Div 1 Mayo v Down Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 30, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

jason doherty kicked 3 goal 3 points in a recent game and is not in there, just shows the selection headache James Horan has.
How tall and what weight would kevin mcloughlin be? he seems fast and a good player, just wondering about his physical presence.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 02, 2011, 03:52:19 PM
16)   Robert Hennelly   Breaffy
17)   Aidan Campbell   Swinford
18)   Neil Douglas   Castlebar Mitchels
19)   Andrew Farrell   Killala
20)   Peadar Gardiner   Crossmolina
21)   Eoghan Reilly   Castlebar Mitchels
22)   Lee Keegan   Westport
23)   Barry Moran   Castlebar Mitchels
24)   Cillian O'Connor   Ballintubber
25)   Tom Parsons   Charlestown
26)   Ruaidhri O'Connor   Ballintubber

Quote from: Chimley on February 02, 2011, 04:03:59 PM
No Austie, Howley, Killeen, Kilcullen, Alan Feeney or Jason Doherty in the subs. I wonder what this will mean for these in particular.

A very young panel.

As I said before they probably have 30 on a panel, anyone of which would be named on the teamsheet of 26 for NFL games. Then they would have to keep another few guys on board who would be in and out of the panel so I wouldnt say its totally over for the lads you mentioned, or even that the above is how the panel would be shaping up for championship. It could be very changeable depending on performances.

Its hard to know how much involvement the U21 players would have when their season starts off either.

Chimley

Burke and Barrett left out too. With a few injured to come back it looks we will have a lot of disappointed young men in a few weeks time.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mannix on February 02, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
jason doherty kicked 3 goal 3 points in a recent game and is not in there, just shows the selection headache James Horan has.
How tall and what weight would kevin mcloughlin be? he seems fast and a good player, just wondering about his physical presence.

He has no physicality at all mannix when it comes to it I'm sad to say.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

western exile

Quote from: Chimley on February 02, 2011, 04:27:35 PM
Burke and Barrett left out too. With a few injured to come back it looks we will have a lot of disappointed young men in a few weeks time.
And no Cathal Freeman?

western exile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 02, 2011, 06:49:47 PM
Quote from: mannix on February 02, 2011, 04:05:09 PM

He has no physicality at all mannix when it comes to it I'm sad to say.
Since he will be picking up Danny Hughes, it is not physical, but speed and stamina are attributes he will need!

moysider

Quote from: Chimley on February 02, 2011, 04:27:35 PM

Burke pulled up injured in Ballinamore so that maybe explains that. It would be very disappointing if he was overlooked and some of the others included. Cathal Freeman I would expect to be in the 30. Anybody got an explanation for Kilcoyne, though it wouldn't be too surprising if he were not in it?

saffronandblue

I know I am looking at this with my Knockmore glasses on, but if Horan thinks that Reilly, Keegan and R' O Connor are better defenders than Howley ??? ??? ??? ??? then we are doomed.  I would have thought that Reilly would have struggled to make the Under 21 team. Too slow and sluggish for my liking.  Picking players who have not trained for a few weeks is also questionable.  Surely if they cannot train then they are not fit to play on Saturday.

It also looks like ever present Andy is here again for the long haul >:( >:( >:( >:(

While I am on a rant, I might as well say that while I am one of C. O' Connors greatest fans, I don't see why playing a number of young lads in the muck on Saturday will be of any help.  Surely Mayo have enough players over 21 that could preform in the league and leave the young lads to play for their Colleges and on the Under 21 team.  Surely the senior set up is not going the sabotage the Under 21 set up by burning them out over the winter in the same way that Johnno did last year.

Mayo will win easily on Saturday imo, but long term the prospects may not be as rosy under this new man as I had hoped.  I hope I am wrong.

Up Mayo!!!!

Cosmo Kramer

I hope it is an open ended panel because theres a few missing that I would like to see involved and a few involved that I would have passed on for now to be honest. One possibility is that some of the under 21s selected (and there are quite a few) will only be involved for the first couple of games and will then make way for some of the older heads when the under 21 championship starts. That way more people get some game time with the seniors in the league to stake a place for the Championship squad. Just a theory.

He'll need to keep a few more involved anyway of course because some of the 26 selected there (including our captain) will be lining out for the opposition against us in the FBD final next week - a very strange situation. I wonder will the Mayo lads on opposing teams be told not to go in too hard on each other?!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Oldhacker

How long will it take to drive from Dublin to Castlebar this Saturday afternoon ?

Tubberman

Quote from: Oldhacker on February 02, 2011, 09:55:48 PM
How long will it take to drive from Dublin to Castlebar this Saturday afternoon ?

3 hours from the M50 and you'll be in Castlebar handy enough
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 02, 2011, 09:10:59 PM
I hope it is an open ended panel because theres a few missing that I would like to see involved and a few involved that I would have passed on for now to be honest. One possibility is that some of the under 21s selected (and there are quite a few) will only be involved for the first couple of games and will then make way for some of the older heads when the under 21 championship starts. That way more people get some game time with the seniors in the league to stake a place for the Championship squad. Just a theory.

He'll need to keep a few more involved anyway of course because some of the 26 selected there (including our captain) will be lining out for the opposition against us in the FBD final next week - a very strange situation. I wonder will the Mayo lads on opposing teams be told not to go in too hard on each other?!

I'd agree with you that this is probably not the final league panel - I don't such a thing will exist.
As Horan said after the Leitrim game, he won't have his full panel available to him until this week, so it's impossible for him to put a final panel together.
I'd say throughout the first few league games, we'll see more personnel changes. The FBD experimentation will probably continue, although at a more concentrated level.

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on February 02, 2011, 10:11:35 PM

Time to change that car Tubberman.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2011, 10:26:56 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on February 02, 2011, 10:11:35 PM

Time to change that car Tubberman.

That's the law-abiding estimate  ;)

Oldhacker

As a law-abiding nordie, I will of course observe all the limits. If an anonymous acquaintance cruised down the motorway sections of the route at a steadyish 80 mph, might he hit Castlebar in around two and a half hours from the M50 ?