Div 1 Mayo v Down Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 30, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

On a different note it is remarkable how close the personnel selected are to those who featured in the game v Longford. 4 of Sundays forwards started against Longford, Dillon, Everpresent Andy, AOS, and Freeman. Ronaldson came on.  A 5th, Varley, started against Sligo. Of the backs, Caff, Higgins and McLoughlin played against Longford, Ok you can say' big deal', thats only 7/8 invloved. But the absense of several others can be explained by injury alone, ie, Clarkey,Vaughan, Howley, SOS, Harte and Conor. McGarrity didn't play any role in Longford but has been a regular for years.
Not sure what this means or if it means much at all. Maybe the change will be more about approach than personnel. Ok we ve got 3 fresh faces for this one - Feeney, Hallihan and Gibbons. Personally I would like to see likes of Cathal Freeeman and Janes Burke play in a stronger mayo team in the league where the pace and quality would probably bring their game to another level. I m sure they d thrive in better company.

rosnarun

losing in longford had nothing to do with the quality of the players. you would expect any combination of senior players in mayo to do a better job than they did that day. there was something seriously wrong with the mayo setup last summer . wheter it was just they were fed up listening to JOM spouting or there were falling outs or whatever this is a new start.
and id like for every one to remember what a great league campaign Mayo had last year esp the wins away to  Derry Tyrone and kerry . there is quality there lets just hope Horan can make the most of it .
ITs a great time of year anything is still possible
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

1910__2010

gud luck Jamsie, ur the best man for the job-3 FBD games in,1st (loose)panel,and already some people whinging ......Gas.I say do ur experimenting J and maybe...just mabye we will have a Championship team we can be proud of!!!!!!

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on February 03, 2011, 09:39:06 PM
losing in longford had nothing to do with the quality of the players. you would expect any combination of senior players in mayo to do a better job than they did that day. there was something seriously wrong with the mayo setup last summer . wheter it was just they were fed up listening to JOM spouting or there were falling outs or whatever this is a new start.
and id like for every one to remember what a great league campaign Mayo had last year esp the wins away to  Derry Tyrone and kerry . there is quality there lets just hope Horan can make the most of it .
ITs a great time of year anything is still possible

Agree. Yeah. I remember on here last few years making a case for the quality of the players while the Johnno apologists were defending his shocking Summer form as evidence of lack of quality players. Of course,the opposite was the case. League form showed that we had a number of quality players that could survive and thrive in a lower intensity environment. Most counties go up a gear or two for the championship. We didn't. I would be delighted if the players that have had some bad summers go on to have a better year this year and onwards. I expect they will. And the reassuring thing is that there are younger players out there in U21 and College panels that could come into the equation over the next months.

RedandGreenSniper

The thing about the Longford game is that JOM actually stumbled on a pretty decent line-out after the debacle of the selection for the Sligo game (Gardiner in the corner, Cunniffe at chb, Seamie O'Shea at chf etc). The problem was the team was so clearly demoralised that it was too late to make any real difference in that year. But I do think that a lot of right selections were made that way and I'm sure James Horan appreciates this too.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

western exile

McCartan has named the following team for Saturday night:

1.   Brendan McVeigh   (An Ríocht)
2.   Aidan Brannigan   (Cill Chua)
3.   Dan Gordon   (Loch an Oileáin)
4.   Luke Howard   (Áth Bhriain)
5.   Liam Doyle   (Liatroim)
6.   Kevin McKernan   (Boireann)
7.   Paul McPolin   (Cluain Dáimh)
8.   Peter Fitzpatrick   (Baile Mhairtín)
9    Kalum King   (Áth Bhriain)
10.   Daniel Hughes   (Sabhaill)
11.   Mark Poland   (Cloch Fhada)
12.   Martin Clarke   (An Ríocht)
13.   Conor Maginn   (Áth Bhriain)
14.   John Clarke   (An Ríocht)
15.   Brendan Coulter   (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 03, 2011, 11:47:42 PM
The thing about the Longford game is that JOM actually stumbled on a pretty decent line-out after the debacle of the selection for the Sligo game (Gardiner in the corner, Cunniffe at chb, Seamie O'Shea at chf etc). The problem was the team was so clearly demoralised that it was too late to make any real difference in that year. But I do think that a lot of right selections were made that way and I'm sure James Horan appreciates this too.

I apologise in advance for being contrary. I didn't like longford. I dont think much worked well, not the selection and whatever gameplan there was ... well was wing and a prayer stuff to be kind. I didn t think we were much better than Sligo game but we were in junky mode - more desperate and less descipline. We exited the championship very watery and with a sour taste of throwing the toys out of the pram Then the guy that was in charge avoided being ran out of town by .... resigning and prattling on as usual (Mubarak could learn alot from our lot by recognising when its time to go). I know its early days but I expect that we will be a much better propisition this year. But I dont think much of Longford shape will survive if we are going to be a serious team. Individuals, yes, lots of them, but shape, no way.

