All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Galway walking away with it now.

Don't think they can have much complaints about the ref in the second half, brought it on themselves with poor tackles, cynical fouls and trying to kill the clock.

Galway should give Kerry a good game from what I've seen.

Feel Donegal will give it a great crack if they get out of Ulster, I'd say they have the most physically developed side of the teams in it.

dúnros

Amazing. The genes never lie. (even if its a different code !)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: dúnros on April 01, 2017, 07:55:00 PM
The two forwards for Galway, with the luminous boots, are some ballers.
Micháel Daly son of Val, is very like his Da, hugely skillful but intelligent with it. The Finnerty lad is hardly anything to Pete I take it ?

Son of Anthony Finnerty of Mayo fame.

MayoBuck

Micháel Daly son of Val, is very like his Da, hugely skillful but intelligent with it. The Finnerty lad is hardly anything to Pete I take it ?

Rob finnerty, number 13, is son of Anthony.

dúnros

Ahh ! That explains it better. (sorry, genuinely didn't know) the da Anthony could finish too mind.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 01, 2017, 07:58:47 PM

Son of Anthony Finnerty of Mayo fame.
Larry Og
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Galway will be well battle hardened going into the Kerry game anyway. Lot of talented footballers in that team but they haven't put a consistent 60 minutes together yet. Mayo game was probably the closest they got. Have spells where they look irresistible and spells where they switch off. Needless to say will need more of the former against Kerry.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 01, 2017, 07:58:28 PM

Don't think they can have much complaints about the ref in the second half, brought it on themselves with poor tackles, cynical fouls and trying to kill the clock.

Feel Donegal will give it a great crack if they get out of Ulster, I'd say they have the most physically developed side of the teams in it.

I can't see Galway being secure enough at the back to beat Kerry - the Sligo attack looks ordinary enough and Sligo have been a good bit behind Galway in terms of the amount of possession they have, yet still scored 2-14. I think if Kerry are to be beaten it will be in the final.

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 01, 2017, 08:06:38 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 01, 2017, 07:58:28 PM

I can't see Galway being secure enough at the back to beat Kerry - the Sligo attack looks ordinary enough and Sligo have been a good bit behind Galway in terms of the amount of possession they have, yet still scored 2-14. I think if Kerry are to be beaten it will be in the final.
u21 is quite unpredictable. In either 2011 or 2013 Cork were unbackable as favourites and Galway beat them in the semi.

GalwayBayBoy

Hard luck Sligo. Thought ye had it at one point there.

seafoid

Young Finnerty is an example of how the economic situation is influencing the game. Co. Galway has had population growth in the last 20 years. Mayo has recently had population decline. Sligo has a much smaller population. The son of a Mayo footballer plays for Galway but not as easy to see the reverse happening. There are more jobs in Galway.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2017, 08:14:10 PM
Young Finnerty is an example of how the economic situation is influencing the game. Co. Galway has had population growth in the last 20 years. Mayo has recently had population decline. Sligo has a much smaller population. The son of a Mayo footballer plays for Galway but not as easy to see the reverse happening. There are more jobs in Galway.

Why are Galway shite, then?

Maroon Manc

McDaid was outstanding, he kicked points of both feet. He looked very comfortable playing in the half back line, lets hope he stays away from the aussie rules.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 01, 2017, 08:19:32 PM
McDaid was outstanding, he kicked points of both feet. He looked very comfortable playing in the half back line, lets hope he stays away from the aussie rules.

Yeah him, Daly, Finnerty and Cooke look the pick of the bunch. All should be top class players for Galway further down the line. Well Daly is getting there already.

GaillimhIarthair

Very good game and commiserations to Sligo, put up a great battle there through the 2nd half of normal time to eek out a draw.

Improvement needed for the semi but we seem to go into most of them as underdogs anyway and usually surprise a few people!!