All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2017, 08:14:10 PM
Young Finnerty is an example of how the economic situation is influencing the game. Co. Galway has had population growth in the last 20 years. Mayo has recently had population decline. Sligo has a much smaller population. The son of a Mayo footballer plays for Galway but not as easy to see the reverse happening. There are more jobs in Galway.

Yeah it's tough for the time being Seafoid but maybe one day we might have a government who actually implements the national spatial strategy!

seafoid

Quote from: Crete Boom on April 01, 2017, 08:37:02 PM
Young Finnerty is an example of how the economic situation is influencing the game. Co. Galway has had population growth in the last 20 years. Mayo has recently had population decline. Sligo has a much smaller population. The son of a Mayo footballer plays for Galway but not as easy to see the reverse happening. There are more jobs in Galway.

Yeah it's tough for the time being Seafoid but maybe one day we might have a government who actually implements the national spatial strategy!
Or a new economic system
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on April 01, 2017, 08:17:44 PM

Why are Galway shite, then?
Both teams reached 2 finals recently

Dublin 1-21
Roscommon 3-6

Galway 1-14
Cork 1-11

Dublin 2-12
Roscommon 0-11

Galway 2-16
Cavan 1-9
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

Credit to both teams on a cracking final, wouldn't have begrudged Sligo in the slightest if they'd won it but I think the marginally better overall team took home the cup.
Don't think they'll beat Kerry unless there's a big improvement in keeping the opposition score down but they'll be huge underdogs against one of the most fancied teams at this level for a long while, so nothing to lose at this stage either.

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2017, 08:57:53 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on April 01, 2017, 08:37:02 PM

Or a new economic system

That's coming down the line soon as well Seaf.

sligoman2

Good effort from our lads - tired of moral victories but we are on the up and the future is brighter than it has been for a long time. Congrats to galway
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ck

Just in from the game. Gutted by the result but very proud of the boys. We had it in normal time but let it slip and in fairness we were lucky to snatch the draw only for a silly foul by the Galway no.2.
Our lack of strength in depth showed in extra time. Some of our lads were dead on their feet.

Based on tonight Galway were not the best team we've played this year. That was Cavan, who are a very very good side. We beat Donegal twice and beat Dublin Mayo and Tyrone. The future is bright.

galwayman

William Finnerty who came on as a sub near the end of extra time is a brother of Rob also.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ck on April 01, 2017, 10:33:44 PM
Just in from the game. Gutted by the result but very proud of the boys. We had it in normal time but let it slip and in fairness we were lucky to snatch the draw only for a silly foul by the Galway no.2.
Our lack of strength in depth showed in extra time. Some of our lads were dead on their feet.

Based on tonight Galway were not the best team we've played this year. That was Cavan, who are a very very good side. We beat Donegal twice and beat Dublin Mayo and Tyrone. The future is bright.

You need to stop judging a team on what happens in challenge games, a pointless exercise. Sligo weren't favourites to reach Connacht final and few fancied them to be competitive today but Sligo achieved both.

As for Galway they won a provincial title with average manager however Fahy v O Connor next looks like a total mismatch.

Seamus

Surprised nobody has mentioned No 5 Kieran Molloy, I thought he was outstanding. Who got man of the match
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Duine Eile

Quote from: Seamus on April 01, 2017, 11:29:44 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned No 5 Kieran Molly, I thought he was outstanding. Who got man of the match

He was fantastic, he's had a great year with Corofin too. Cillian McDaid got man of the match.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Duine Eile on April 01, 2017, 11:30:44 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned No 5 Kieran Molly, I thought he was outstanding. Who got man of the match

He was fantastic, he's had a great year with Corofin too. Cillian McDaid got man of the match.

Seen him play for NUIG v Mayo in the FBD and Corofin v Mitchels. He looks so relaxed on the ball and a great reader of the game. Always looks like there is no panic and plays the game simple and very well.

Duine Eile

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 02, 2017, 12:15:32 AM
Quote from: Duine Eile on April 01, 2017, 11:30:44 PM

Seen him play for NUIG v Mayo in the FBD and Corofin v Mitchels. He looks so relaxed on the ball and a great reader of the game. Always looks like there is no panic and plays the game simple and very well.

And to top all that he also has fabulous hair!  :P

maigheo

Would agree  with everyone about Molloy.Would see him as a definite senior player,so athletic and  unruffled on the ball.Looks like Michael Daly will be tormenting us here in Mayo for the next few years.A very impressive player

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 01, 2017, 10:54:52 PM
Quote from: ck on April 01, 2017, 10:33:44 PM

You need to stop judging a team on what happens in challenge games, a pointless exercise. Sligo weren't favourites to reach Connacht final and few fancied them to be competitive today but Sligo achieved both.

As for Galway they won a provincial title with average manager however Fahy v O Connor next looks like a total mismatch.

My biggest fear to be honest.