western exile

Quote from: moysider on February 03, 2011, 09:25:09 PM
On a different note it is remarkable how close the personnel selected are to those who featured in the game v Longford. 4 of Sundays forwards started against Longford, Dillon, Everpresent Andy, AOS, and Freeman. Ronaldson came on.  A 5th, Varley, started against Sligo. Of the backs, Caff, Higgins and McLoughlin played against Longford, Ok you can say' big deal', thats only 7/8 invloved. But the absense of several others can be explained by injury alone, ie, Clarkey,Vaughan, Howley, SOS, Harte and Conor. McGarrity didn't play any role in Longford but has been a regular for years.
Not sure what this means or if it means much at all. Maybe the change will be more about approach than personnel. Ok we ve got 3 fresh faces for this one - Feeney, Hallihan and Gibbons. Personally I would like to see likes of Cathal Freeeman and Janes Burke play in a stronger mayo team in the league where the pace and quality would probably bring their game to another level. I m sure they d thrive in better company.
Surely you are not suggesting that all 15 whom started against Longford should not be considered for selections this weekend. I don't think you are, but some the names you mentioned were actually the few that played well (relatively speaking) that day and tried their best to stop the rot. I would have thought that Horan retaining them should be seen as a good thing. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on February 04, 2011, 12:29:09 AM
Then the guy that was in charge avoided being ran out of town by .... resigning and prattling on as usual

Christ moysider build a bridge will you?? Every second post seems to have a dig against a man who I'd wager has given a hell of a lot more to Mayo football than you have.

That looks a pretty strong Down lineup particularly from midfield onwards. This will be a big test for McG, Gibbons and the lads who are expected to pick up the breaks around the middle.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 03, 2011, 11:47:42 PM

I apologise in advance for being contrary. I didn't like longford. I dont think much worked well, not the selection and whatever gameplan there was ... well was wing and a prayer stuff to be kind. I didn t think we were much better than Sligo game but we were in junky mode - more desperate and less descipline. We exited the championship very watery and with a sour taste of throwing the toys out of the pram Then the guy that was in charge avoided being ran out of town by .... resigning and prattling on as usual (Mubarak could learn alot from our lot by recognising when its time to go). I know its early days but I expect that we will be a much better propisition this year. But I dont think much of Longford shape will survive if we are going to be a serious team. Individuals, yes, lots of them, but shape, no way.

:D

Maybe I am being too kind to JOM in my assessment. I just think that a few things worked well that day which he stumbled on and might be worth perservering with in better circumstances and a better set-up. Keith Higgins worked well at centre-half back (until he told Gerry Kinneavy where to put his notebook) and I think he would be the best option for here if Caff doesn't work out; Aidan O'Shea was picked in his best position at chf (even if he had a poor game) and the reality dawned that if it is his best position, it was not his brother's and Seamie was placed in his best position of midfield. Also we saw more of Alan Freemand and saw again how much Alan Dillon offers us. This was against a team v Sligo that was all over the place. Did he get much right against Longford? Not a lot. But I do think it was an improvement from Sligo.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 04, 2011, 12:39:21 AM
Then the guy that was in charge avoided being ran out of town by .... resigning and prattling on as usual

Christ moysider build a bridge will you?? Every second post seems to have a dig against a man who I'd wager has given a hell of a lot more to Mayo football than you have.

That looks a pretty strong Down lineup particularly from midfield onwards. This will be a big test for McG, Gibbons and the lads who are expected to pick up the breaks around the middle.

As regards the wager, I doubt it. But that is a serious enough lookin Down side.

rosnarun

i pretty Egypt if they are taking lessons in timing from JOM.
another 3 years in Tahrir Square  for the boys !!
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lazer

Quote from: western exile on February 04, 2011, 12:01:32 AM
McCartan has named the following team for Saturday night:

1.   Brendan McVeigh   (An Ríocht)
2.   Aidan Brannigan   (Cill Chua)
3.   Dan Gordon   (Loch an Oileáin)
4.   Luke Howard   (Áth Bhriain)
5.   Liam Doyle   (Liatroim)
6.   Kevin McKernan   (Boireann)
7.   Paul McPolin   (Cluain Dáimh)
8.   Peter Fitzpatrick   (Baile Mhairtín)
9    Kalum King   (Áth Bhriain)
10.   Daniel Hughes   (Sabhaill)
11.   Mark Poland   (Cloch Fhada)
12.   Martin Clarke   (An Ríocht)
13.   Conor Maginn   (Áth Bhriain)
14.   John Clarke   (An Ríocht)
15.   Brendan Coulter   (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)

Despite the injuries, we've still got a pretty decent team. Lets hope they can win now! Paul McPoland was very good against Antrim in the McKenna cup - hope he can keep up the form!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Banana Man

it will be very interesting to see how Doyle gets on, bet he thought he would never see the day his name was on a teamsheet again

western exile

Considering the players that are unavailable, that Down team sort of picked itself.
Midfield and forwards  are pretty much the 2010 team with only McCommiskey and Rodgers missing through injury.
It is in defence where the injuries are rampant and has forced James McCartan to select players out of necessity rather than choice. The injury list of defenders goes on and on (Garvey, Rooney, McCartan, Rafferty, Mc Ardle, Duffin, O'Hagan,...) and  James Colgan suspended.
It is asking a lot of the wing backs in particular, who will be up against the Mayo Captain and Vice Captan, Alan Dillon and Andy Moran, both very fast, hard working and clever footballers.
At left half back making his NFL debut is Paul McPolin who plays his club football in the forwards.
Liam Doyle makes his first NFL start in 3 years on a comeback after horrific injuries, but is thrown in at the highest level without match fitness. But it is great to see a man of his ability back on the field.
Luke Howard also has recovered from his knee operation and makes his first start for 2 years at corner back, although  he was able to ease back into it with some club football last summer.
In the other corner starts Aidan Brannigan who was used from the bench at times last year as half back cover. 
The spine of defence does have some quality in Brendan McVeigh, Dan Gordan and Kevin McKernan. Although Gordan is still not comfortable in the roll of fullback having only played in that position for 3 games (albeit the most important 3 games of this football life so far!)
All in all, a bit effort will be required from this makeshift defence to hold back what is a very good sextet of Mayo forwards