League Sunday

Started by cogito, February 07, 2011, 03:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cogito

Sat down to watch League Sunday last night and can't tell you how disappointed I was. I mean not one clip from outside of Division One was shown. That means about 75% of counties recieved no coverage whatsoever on the opening day of our competitive season.

I just don't get league football. It takes up the most time on the IC season, it gets damn all coverage on tele and most managers don't really care once they don't get relegated come the end of the league.

Why is our mindset to league competitions so bad when you look over the water and see the Premierleague etc which has hype surrounding it for the majority of the year. I'm really at the stage where I think something needs to be done to spice up our games.. Our championship is the only competition which stokes up any significance which leave most other people following other sports for the guts of nine months of the year because we have damn all for them to get excited about.

lynchbhoy

would agree with your points but
this weekends games - those that were televised - were fantastic.
The games I also read about or have been retold to me by fans that were there - also seem to have beeen at a significantly higher standard for first round of league games from years past.
I saw players kicking points from around and outside of the 45 metre line - thats unusual for a cold damp sat night or sunday afternoon given that the ball doesnt travel as far in such conditions- it had me wondering was there a new type of football being used for the NFL !!

anyhow, some great scores, great performances and I thik teams now actually know that the league IS important and while they will always trot out the usual oul guff about 'league not important, its only championship that counts ' - all now go almost all out to win NFL games .
The intensity of games this weekend proved that imo !

ross4life

TG4 are currently showing weekend highlights though not sure will they show more or less than RTE
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Bogball XV

no different from last year, it really shouldn't be too difficult to get show a snippet or two of games outside the top division, a goal or two here and there etc.

What was really annoying last night was that they didn't have the score of the game in the top corner of the screen, i presume it was so that viewers didn't see the scores jumping up etc, but it left the viewer (or me anyway), not having a clue as to the state of the game, when goals were scored they flashed the score up alright, but between them, we didn't know what the state of play was.

cogito

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 07, 2011, 04:15:27 PM
would agree with your points but
this weekends games - those that were televised - were fantastic.
The games I also read about or have been retold to me by fans that were there - also seem to have beeen at a significantly higher standard for first round of league games from years past.
I saw players kicking points from around and outside of the 45 metre line - thats unusual for a cold damp sat night or sunday afternoon given that the ball doesnt travel as far in such conditions- it had me wondering was there a new type of football being used for the NFL !!

anyhow, some great scores, great performances and I thik teams now actually know that the league IS important and while they will always trot out the usual oul guff about 'league not important, its only championship that counts ' - all now go almost all out to win NFL games .
The intensity of games this weekend proved that imo !

I agree with you completely. The games they did show were full of life and excellent. I just think that us hardcore fans see that but the thing needs a bit of sexing up to get people that don't normally track league football interested and involved.

People from the lower ranked counties deserve to see some action from there games as well though I think.

fearglasmor

Personally I'd prefer to see extended highlights of 1/2 games rather than meaningless snippets from a heap of games.

From 7 rounds of games, devote 1 week to div 4, 1 week to div 3, 2 week to div 2 and 3 weeks to div 1

tbrick18

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 07, 2011, 11:18:19 PM
no different from last year, it really shouldn't be too difficult to get show a snippet or two of games outside the top division, a goal or two here and there etc.

What was really annoying last night was that they didn't have the score of the game in the top corner of the screen, i presume it was so that viewers didn't see the scores jumping up etc, but it left the viewer (or me anyway), not having a clue as to the state of the game, when goals were scored they flashed the score up alright, but between them, we didn't know what the state of play was.

I agree 100%.
It cant be too hard to show say 2-3 min highlights of each game. And the scores thing...WTF?
Only showing Div1 games in the highlights show is a bit elitist in my view and is unfair to the fans of teams in all the other divisions. Why should a Div4 fan be any less entitled to see at least a small snippet of their games?
And the punditry was dire. Tommy Lyons shouldnt be let near a tv camera. He even managed to have a go at the integrity of the Mayo CB about appointing a manager and then wished them the best! Tool.

HiMucker

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 08, 2011, 10:24:32 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on February 07, 2011, 11:18:19 PM

I agree 100%.
It cant be too hard to show say 2-3 min highlights of each game. And the scores thing...WTF?
Only showing Div1 games in the highlights show is a bit elitist in my view and is unfair to the fans of teams in all the other divisions. Why should a Div4 fan be any less entitled to see at least a small snippet of their games?
And the punditry was dire. Tommy Lyons shouldnt be let near a tv camera. He even managed to have a go at the integrity of the Mayo CB about appointing a manager and then wished them the best! Tool.
100% Agree, the pundits were terrible.  Seriously you could grab better pundits around your club to do it.  Think the league needs more coverage, but it is moving up in improtance as LB states

lynchbhoy

maybe we should have more cameras at games
maybe the GAA need to invest in this and sell off the footage to tv3, Rte etc
there could and should be more programmes on telly each week over the various stations rte 1, rte 2, tv3, T4G,setanta Ireland.
We could have a format like they do on bbc1 - where after match of the day that deals only with the top flight, we could have one or even more programmes on same or other channels that deal with lower divisions , then maybe one that deals with club games.

I suppose this is also in asnwer to cognito's earlier question.
I cant see the tv stations volunteering to send people or cameras out to all the games - so maybe the GAA and local counties can get their own gear and own people - it could be thebreaks and work experience trainee cameramen/women and trainee commentators need - God knows we need better ones that rte have !
A few bob for a sunday every second week wouldn go amiss for the workers and out of the county coffers I am sure

Orangemac

The GAA should look into having their own digital channel. A few hours at night midweek and all day Saturday and Sunday

You could cover all league/championship games over this period and feature handball etc. A decent magazine show wouldn't go amiss either. GAA is sexy, it deserves better than some of the sub standard coverage it gets.

This could be free to air in Ireland and subscription based for international transmission.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Orangemac on February 08, 2011, 11:51:16 PM
The GAA should look into having their own digital channel. A few hours at night midweek and all day Saturday and Sunday

You could cover all league/championship games over this period and feature handball etc. A decent magazine show wouldn't go amiss either. GAA is sexy, it deserves better than some of the sub standard coverage it gets.

This could be free to air in Ireland and subscription based for international transmission.
i've said it many times on here, it should be a condition that whoever buys the rights for the championship has to provide decent league and club championship coverage. 
For too long it's been left to tg4 and now setanta to show these, they're never going to get the audience outside of us dedicated fans, particularly tg4, what none gaa fan would watch a game on tg4?  Aside from the language difficulties many of us experience, they somehow make game soulless, do they have some sort of crowd muffling machine they bring round with them?
The alternative is that the gaa do not sell the rights, but create their own medium for bringing them to the public, be that their own channel, streaming, whatever.