criostlinn

Quote from: ck on April 14, 2017, 12:17:11 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 13, 2017, 07:03:05 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 13, 2017, 06:15:01 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 13, 2017, 04:29:33 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 13, 2017, 04:20:31 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 13, 2017, 04:04:37 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 13, 2017, 03:17:26 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 12, 2017, 05:44:07 PMI simply don't like this style of football and I don't like how the sport is turning out because of it.

It pains me to see so many words written with such little thought put into them.

So if it was just Donegal playing this style of football that you're morally opposed to you wouldn't have a problem with it?

As you've admitted yourself it's clearly prevalent with all the top teams, so can you explain why it's only Donegal that are damaging the sport? It must absolutely break you heart to see your own county forced to resort to that "style" to stay competitive.

Instead of getting your knickers in a twist just read my posts properly before compiling your response. You might find the experience a little less "painful"

I read it. If I was to address all the inconsistencies I'd be here till the next time Mayo win the All-Ireland.

So instead you start addressing points I didn't even make.
Right so ted. Stuggling a bit ? Not to worry. You'll get the hang of it

It's your use of the word "dung" to describe a style of play that you later refer to as "not my cup of tea" that marks your post out as silly.

If you had used the latter initially then there would have been no problem at all but using pejorative terms always leads to a negative reaction & that is what you got.

Being from Mayo you should be well aware of how this works. Your senior teams inability to get across the line in recent years has made them an object of ridicule with terms like "chokers" being used to describe all Mayo footballers.  Everyone knows this is unfair & I'm sure it must rankle, it would if it was me, so Mayo people like yourself should be careful with their careless, dismissive & yes ignorant comments.

Whatever about senior Donegal teams of the past this U21 team are most certainly not playing "dung" football, you might wish for more foot passing, fair enough, but that does not make it dung.

Jesus lads, ye are like the football team, so bloody defensive

I'll say it again. IN MY OPINION I think Donegal play a "dung" style of football. I could call it shite, boring, puke have your pick, but this is only my opinion. I've watched this U21 side and the way they play is no different to the senior team at the moment who IN MY OPINION play a "dung style of football. I don't like watching football been played so defensive and with so much hand passing and little kicking. IN MY OPINION Donegal are the worst offenders at this at the moment,  I feel as the years pass by and this style continues to morph we might as well drop the foot from the name and instead of heading to Australia for the compromise rules we might as well play in the Aviva against our D4 cousins

Great for you. You like watching GAA been played in this way and it has brought success to Donegal which no doubt increases your love for it but it doesn't mean we all have to like it.  I find it hilarious to see the boys from the hills getting so sensitive about the word dung like its the worst thing you've ever heard said about the style of football ye have been playing the last 6 years and continue to play at the moment at both senior and U21. Its fine defending your team and honour and make up bullshit at how great it is to see GAA been turned into a form of rugby but please spare use the false outrage over the term "dung"

But then again the logic across this board seems to be the same as social media in general. If I dont agree with you, get in a flap over something stupid and maybe mention the  amount of All Irelands your county has won or the length of time since they won one as this somehow decides how seriously your opinion can be taken.

Youre embarressing yourself again. You say their u21s and seniors play the same style. I would disagree with this as i have seen both sides play and they contrast greatly. I saw u21s twice against my own county and saw their ability to change tactics midgame.
When have you seen them play exactly? Im genuinely interested to see how youve formed your opinion.

Donegal u-21's and Donegal Senior play exactly the same style. Exactly the same. If you say different, its you who is embarrassing yourself and id suspect if you have seen them twice as you say you must be watching with your eyes closed. I've seen the u21's live twice, against Mayo and Cavan and just out of interest after all this ohhing and ahhing about this great attacking force I had a look at the Ulster Final. Guess what CK. No difference. It may as well be the same team that played against Mayo in Castlebar in the league.

I have no idea how Donegal set up against Sligo but your claims about how fantastic they were against Derry are complete nonsense. 

It would seem you've finally converted to this type of football and thats grand but don't be dressing it up as something it isn't. 

DuffleKing

Quote from: criostlinn on April 14, 2017, 12:47:57 AM
Quote from: ck on April 14, 2017, 12:17:11 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 13, 2017, 07:03:05 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 13, 2017, 06:15:01 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 13, 2017, 04:29:33 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 13, 2017, 04:20:31 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 13, 2017, 04:04:37 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 13, 2017, 03:17:26 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 12, 2017, 05:44:07 PMI simply don't like this style of football and I don't like how the sport is turning out because of it.

It pains me to see so many words written with such little thought put into them.

So if it was just Donegal playing this style of football that you're morally opposed to you wouldn't have a problem with it?

As you've admitted yourself it's clearly prevalent with all the top teams, so can you explain why it's only Donegal that are damaging the sport? It must absolutely break you heart to see your own county forced to resort to that "style" to stay competitive.

