He's accelerated a conversation on New Ireland that nobody has been able to do in 100 years. He will quite possibly be the most important character in the history of Ireland ever. Thank You Boris.

Possibly.
But at what cost?
The cost of living crisis we are in is in no small part down to brexit. How much misery has bee piled onto millions because of it and because of the lies told to get it over the line. .
Not the way I'd want to get a ui, but I take your point.

That's true but would middle of the road Nats vote for a UI when the UK was healthy and part of the EU? I don't think they would have. The pain has made people really think about their and their families futures. I know I have.
Quote from: AustinPowers on June 20, 2023, 10:14:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2023, 08:27:25 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 20, 2023, 08:01:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 20, 2023, 05:07:32 PM
I love him. He's accelerated a conversation on New Ireland that nobody has been able to do in 100 years. He will quite possibly be the most important character in the history of Ireland ever. Thank You Boris.

Possibly.
But at what cost?
The cost of living crisis we are in is in no small part down to brexit. How much misery has bee piled onto millions because of it and because of the lies told to get it over the line. .
Not the way I'd want to get a ui, but I take your point.

Cameron brought about the referendum for Brexit

Cameron was  looking  after his billionaire buddies  (and himself) when he  called the referendum. Brexit  was  meant to happen . The  billionaires pushed the anti eu agenda , because their hands  were tied by eu trade laws. 

Heard something recently. about the amount of  food stuff  now being brought  into the uk  that  is being sprayed by chemicals and  animals  injected wirh all sorts , that  was  banned by the EU before Brexit. So , a lot of the food  now  is much worse and unhealthier. But  you don't  hear this on the bbc

Cameron called the referendum to finally shut up the backbenchers and secure his leadership. It backfired spectacularly. He was hoping for at least another 5-7 years as PM. He was gone the morning after the vote.

imtommygunn

Not sure what else to put this...

I see Michelle Mone has had 75 million of her assets frozen. This ties in with Johnson / tory corruption and hopefully they catch a lot more at this...