Jim McGuiness - 10 Years On

Started by GetOverTheBar, January 15, 2021, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: J70 on January 15, 2021, 03:35:17 PM
Quote from: tiempo on January 15, 2021, 02:51:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 15, 2021, 02:04:54 PM
Quote from: tiempo on January 15, 2021, 01:52:44 PM
Sent one of his own players out to injure an opponent then goes on about duty of care when his own get a bit of treatment, he fully believed his own hype there for a bit, criminal not to start Paddy McBrearty in the AIF v Kerry

I presume this is about Leo McLoone hitting Joe McMahon in 2011?

If so, where's the evidence McLoone (at the time a young lad who was distraught after the game) was sent on to do that by McGuinness?

As for McBrearty, he was doing well off the bench, including in the Ulster final and the semi against the Dubs. Maybe he should have been starting, but young O'Connor was doing well too with his running. Anyway, Paddy wasn't why we lost that final. Paul Geaney reacting quicker to a deflected point attempt, Durkan slipping on a kick-out, each resulting in a goal, was the difference in a very tight, cagey match.

49mins...Leo McLoone comes on as a sub
51mins...McLoone comes in late on Joe McMahon and strikes him on back of head with closed fist
55mins...After lengthy delay McMahon leaves the pitch with concussion
61 mins..McLoone is replaced

First, McLoone should have got the line, no question. What use would it have been to McGuinness to have Donegal down to 14 men for the last 20 minutes, and then Leo gone for the following games, possibly at that point including an Ulster Final?

And what does the quick substitution prove?

Leo wasn't a thug. He was arguably ahead of Michael Murphy the previous year as the most influential player on the U-21 that ended up losing that final against Dublin. He's been an excellent, if unsung, player for Donegal all through the decade just gone, a strong lad ideally suited to carrying the ball on the break and taking a score, including quite a few goals. He wasn't some hatchet man to be sent on by the manager when an opposition player needed "sorting out".

The lad was in tears after the game. I've always assumed he was upset at having knocked McMahon cold and, I'm sure, taking (deserved) abuse from the Tyrone players for it. That makes far more sense, that his head was gone and that's why he was taken off, than any conspiracy about being sent on to take out a player.
He certainly took the opportunity when it arose.  Don't think he would even have needed any guidance on what to do.  Hatchet man?  Well let's say if there was a late hit on - he would choose it.  Club or County.   

Captain Obvious

Great feat to lead Donegal to that All-Ireland in 2012. Before Jim arrived Armagh knocked them out of the championship with 9 points to spare and in 2009 Antrim beat them in Ulster in Ballybofey.

Not winning the 2014 All-Ireland has to be a big regret, it was there to be won after the win against Dublin. Donegal haven't reached All Ireland semi final since.

Main Street

Quote from: restorepride on January 15, 2021, 10:57:48 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 15, 2021, 03:35:17 PM
Quote from: tiempo on January 15, 2021, 02:51:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 15, 2021, 02:04:54 PM
Quote from: tiempo on January 15, 2021, 01:52:44 PM
Sent one of his own players out to injure an opponent then goes on about duty of care when his own get a bit of treatment, he fully believed his own hype there for a bit, criminal not to start Paddy McBrearty in the AIF v Kerry

I presume this is about Leo McLoone hitting Joe McMahon in 2011?

If so, where's the evidence McLoone (at the time a young lad who was distraught after the game) was sent on to do that by McGuinness?

As for McBrearty, he was doing well off the bench, including in the Ulster final and the semi against the Dubs. Maybe he should have been starting, but young O'Connor was doing well too with his running. Anyway, Paddy wasn't why we lost that final. Paul Geaney reacting quicker to a deflected point attempt, Durkan slipping on a kick-out, each resulting in a goal, was the difference in a very tight, cagey match.

49mins...Leo McLoone comes on as a sub
51mins...McLoone comes in late on Joe McMahon and strikes him on back of head with closed fist
55mins...After lengthy delay McMahon leaves the pitch with concussion
61 mins..McLoone is replaced

First, McLoone should have got the line, no question. What use would it have been to McGuinness to have Donegal down to 14 men for the last 20 minutes, and then Leo gone for the following games, possibly at that point including an Ulster Final?

And what does the quick substitution prove?

Leo wasn't a thug. He was arguably ahead of Michael Murphy the previous year as the most influential player on the U-21 that ended up losing that final against Dublin. He's been an excellent, if unsung, player for Donegal all through the decade just gone, a strong lad ideally suited to carrying the ball on the break and taking a score, including quite a few goals. He wasn't some hatchet man to be sent on by the manager when an opposition player needed "sorting out".