Instead of getting your knickers in a twist just read my posts properly before compiling your response. You might find the experience a little less "painful"

I read it. If I was to address all the inconsistencies I'd be here till the next time Mayo win the All-Ireland.

So instead you start addressing points I didn't even make.
Right so ted. Stuggling a bit ? Not to worry. You'll get the hang of it

It's your use of the word "dung" to describe a style of play that you later refer to as "not my cup of tea" that marks your post out as silly.

If you had used the latter initially then there would have been no problem at all but using pejorative terms always leads to a negative reaction & that is what you got.

Being from Mayo you should be well aware of how this works. Your senior teams inability to get across the line in recent years has made them an object of ridicule with terms like "chokers" being used to describe all Mayo footballers.  Everyone knows this is unfair & I'm sure it must rankle, it would if it was me, so Mayo people like yourself should be careful with their careless, dismissive & yes ignorant comments.

Whatever about senior Donegal teams of the past this U21 team are most certainly not playing "dung" football, you might wish for more foot passing, fair enough, but that does not make it dung.

Jesus lads, ye are like the football team, so bloody defensive

I'll say it again. IN MY OPINION I think Donegal play a "dung" style of football. I could call it shite, boring, puke have your pick, but this is only my opinion. I've watched this U21 side and the way they play is no different to the senior team at the moment who IN MY OPINION play a "dung style of football. I don't like watching football been played so defensive and with so much hand passing and little kicking. IN MY OPINION Donegal are the worst offenders at this at the moment,  I feel as the years pass by and this style continues to morph we might as well drop the foot from the name and instead of heading to Australia for the compromise rules we might as well play in the Aviva against our D4 cousins

Great for you. You like watching GAA been played in this way and it has brought success to Donegal which no doubt increases your love for it but it doesn't mean we all have to like it.  I find it hilarious to see the boys from the hills getting so sensitive about the word dung like its the worst thing you've ever heard said about the style of football ye have been playing the last 6 years and continue to play at the moment at both senior and U21. Its fine defending your team and honour and make up bullshit at how great it is to see GAA been turned into a form of rugby but please spare use the false outrage over the term "dung"

But then again the logic across this board seems to be the same as social media in general. If I dont agree with you, get in a flap over something stupid and maybe mention the  amount of All Irelands your county has won or the length of time since they won one as this somehow decides how seriously your opinion can be taken.

Youre embarressing yourself again. You say their u21s and seniors play the same style. I would disagree with this as i have seen both sides play and they contrast greatly. I saw u21s twice against my own county and saw their ability to change tactics midgame.
When have you seen them play exactly? Im genuinely interested to see how youve formed your opinion.

Donegal u-21's and Donegal Senior play exactly the same style. Exactly the same. If you say different, its you who is embarrassing yourself and id suspect if you have seen them twice as you say you must be watching with your eyes closed. I've seen the u21's live twice, against Mayo and Cavan and just out of interest after all this ohhing and ahhing about this great attacking force I had a look at the Ulster Final. Guess what CK. No difference. It may as well be the same team that played against Mayo in Castlebar in the league.

I have no idea how Donegal set up against Sligo but your claims about how fantastic they were against Derry are complete nonsense. 

It would seem you've finally converted to this type of football and thats grand but don't be dressing it up as something it isn't.

Correct and it is not a coincidence - so do their minors, 17s, 16s, etc. It's not a coincidence - it's called "strategic thinking" and essential for any county that isn't Dublin to maximise resources.

BluestackBoy

You really are an amazing man. For someone who proclaims his distaste for any Donegal football team you sure seem to go out of your way to watch them a lot. Maybe you are a secret dung lover, the love that dare not breath it's name ;D ;D ;D

I will take it as a compliment that the U21 team play the same style as the senior team who have been widely welcomed as a breath of fresh air in the league this year. I know it is all a matter of taste but comparing Donegal to Mayo in Div 1 this year I would much rather have watched freewheeling Donegal than the "dung" Mayo served up. Who will ever forget the horror of the Dublin game?

I suppose we should be grateful in a way that you are keeping the purists flag flying, longing for the day when man to man marking comes back, Blackthorn boots are worn by all true Gaels & the Archbishop throws the ball in before the game.

Dung lovers of the world unite!!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

rosnarun

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 14, 2017, 09:00:01 AM

You really are an amazing man. For someone who proclaims his distaste for any Donegal football team you sure seem to go out of your way to watch them a lot. Maybe you are a secret dung lover, the love that dare not breath it's name ;D ;D ;D

I will take it as a compliment that the U21 team play the same style as the senior team who have been widely welcomed as a breath of fresh air in the league this year. I know it is all a matter of taste but comparing Donegal to Mayo in Div 1 this year I would much rather have watched freewheeling Donegal than the "dung" Mayo served up. Who will ever forget the horror of the Dublin game?

