All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 06, 2017, 10:41:35 AM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 06, 2017, 10:29:58 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 06, 2017, 10:07:19 AM
Very impressive result from Donegal, how many of those u21's would expect to be in the starting 15 come the summer?

Hard to know how many will start but 16 of them featured at some stage during the league campaign & I'd say 5 or 6 of them would be nailed on starters with a number more on the bench.

That's a seriously young team, will be interesting to see how they fare come the summer. On a somewhat related note, I was listening to the Crossmaglen piece on OTB podcast from last week - ten of their 1997 team were U21.

The biggest issue for them would be the physical nature of championship football at the top level. Some of these lads will need another year or two before they are at full physical strength & the way Mayo bullied them in the second half last Sunday would lead me to believe that this summer might be a bit too soon for them.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

StephenC

Disgraceful decision to bring the game to Armagh. How are people from Donegal supposed to finish up work and get there for 8pm?

Coin toss offered to Derry by Donegal but they refused to take it.  ::)

rodney trotter

They are obsessed with having all the finals in Armagh.  Ulster Club,  MacRrory,u21.

It might be fairly new, doesn't mean all finals should be there.  Cavan played Donegal there in 2014, out of the way for both teams.

omagh_gael

Some display by Donegal. Unreal to think that if the Tyrone player in the last minute of normal time in the drawn game had of fisted the ball over the bar rather than go for goal and miss then Donegal would more than likely have gone out and that would have been it for the underage career of many of their players. All about the inches.

armaghniac

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 06, 2017, 01:15:26 PM
They are obsessed with having all the finals in Armagh.  Ulster Club,  MacRrory,u21.

It might be fairly new, doesn't mean all finals should be there.  Cavan played Donegal there in 2014, out of the way for both teams.

Healy Park is the obvious location, but a shower of rain and it is under water.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 06, 2017, 11:53:33 AM
Very impressive result from Donegal, how many of those u21's would expect to be in the starting 15 come the summer?

Hard to know how many will start but 16 of them featured at some stage during the league campaign & I'd say 5 or 6 of them would be nailed on starters with a number more on the bench.

That's a seriously young team, will be interesting to see how they fare come the summer. On a somewhat related note, I was listening to the Crossmaglen piece on OTB podcast from last week - ten of their 1997 team were U21.

The biggest issue for them would be the physical nature of championship football at the top level. Some of these lads will need another year or two before they are at full physical strength & the way Mayo bullied them in the second half last Sunday would lead me to believe that this summer might be a bit too soon for them.

I would think so. But from I've read and heard, most people are fairly patient and while hoping for a serious tilt at Ulster, aren't expecting too much this year.

Armamike

I remember being at the final in 97 and on the way home someone mentioning that 10 of them were due to play an under 21 match the following week in the county championship. And that was excluding Oisin i think who just missed the grade by a few months i think (could be wrong).

That's just, like your opinion man.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armamike on April 06, 2017, 09:28:10 PM

I remember being at the final in 97 and on the way home someone mentioning that 10 of them were due to play an under 21 match the following week in the county championship. And that was excluding Oisin i think who just missed the grade by a few months i think (could be wrong).

Of the team that started the final there were 8 of us who had played in the u21s in that dames season but it was over before the final. Paddy McKeown, Francie, the twins, Anthony Cunningham, Cathal Short, Oisin and myself. Francie had 1 more year u21 the twins had 2. Of the squad itself there were 12 who were u21 that season

ck

Joe Brolly was in the stand the other night with an ear piece in and speaking to the Derry sideline via radio. Any Derry gaels on here can confirm if hes involved with the team?

RedHandTom

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 06, 2017, 01:15:26 PM

Ulster Council love putting finals in Armagh for some reason. To bring Derry and Donegal to Armagh seems a crazy decision. What was wrong with Omagh?

Both Derry and Donegal have 4 or 5 seniors from NFL so should be a tight game

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHandTom on April 10, 2017, 08:32:28 AM

Ulster Council love putting finals in Armagh for some reason. To bring Derry and Donegal to Armagh seems a crazy decision. What was wrong with Omagh?

This is the problem with Omagh

Now today might be dry, but that could not be easily predicted when setting the fixture and this fixture cannot be postponed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

What does Ă“maigh mean?
Flooding in Cork is logical cos the Irish, Corcaigh, means marshy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on April 10, 2017, 12:11:06 PM
Quote from: RedHandTom on April 10, 2017, 08:32:28 AM

This is the problem with Omagh

Now today might be dry, but that could not be easily predicted when setting the fixture and this fixture cannot be postponed.

Someone in Tyrone GAA needs to give Prunty a ring.

Jinxy

Quote from: ck on April 07, 2017, 10:25:36 AM
Joe Brolly was in the stand the other night with an ear piece in and speaking to the Derry sideline via radio.

I'd say the mute button got plenty of use.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jinxy on April 10, 2017, 02:35:48 PM
Quote from: ck on April 07, 2017, 10:25:36 AM
Joe Brolly was in the stand the other night with an ear piece in and speaking to the Derry sideline via radio.

I'd say the mute button got plenty of use.

Joe Brolly was in the stand the other night with an ear piece in and was pretending to speak to the Derry sideline via radio.

;)