All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

My grandmother's brother died about 15 years ago but he always said the footballers knew how to win when they had the players. The hurlers, on the other hand.....
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 15, 2017, 08:05:16 PM
All the talk of Kerry dominating at this grade. The Golden generation and what not! Crazy expectation to be put on a bunch of players at such an early stage of their development.

The Mad thing is Dublin's recent dominance at underage has been dismissed, while Kerry's couple of Minor titles out of no where have been seen as a pre-requisite to future success.

The denial of where Dublin football is at is Scary! This is no fad of temporary dominance.
Can hardly be called a Dublin dominance at underage if Galway end up winning win this final and end up with more underage All Irelands than Dublin the last decade.

Kerry have won 3 minors All Irelands in a row the minor team to beat again this year and they won the last 4 Hogan cups it won't be a brave prediction to say they will be back with Jack O Connor (written off by some on here) to win U20 All Ireland.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

johnpower

Well done Galway much the better team , great start from Galway from a kerry point of view very disappointing did not function at all. it should be a good final.

I am wondering how many u21 players that played today will featrure in the senior championship?

Gael85

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 15, 2017, 08:25:15 PM
No complaints at all about today's defeat, we were outclassed everywhere & Dublin fully deserved their win.

5 games in 17 days may well have caught up with our lads in the end as they looked very lethargic & sluggish & Donegal's style of play demands high levels of energy otherwise it doesn't work & it didn't work today.

Fair dues as well to Galway in beating well fancied Kerry. I'd say there were good odds to be had on that double!!

Was tough on Donegal to play so many games in a short time though why did Rory Gallagher play the young lads in Mayo game?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Gael85 on April 15, 2017, 08:34:52 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 15, 2017, 08:25:15 PM
No complaints at all about today's defeat, we were outclassed everywhere & Dublin fully deserved their win.

5 games in 17 days may well have caught up with our lads in the end as they looked very lethargic & sluggish & Donegal's style of play demands high levels of energy otherwise it doesn't work & it didn't work today.

Fair dues as well to Galway in beating well fancied Kerry. I'd say there were good odds to be had on that double!!

Was tough on Donegal to play so many games in a short time though why did Rory Gallagher play the young lads in Mayo game?

Would it be that Rory was feeling a bit intimidated by a successful Under 21 manager?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Gael85 on April 15, 2017, 08:15:20 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 15, 2017, 08:09:43 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on April 15, 2017, 07:45:25 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 15, 2017, 06:05:13 PM
From a Galway perspective and looking to the future we should get a good few seniors from this bunch. Daly has already made an impact at senior level. Cooke and McDaid look to have big futures. Thought Séan Andy Ó'Ceallaigh had a powerful game at full-back. Big, strong and athletic. Cein Darcy in midfield as well wasn't far behind Cooke. Rob Finnerty too although the poor lad had a shocker today. Molloy has a chance of making it too once he has a haircut.

Did Galway have many players from last years minor team playing today?

D'Arcy (9), Conneely (15) & Finnerty (13) D'Arcy was outstanding again, made a huge difference when he came on against Sligo kicking 3 points from play. Along with Cooke makes for Galway having a very strong midfield.

Was Connelly centre forward on that minor team?

Corner forward on last year's minor team that lost the final to Kerry. Think Galway had 3 of that team starting today. Connelly, R Finnerty and D'Arcy.

imtommygunn

Kerry were disappointing. They didn't look like they had the appetite for a fight. In saying that no red card and the game couldhave went to the wire. I thought the sending off was harsh but the guy was fouling from the first minute and if he wasn't sent off then he would probably still have been sent off. I suspect kerry were also sorry they did't bring the wee boy who scored the goal on much earlier.

Hard to believe how bad donegal were. I don't think you could even say one player stood out. Tiredness is bound to have been a factor as i find it hard to believe they could be that bad. Dublin were better everywhere and to be honest the scoreline almost flattered donegal.

skeog

Tiredness only comes into the equation on a defeat.

Main Street

Quote from: skeog on April 15, 2017, 08:44:46 PM
If there is some validity in the "tired out" explanation, the tiredness generally comes into the equation in the last quarter of a game and it can only reasonably be a factor if the game was still in the balance. In this game, Dublin dominated the game from the first minute.

galwayman

Quote from: johnpower on April 15, 2017, 08:32:05 PM
Well done Galway much the better team , great start from Galway from a kerry point of view very disappointing did not function at all. it should be a good final.

I am wondering how many u21 players that played today will featrure in the senior championship?
Michael Daly is the only definite.
I think McDaids last 2 performances will put him right in the frame to feature.
Outside of that Cooke, Molloy & Sean Kelly are on the panel as well but probably won't feature.
I could see Darcy getting a call up when u21 campaign finishes

Rossfan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 15, 2017, 05:24:19 PM
Didn't even see the Kerry goal. Some saying it should have been disallowed alright.

Just saw it on the News.
Looked to be illegal in my opinion.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

I thought it was fine. Did he not lose control of the ball and then flick the loose ball into the net?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Main Street on April 15, 2017, 09:21:02 PM
Quote from: skeog on April 15, 2017, 08:44:46 PM
If there is some validity in the "tired out" explanation, the tiredness generally comes into the equation in the last quarter of a game and it can only reasonably be a factor if the game was still in the balance. In this game, Dublin dominated the game from the first minute.

They were much the better team by miles al over.I just was surprised how poor donegal were and doubt they are generally that poor.

Is con o'callaghan in the dublin senior squad?

Rossfan

Quote from: Zulu on April 15, 2017, 09:49:58 PM
I thought it was fine. Did he not lose control of the ball and then flick the loose ball into the net?
Possibly or did he go to pass it and then knocked it in?
Anyway the Ref allowed ito.
Can't understand why Kerry were such absolute raging favourites.
55/45 I could understand but total mad favourites.......

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on April 15, 2017, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 15, 2017, 09:49:58 PM
Possibly or did he go to pass it and then knocked it in?
Anyway the Ref allowed ito.
Can't understand why Kerry were such absolute raging favourites.
55/45 I could understand but total mad favourites.......

They are raging hot favourites because people put heaps of money on them. No other reason!