I suppose we should be grateful in a way that you are keeping the purists flag flying, longing for the day when man to man marking comes back, Blackthorn boots are worn by all true Gaels & the Archbishop throws the ball in before the game.

A thoughtful piece
your confusing playioing dung . which is negative 15 man behind the ball keep possession at all costs football that Donegal play  with playing badly which is what Mayo did during the league match against dublin or indeed Donegal did when Aidain o Se came on in Castlebar and Schooled murphy .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

StephenC

If only there were 2 massive games being played tomorrow to distract us all from this pearl-clutching.

Donegal are (surprisingly IMO) slight favourites on PP. 4/6 vs 13/8 for Dublin. 15/2 the draw.
Kerry are 7/1 on which seems crazy versus a decent Galway team. I know that this is an exceptional Kerry team but those odds seem mad.

Both games are on TG4
Dublin v Donegal 2.30pm in Breffni Park
Kerry v Galway 4.30pm in Cusack Park Ennis.

criostlinn

I think the fact that you find it amazing that someone would actually attend a match in which Donegal are playing says it all but fret not I did not go out of my way to much and it most certainly wasn't to see the "free wheeling"  ;D ;D style of Donegal. Well maybe when I watched the ulster u21 final on youtube I was expecting some revolutionary form of attacking play which they'd developed in a week after the way some folk on here built it up. But no. It transpires that some people just see a scoreline and cant wait to get on the keyboard to proclaim that this is the new Donegal. 

You can take it as a compliment if you want when I said the u21 and seniors play the same style. It most certainly wasn't meant to be a criticism. It was more of an observation and a reply to that other eagit  who tells me I'm embarrassing myself by saying it. Of course they are going to play the same. Half the senior team is made up of u21's. The way some people have taken to this style, Donegal certainly wont be changing any time soon so of course they are going to be playing the same.

You seem to be amazed that someone would be actually critical of the way Donegal play. Like really. You've never heard it said before. You talk about "widely accepted as a breath of fresh air" and "free wheeling". What the hell are ye smoking up in the hills.
The way Donegal are playing at the moment is actually more defensive then 2012 when they got a lot of unfair criticism because of what they did to the Dubs the year before.

And back we go to a pop at Mayo to try and rubbish what I am saying. Its like a child. " My daddy is better then your daddy". If you want to pick a league match between Dublin and Mayo in March as some sort of justification for how Donegal play the game so be it, truck on, what ever it takes to convince yourself but it just gives me the impression that you haven't looked much at Mayo or Donegal this year

I think best leave it at that. You seem to be taking any criticism of Donegal's style of football from a Mayo man as a personal dig. This started with me describing Donegal's u21 style of play as "dung" after some people started using a scoreline to in some way justify the way they play the game. I'm in no way suggesting we should go back to man to man but I fear the way things are going if teams who play this style keep on been successful we  will just end up with a version of rugby without the egg as everyone else follows. A few simple rule changes could improve things but some people's blind loyalty to the county winning over how the game is played will always be an obstacle for any change

twohands!!!

Quote from: StephenC on April 14, 2017, 09:39:28 AM
If only there were 2 massive games being played tomorrow to distract us all from this pearl-clutching.

Donegal are (surprisingly IMO) slight favourites on PP. 4/6 vs 13/8 for Dublin. 15/2 the draw.
Kerry are 7/1 on which seems crazy versus a decent Galway team. I know that this is an exceptional Kerry team but those odds seem mad.

Both games are on TG4

I would imagine the bookies have taken a lot on Kerry to win the All-Ireland out so aren't offering attractive odds as they want to limit their exposure - plus the fact that Kerry absolutely took Cork apart in the last game whereas Galway needed extra-time to get past Sligo who have never even won a Connacht title at U21.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Galway taking a biggish beating here - their backs look very average imo (even when they had numbers back against Sligo they weren't defending as a solid unit but as individuals) and if the Kerry forwards hit form it could get ugly.

Dublin will be hoping for goals and that the league games and condensed schedule catches up with the Donegal lads.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: criostlinn on April 14, 2017, 10:52:21 AM

I think the fact that you find it amazing that someone would actually attend a match in which Donegal are playing says it all but fret not I did not go out of my way to much and it most certainly wasn't to see the "free wheeling"  ;D ;D style of Donegal. Well maybe when I watched the ulster u21 final on youtube I was expecting some revolutionary form of attacking play which they'd developed in a week after the way some folk on here built it up. But no. It transpires that some people just see a scoreline and cant wait to get on the keyboard to proclaim that this is the new Donegal. 

