Donegal V Derry, June 1st

Started by J70, May 19, 2008, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surreal Steve

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 01, 2008, 06:39:54 PM
Quote from: clarshack on June 01, 2008, 06:24:00 PM
anyone else think ger canning is a sh*t commentator? he called derry 'tyrone' and at the end it was 'brian mceniff's' donegal not brian mcivor's. elementary mistakes for a 'professional'.

Agree wholeheartedly, absolutely inept commentator. Aswell as that was listening to michael o mhuirteagh gave the wrong score 3 times on the way home from club championship. First waterford were winnin 2-25 to 23 then it changed to clare and back to waterford. Had to wait till I got home and check text to be sure.

Marty duffy was useless today, whistle happy and fussy  and got peno decision wrong and doherty should of been sent off. Brolly was a disgrace on sunday game. Talk about blinkered vision. Highlighting the donegal players reaction who IMO was damn right to go down. It was a closed fist swing back into the face.

Too many teams cop out of going for goals too. Donegal had fisted 2 points in the first half when the goal was gapping and men were free. Have some courage.

Brolly was doing his piece fot his county. He is more than aware of how strongly the meeja will impact any DRA/disciplinary decisions

5 Sams

anyone else think ger canning is a sh*t commentator? he called derry 'tyrone' and at the end it was 'brian mceniff's' donegal not brian mcivor's. elementary mistakes for a 'professional'.

100% correct Clarsack....the man is a fool
The Aristocrat Years

orangeman

Billy Morgan was right about Martin Duffy ! So was O'Rourke !

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Surreal Steve on June 01, 2008, 07:00:26 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 01, 2008, 06:39:54 PM

Agree wholeheartedly, absolutely inept commentator. Aswell as that was listening to michael o mhuirteagh gave the wrong score 3 times on the way home from club championship. First waterford were winnin 2-25 to 23 then it changed to clare and back to waterford. Had to wait till I got home and check text to be sure.

Marty duffy was useless today, whistle happy and fussy  and got peno decision wrong and doherty should of been sent off. Brolly was a disgrace on sunday game. Talk about blinkered vision. Highlighting the donegal players reaction who IMO was damn right to go down. It was a closed fist swing back into the face.

Too many teams cop out of going for goals too. Donegal had fisted 2 points in the first half when the goal was gapping and men were free. Have some courage.

Brolly was doing his piece fot his county. He is more than aware of how strongly the meeja will impact any DRA/disciplinary decisions

I thought they get paid to be impartial anaylsis, I know its hard but he was unfair on the donegal player.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

orangeman

Although Martin Duffy had a very poor game overall he was NOT to blame for Fergal Doherty not getting sent off - he simply didn't see it and his linesman told him that the Donegal man was feigning injury.

unforgiven

Fair play to Derry for coming through in the end and winning a game that most people thought they could possibly lose.  Scrappy enough game which was highlighted by fine displays of fielding.  Derry looked pretty formidable when Doherty, Conway, Diver and Muldoon were all on at the same time.  Thought Gilligan had a great game, getting on the ball alot and with good distribution.  Thought Derry could have won this by 7-8 points if they had have brought their shooting boots first half.

Another incompetent display of officaldom.  Forget aboout the Doherty incident, it was Kavanagh's fault for messing with the wrong man.  These things are part of the game, I feel and he shouldn't have went down like Jenna Jamieson.  What's more worrying was the number of soft frees given by the ref.  Felt Diver got lots of frees by simply charging into donegal defenders and should have been given the other way.  Thought when Bradley was given frees though most were genuine frees.  I think his shorts and shirt can testify to that.

Don't think either team are far away from a pop at the all-ireland if they can both keep their heads

bennydorano

The first round is for getting over, Derry wont give a shite that they weren't great today, they will only get better.  They showed a bit of fight that has been lacking in recent Derry teams, but they will probably have to take on Fermanagh without Doherty.  They've little to fear outside of Kerry, and they've showed they are well capable of beating them.

Maguire01

Quote from: unforgiven on June 01, 2008, 07:55:12 PM
Forget aboout the Doherty incident, it was Kavanagh's fault for messing with the wrong man.  These things are part of the game, I feel and he shouldn't have went down like Jenna Jamieson.  What's more worrying was the number of soft frees given by the ref.  Felt Diver got lots of frees by simply charging into donegal defenders and should have been given the other way.  Thought when Bradley was given frees though most were genuine frees.  I think his shorts and shirt can testify to that.

Biased? Binkered?

So it's fine for Doherty to do what he did because he's a big man and the opposition should know better than to challenge him? It's one thing going down easy when there's a bit of shoving and pushing, but in the case of a strike, i'm not so sure it's as OTT. Either way, Doherty was wrong and his actions have no place on the field.

And Donegal's frees were handy, but Derry's were fair enough? Cop yourself on. The referee was poor throughout, but it was the Derry frees near the end that were most dubious.

Mike Sheehy

Quotethe standard in ulster is easily the best in ireland im afraid.

yeah, thats really been shown in the last two years hasn't it.

Bensars

Watched the game on RTE.

In regards to the referee, Colm O Rourke said at half time( in relation to the penalty), "thats what you get  putting a small referee in charge of a mans game" ( or thereabouts)

unforgiven

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 01, 2008, 08:35:17 PM
Forget aboout the Doherty incident, it was Kavanagh's fault for messing with the wrong man.  These things are part of the game, I feel and he shouldn't have went down like Jenna Jamieson.  What's more worrying was the number of soft frees given by the ref.  Felt Diver got lots of frees by simply charging into donegal defenders and should have been given the other way.  Thought when Bradley was given frees though most were genuine frees.  I think his shorts and shirt can testify to that.

Biased? Binkered?

So it's fine for Doherty to do what he did because he's a big man and the opposition should know better than to challenge him? It's one thing going down easy when there's a bit of shoving and pushing, but in the case of a strike, i'm not so sure it's as OTT. Either way, Doherty was wrong and his actions have no place on the field.

And Donegal's frees were handy, but Derry's were fair enough? Cop yourself on. The referee was poor throughout, but it was the Derry frees near the end that were most dubious.

Reread my post please.  i think it's yourself that is blinkered.

nutsy--1

the best team won in the end, never mind the ref the changing point in the game was the subs coming on
conway changed the flow of the game he won alot of ball and used it well
roper came on and had no impact on the game he's a "has been".

i can see derry going the whole way in ulster.

Surreal Steve

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 01, 2008, 08:42:42 PM
Quotethe standard in ulster is easily the best in ireland im afraid.

yeah, thats really been shown in the last two years hasn't it.

Overall standard is much better Mike.

Maguire01

Quote from: unforgiven on June 01, 2008, 09:08:23 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 01, 2008, 08:35:17 PM

Biased? Binkered?

Reread my post please.  i think it's yourself that is blinkered.

Sorry, yes, i missed your contribution re Diver - well called. But there's no need to defend Doherty's actions (hence my charge of bias), and i stand by my view that Bradley won some handy enough frees.