All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: maigheo on April 02, 2017, 01:46:54 AM
Would agree  with everyone about Molloy.Would see him as a definite senior player,so athletic and  unruffled on the ball.Looks like Michael Daly will be tormenting us here in Mayo for the next few years.A very impressive player

Ah yeah Daly is a mighty bit of stuff alright. He didn't lick it off a stone.

ballinaman

Very small crowd there, entertaining game.

seafoid

Under 21 is much more open than senior intercounty

galwayman

There's a lot of good footballers on that Galway u21 team.
I would nearly fancy us against any of the remaining teams apart from the Kingdom.
I don't think we'll have enough to trouble them.
McDaid was exceptional yesterday.
He was very good against my own club in the championship last year.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 02, 2017, 03:57:22 AM
Quote from: maigheo on April 02, 2017, 01:46:54 AM
Would agree  with everyone about Molloy.Would see him as a definite senior player,so athletic and  unruffled on the ball.Looks like Michael Daly will be tormenting us here in Mayo for the next few years.A very impressive player

Ah yeah Daly is a mighty bit of stuff alright. He didn't lick it off a stone.

He's a bit of a looper on the field, though?

ck

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 01, 2017, 10:54:52 PM
Quote from: ck on April 01, 2017, 10:33:44 PM
Just in from the game. Gutted by the result but very proud of the boys. We had it in normal time but let it slip and in fairness we were lucky to snatch the draw only for a silly foul by the Galway no.2.
Our lack of strength in depth showed in extra time. Some of our lads were dead on their feet.

Based on tonight Galway were not the best team we've played this year. That was Cavan, who are a very very good side. We beat Donegal twice and beat Dublin Mayo and Tyrone. The future is bright.

You need to stop judging a team on what happens in challenge games, a pointless exercise. Sligo weren't favourites to reach Connacht final and few fancied them to be competitive today but Sligo achieved both.

As for Galway they won a provincial title with average manager however Fahy v O Connor next looks like a total mismatch.

I think you'll find that I predicted a connacht final for Sligo. This was based on challenge matches and Hastings/NW Cup results. Challenge matches are very revealing at this level and results are very much in line with championship match results.

Itchy

Is it try that the Ulster final winners will have to play the AI semi 3 days after their Ulster final due to all the replays and cancellations? That happened to cavan I think 5 yrs ago, it was actually the only semi we won. It is very unfair on the players.

ck

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2017, 08:59:02 PM
Is it try that the Ulster final winners will have to play the AI semi 3 days after their Ulster final due to all the replays and cancellations? That happened to cavan I think 5 yrs ago, it was actually the only semi we won. It is very unfair on the players.

Replays didnt impact. The only delay was Ulster semis being postposed last week, leaving Ulster a week behind the rest. Ulster council appear to have planned it all very badly cos even without last weeks farce, they were always going to be behind. Advantage, Kerry and Dublin!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: ballinaman on April 02, 2017, 08:23:16 AM
A lot of Sligo people tend to opt for the terrace where the camera was situated, especially with the decent evening that it was. That stand doesn't provide the greatest of views either to be honest. Disappointing in the end but they gave it everything, but the better team got through I guess.

twohands!!!

Quote from: ck on April 02, 2017, 09:03:35 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2017, 08:59:02 PM

Replays didnt impact. The only delay was Ulster semis being postposed last week, leaving Ulster a week behind the rest. Ulster council appear to have planned it all very badly cos even without last weeks farce, they were always going to be behind. Advantage, Kerry and Dublin!

Yup it was shocking planning by the Ulster council.
Will probably be more to Dublin's advantage as there is 2 weeks between the semi-final and the final and the winners of Ulster are playing Connacht

Itchy

magpie seanie

Absolutely gutted that we came so close and yet again missed out on a provincial title at this grade. Well done to our lads though who gave it everything. This is a good group of players we have coming through and I'm looking forward to their development. There is a lot of good work being done in Sligo at underage and I think that should be acknowledged. Paul Taylor had a lot of doubters in Sligo but seems to have done a good job with this side....hope he can also develop as a manager because I think we need a Sligo man at the helm to progress.

Congrats to Galway. Ye seem to have an uncanny knack of having a really good team when we have good sides ourselves. Should be a cracking semi against Kerry.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ck on April 02, 2017, 08:40:11 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 01, 2017, 10:54:52 PM
Quote from: ck on April 01, 2017, 10:33:44 PM
Just in from the game. Gutted by the result but very proud of the boys. We had it in normal time but let it slip and in fairness we were lucky to snatch the draw only for a silly foul by the Galway no.2.
Our lack of strength in depth showed in extra time. Some of our lads were dead on their feet.

Based on tonight Galway were not the best team we've played this year. That was Cavan, who are a very very good side. We beat Donegal twice and beat Dublin Mayo and Tyrone. The future is bright.

You need to stop judging a team on what happens in challenge games, a pointless exercise. Sligo weren't favourites to reach Connacht final and few fancied them to be competitive today but Sligo achieved both.

As for Galway they won a provincial title with average manager however Fahy v O Connor next looks like a total mismatch.

I think you'll find that I predicted a connacht final for Sligo. This was based on challenge matches and Hastings/NW Cup results. Challenge matches are very revealing at this level and results are very much in line with championship match results.

As you can see here I was more or less predicting a Sligo v Galway final with the tribesmen winning it back in December. Wouldnt shout it from the roof tops though as it was fairly predictable

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27578.msg1654521#msg1654521

I was basing it on minor championship results the last few years and the strength of each panel. The Roscommon team Sligo beat a few weeks ago were missing the majority of their 2014 minor team (the only decent minor team they had the last three years) so drawing with Galway in normal time was a far more impressive performance.

Challenge games are pointless teams would be better off playing A V B games in training than playing any challenge.

ballinaman

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 02, 2017, 10:59:04 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 02, 2017, 08:23:16 AM
A lot of Sligo people tend to opt for the terrace where the camera was situated, especially with the decent evening that it was. That stand doesn't provide the greatest of views either to be honest. Disappointing in the end but they gave it everything, but the better team got through I guess.
I was at it. Small crowd on that terrace, shame. More entertainment there than we might see for a good few months of the summer.

Maroon Manc

D'Arcy made a huge impact when he came on, you'd have to think he'll start the next day after a performance like that.

Is Dylan Wall injured?