The lad was in tears after the game. I've always assumed he was upset at having knocked McMahon cold and, I'm sure, taking (deserved) abuse from the Tyrone players for it. That makes far more sense, that his head was gone and that's why he was taken off, than any conspiracy about being sent on to take out a player.
He certainly took the opportunity when it arose.  Don't think he would even have needed any guidance on what to do.  Hatchet man?  Well let's say if there was a late hit on - he would choose it.  Club or County.
A thread about Jimmy gets turned into yet another whataboutusTyrone, we well remember exactly how we were oppressed in some game some 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago.
Don't feed the persecution, it's a bottomless pit.

lenny

Jim and Harte will be remembered in 10/15 years time as the men who nearly destroyed football with their defensive crap. It's taken a great, skilful, resilient Dublin side to restore our faith in the beautiful game. Hopefully Kerry will return to their more attacking flair game and will provide with another great rivalry. I do think Tyrone will be a lot more attacking without Harte and they have some very good forwards also.

From the Bunker

Quote from: lenny on January 16, 2021, 10:01:36 AM
Jim and Harte will be remembered in 10/15 years time as the men who nearly destroyed football with their defensive crap. It's taken a great, skilful, resilient Dublin side to restore our faith in the beautiful game. Hopefully Kerry will return to their more attacking flair game and will provide with another great rivalry. I do think Tyrone will be a lot more attacking without Harte and they have some very good forwards also.

Yes, the game is so much more exciting now. Never been in a more healthy state. 

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 15, 2021, 11:02:47 PM
Great feat to lead Donegal to that All-Ireland in 2012. Before Jim arrived Armagh knocked them out of the championship with 9 points to spare and in 2009 Antrim beat them in Ulster in Ballybofey.

Not winning the 2014 All-Ireland has to be a big regret, it was there to be won after the win against Dublin. Donegal haven't reached All Ireland semi final since.

A real pity they couldn't finish the job.
After that the shutters came down.

https://youtu.be/71ZHVmSuBJM
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

general_lee

Is this sarcasm?

I think what McGuinness did was nothing short of remarkable. He turned a bunch of party boys into champions in the space of two years.

From the Bunker

Quote from: general_lee on January 16, 2021, 12:44:21 PM
Is this sarcasm?

I think what McGuinness did was nothing short of remarkable. He turned a bunch of party boys into champions in the space of two years.

And they fell off of the wagon just as quick! To be fair he inherited an old team. And the commitment he asked was not sustainable long term.

imtommygunn

The problem for mcguinness and peoples memories is that a lot of people just remember the dirge of the Dublin game in 2011 (to be fair it must be one of the worst county games ever at that level) but some of the football Donegal played in 2012 and 2014 under him was fantastic. The speed they counter attacked at was unreal. I wasn't getting to many games round that time but saw them play I think Kerry is 2012 and the speed was unbelievable.

I honestly think he cranked up the level of professionalism (well maybe dedication) needed to get to the top level and then Dublin cranked it up even more. I believe he is part of the reason for the beast that is Dublin.

Angelo

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 16, 2021, 10:45:54 AM

Lenny is from Derry, they produce big agricultural footballers there so I'm not sure on why Lenny thinks he should be a spokesperson for what good attacking football should be. Derry have produced two good forwards in the past 30+ years and one of them was a Tyrone man.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

lenny

It's less cynical now among the top teams like Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Even Donegal are nowhere near as cynical under bonner. I have a feeling Tyrone will lose a fair bit of their cynicism and gamesmanship now Harte is away. Hope so anyway.

restorepride

Quote from: Angelo on January 16, 2021, 02:56:01 PM

Lenny is from Derry, they produce big agricultural footballers there so I'm not sure on why Lenny thinks he should be a spokesperson for what good attacking football should be. Derry have produced two good forwards in the past 30+ years and one of them was a Tyrone man.
Is that 35 years or less than that?

Angelo

Quote from: restorepride on January 16, 2021, 06:10:29 PM

I'm just using 30+ years as a general term. Their AI winning team did not have any top class forwards. Some outstanding defenders and the best midfielder in the game at the time but a really ordinary forward line. Paddy Bradley and Muldoon were the only top level forwards Derry have produced in that time so I don't think Lenny is a person who knows what he is talking about when he mentions attacking football.

Derry have always been a team with a focus on size and defence unlike their neighbours Tyrone who have always produced players with attacking flair and inventive play.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

restorepride

Quote from: Angelo on January 16, 2021, 07:27:05 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 16, 2021, 06:10:29 PM

I'm just using 30+ years as a general term. Their AI winning team did not have any top class forwards. Some outstanding defenders and the best midfielder in the game at the time but a really ordinary forward line. Paddy Bradley and Muldoon were the only top level forwards Derry have produced in that time so I don't think Lenny is a person who knows what he is talking about when he mentions attacking football.

Derry have always been a team with a focus on size and defence unlike their neighbours Tyrone who have always produced players with attacking flair and inventive play.
You now have replaced 'good forwards' with 'top class forwards' - which is it?

greatpoint

Quote from: lenny on January 16, 2021, 04:50:26 PM

It's less cynical now among the top teams like Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Even Donegal are nowhere near as cynical under bonner. I have a feeling Tyrone will lose a fair bit of their cynicism and gamesmanship now Harte is away. Hope so anyway.

It's asinine to say there's any top team outside of Dublin. Have the past 6 years not proven so?