All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Jinxy on April 11, 2017, 10:14:34 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 10, 2017, 09:31:10 PM
Donegal are a serious side.

Physically they are huge for an u21 squad, will Gillespie make the semi final?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/euro2m-worth-of-anabolic-steroids-seized-in-donegal-780915.html

???

Other medicines, including human growth hormone and products for erectile dysfunction, were also found.

I suppose it never hampered Pele :)

BluestackBoy

Quote from: yellowcard on April 11, 2017, 10:25:03 AM
Justy because Donegal have scored heavily does not mean that they play entertaining football. It is not an enjoyable style watching that safety first possession based game where the ball is constantly carried through the hand. However they are just better at it than most. It helps when the players carrying out the gameplan are good players. They are capable of running up big scores from fast counter attacks provided the opposition are not at a similar level and do not decide to engage in an arm wrestle. I think we will see another Kerry v Donegal U-21 final with a similar result to that at the minor grade 3 years ago. Donegal football appear to have managed the transition from the lossof so many key players at senior level really well and is in a good place though.

Fair enough yellowcard, point taken & everyone to their own.

Its just that Donegal have taken huge flak over the years about being a "negative" & "defensive" team & now that we are playing a faster more positive & expansive game, guess what, we are still getting it in the neck.

Granted, Donegal teams don't engage in long foot passes to the same extent as Kerry do, Donegal teams never did & I have a feeling if we did try to do it we would be brutal at it. Its just not our way to play that style, but to criticise a super young team over one small aspect of their play when they do everything else so well is a bit much.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

criostlinn

Donegal style of football is absolute dung to watch. Its like a form of rugby league. Team moving up the field with ball in hand trying to break lines, recycling the ball, try to break the next line or force the opposition into giving away a cheap penalty. Yes, its getting them results but its horrid to watch and it forces teams they play against into a defensive system so they don't get caught on the break.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: criostlinn on April 11, 2017, 11:27:05 AM
Donegal style of football is absolute dung to watch. Its like a form of rugby league. Team moving up the field with ball in hand trying to break lines, recycling the ball, try to break the next line or force the opposition into giving away a cheap penalty. Yes, its getting them results but its horrid to watch and it forces teams they play against into a defensive system so they don't get caught on the break.

I take it you didn't watch last night's game then.

Syferus

Isn't Mayo's game about breaking lines and handpasses too? If anything Mayo play that game better than Donegal because their older and more physical players haven't retired yet.

criostlinn

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 11, 2017, 12:33:39 PM

No I wasn't. Did I miss something new

BluestackBoy

Quote from: criostlinn on April 11, 2017, 01:01:26 PM

Its just that since this thread is about the U21 championship I thought you might at least have watched them before making derogatory comments.

All I can say is that Mayo must have some U21 team if scoring 6-34 in a provincial semi final & final can be regarded as "dung".

greatpoint

And here was me thinking 2013 and the two matches last year would have made the 2012 All-Ireland easier to get over!

Captain Obvious

Semi finals this Saturday, April 15, 2017

Kingspan Breffni Pk
Dublin v Donegal
2:30pm
Referee: James Bermingham

Cusack Park, Ennis
Galway v Kerry
4:30pm
Referee: Brendan Cawley

Extra time if needed and both games will be live on TG4.

criostlinn

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 11, 2017, 01:58:53 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 11, 2017, 01:01:26 PM

Its just that since this thread is about the U21 championship I thought you might at least have watched them before making derogatory comments.

All I can say is that Mayo must have some U21 team if scoring 6-34 in a provincial semi final & final can be regarded as "dung".

Where you at it

ck

Bit of an ignorant statement this criostlinn. I watched the game on-line and thought Donegal were very attacking. They leave a lot of men up and attack with serious pace. Ok they get back but unlike the McGuinness era they get back rather than stay back. This u21 side is a very well organised unit but I can't see them having enough to stop the Dubs.

criostlinn

Quote from: greatpoint on April 11, 2017, 02:38:39 PM

And here was me thinking 2013 and the two matches last year would have made the 2012 All-Ireland easier to get over!

Youre quoting me in this. You'll have to explain.

criostlinn

Quote from: ck on April 11, 2017, 11:06:16 PM

Bit of an ignorant statement this criostlinn. I watched the game on-line and thought Donegal were very attacking. They leave a lot of men up and attack with serious pace. Ok they get back but unlike the McGuinness era they get back rather than stay back. This u21 side is a very well organised unit but I can't see them having enough to stop the Dubs.

Ignorant. Really. I bow to your superior knowledge. I think its pretty obvious from the scoreline Donegal were attacking last night. I never said they weren't but its not true to say they leave a lot of men up

ck

Quote from: criostlinn on April 11, 2017, 11:15:12 PM

Ignorant. Really. I bow to your superior knowledge. I think its pretty obvious from the scoreline Donegal were attacking last night. I never said they weren't but its not true to say they leave a lot of men up

Sorry but I actually watched the game. Did you? Yes they get a lot of men back at times but at others I counted 5 men ahead of the ball. They seem to rotate their gameplan well.

criostlinn

Quote from: ck on April 11, 2017, 11:25:34 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 11, 2017, 11:15:12 PM

Sorry but I actually watched the game. Did you? Yes they get a lot of men back at times but at others I counted 5 men ahead of the ball. They seem to rotate their gameplan well.

Wow. 5 ahead of the ball. No way. They've really come on since I last saw them. Don't get me wrong. I know some people may enjoy this kinda thing. Sure the Irish rugby team could attract 82000 into croke park. It's just not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean my opinion is ignorant.