You can take it as a compliment if you want when I said the u21 and seniors play the same style. It most certainly wasn't meant to be a criticism. It was more of an observation and a reply to that other eagit  who tells me I'm embarrassing myself by saying it. Of course they are going to play the same. Half the senior team is made up of u21's. The way some people have taken to this style, Donegal certainly wont be changing any time soon so of course they are going to be playing the same.

You seem to be amazed that someone would be actually critical of the way Donegal play. Like really. You've never heard it said before. You talk about "widely accepted as a breath of fresh air" and "free wheeling". What the hell are ye smoking up in the hills.
The way Donegal are playing at the moment is actually more defensive then 2012 when they got a lot of unfair criticism because of what they did to the Dubs the year before.

And back we go to a pop at Mayo to try and rubbish what I am saying. Its like a child. " My daddy is better then your daddy". If you want to pick a league match between Dublin and Mayo in March as some sort of justification for how Donegal play the game so be it, truck on, what ever it takes to convince yourself but it just gives me the impression that you haven't looked much at Mayo or Donegal this year

I think best leave it at that. You seem to be taking any criticism of Donegal's style of football from a Mayo man as a personal dig. This started with me describing Donegal's u21 style of play as "dung" after some people started using a scoreline to in some way justify the way they play the game. I'm in no way suggesting we should go back to man to man but I fear the way things are going if teams who play this style keep on been successful we  will just end up with a version of rugby without the egg as everyone else follows. A few simple rule changes could improve things but some people's blind loyalty to the county winning over how the game is played will always be an obstacle for any change

Ah no criost, I don't take what you say personally at all. I am just enjoying a bit of banter with a man who is well fit for it.

See you in Cavan tomorrow ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 14, 2017, 12:48:04 PM

Both games are on TG4

I would imagine the bookies have taken a lot on Kerry to win the All-Ireland out so aren't offering attractive odds as they want to limit their exposure - plus the fact that Kerry absolutely took Cork apart in the last game whereas Galway needed extra-time to get past Sligo who have never even won a Connacht title at U21.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Galway taking a biggish beating here - their backs look very average imo (even when they had numbers back against Sligo they weren't defending as a solid unit but as individuals) and if the Kerry forwards hit form it could get ugly.

Dublin will be hoping for goals and that the league games and condensed schedule catches up with the Donegal lads.
u21 isnt as predictable as senior
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Indeed.
Mayowestros didn't look all that hectic in Connacht last year yet went all the way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on April 14, 2017, 01:37:55 PM
Indeed.
Mayowestros didn't look all that hectic in Connacht last year yet went all the way.

I think it was in 2011 that Cork were red hot favourites only to be beaten by Galway in the semi
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 14, 2017, 12:48:04 PM

Both games are on TG4

There is also the possibility that Cork were not actually that good this year. They were fortunate enough to beat Limerick in the Munster semi in large part thanks to a missed Limerick penalty.

Also the possibility that Sligo actually had quite a decent team this year. They beat Roscommon relatively handy and their school sides have been doing very well in Connacht in the past couple years so they obviously have talent coming through.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team v Kerry

1. Ronán Ó Beoláin (Mícheál Breathnach)

2. Liam Kelly (An Spidéal)
3. Séan Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna, Leitir Móir)
4. Rory Greene (Killannin)

5. Kieran Molloy (Corofin)
6. Dylan McHugh (Corofin)
7. Cillian McDaid (Monivea-Abbey)

8. Peter Cooke (Maigh Cuilinn)
9. Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)

10. Séan Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
11. Michael Daly - Capt. (Mountbellew/Moylough)
12. Paul Mannion (Kilconly)

13. Robert Finnerty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
14. Eoin Finnerty (Mountbellew/Moylough)
15. Dessie Conneely (Maigh Cuilinn)

Kerry

1. Shane Ryan Rathmore

2. Tom (Leo) O'Sullivan Dingle
3. Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
4. Tom O'Sullivan Dingle

5. Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht
6. Andrew Barry Na Gaeil
7. Gavin White Dr Crokes

8.Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue
9.Barry O'Sullivan Dingle

10. Brandon Barrett Ardfert
11. Sean O'Shea Kenmare
12. Matthew Flaherty Dingle

13. Killian Spillane Templenoe
14. Matthew O'Sullivan St Michaels-Foilmore
15. Conor Geaney Dingle

Walter Cronc

If Dingle don't win an All Ireland club in the next 5 years I'll eat my hat!!!

BluestackBoy

Looking forward to tomorrows game against an unchanged Dublin team. No word on the Donegal team but I'm sure it will be more or less the same as the team that started the Ulster final.

The weather forecast is good which will suit two good footballing teams who put the emphasis on scoring to win games & I'm sure there will be a big crowd there as many neutrals will want to see this game as well.

The Magees jersey is aired, the sausages & bacon are in for the pre match fry up & God is in his heaven.