All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Jinxy on March 30, 2017, 11:13:38 AM
It's actually nuts that that before last night, 2008 was the last time Kerry won a munster u-21.
How could Cork be that dominant and not see any real progression at senior level?

A succession of poor to very poor managers, poor training facilities and I suspect Kerry Group's money makes a difference too. A culture of mediocrity has crept in there in recent years too.

shark

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on March 30, 2017, 07:21:16 PM
It's actually nuts that that before last night, 2008 was the last time Kerry won a munster u-21.
How could Cork be that dominant and not see any real progression at senior level?

A succession of poor to very poor managers, poor training facilities and I suspect Kerry Group's money makes a difference too. A culture of mediocrity has crept in there in recent years too.

The manager issue has been a bit ridiculous. But this has been a long standing problem in Cork GAA. From the outside looking in it seemed that Ephie Fitzgerald was an obvious candidate for the past few years.
Also there is a certain level of not caring. I have family down there who are huge GAA people. But it's all about club. They wouldn't bother going to Croke Park to see Cork play if they were paid. The very idea of it is crazy to them.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on March 30, 2017, 09:14:46 PM

The manager issue has been a bit ridiculous. But this has been a long standing problem in Cork GAA. From the outside looking in it seemed that Ephie Fitzgerald was an obvious candidate for the past few years.
Also there is a certain level of not caring. I have family down there who are huge GAA people. But it's all about club. They wouldn't bother going to Croke Park to see Cork play if they were paid. The very idea of it is crazy to them.

The real answer is their players are a bit shite. I remember Indiana or someone salivating over Hurley three or four years ago..

shark

Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2017, 09:53:49 PM

The real answer is their players are a bit shite. I remember Indiana or someone salivating over Hurely three or four years ago..

He wasn't the only one. Hurley hasn't even played 10 championship games for Cork, so I don't know what you're judging him on. Quite possible he will never even make it to 10 due to the state of his hamstring. You picked a poor example. There are others for sure who have had chances to live up to their underage billing and have failed to do so. It is hard for young players to come in and preform in an unstable environment though.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: shark on March 30, 2017, 10:06:24 PM

The real answer is their players are a bit shite. I remember Indiana or someone salivating over Hurely three or four years ago..

He wasn't the only one. Hurley hasn't even played 10 championship games for Cork, so I don't know what you're judging him on. Quite possible he will never even make it to 10 due to the state of his hamstring. You picked a poor example. There are others for sure who have had chances to live up to their underage billing and have failed to do so. It is hard for young players to come in and preform in an unstable environment though.

There are 2 younger brothers who look handy too. Cork don't look like they care very much any more. James loughrey from antrim went there and i am sure was expecting to be playing in July august every year and probably hasn't seen football then once. So much talent in the county too.

From the Bunker

Cork dominating Munster football over 8 years means nothing other than they are better than Kerry during that period. With the slight exception of Tipp, the rest are fodder for the big two year in year out!

GalwayBayBoy

Galway name unchanged team for Connacht final

1. Ronán Ó Beoláin (Mícheál Breathnach)
2. Liam Kelly (An Spidéal)
3. Séan Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna, Leitir Móir)
4. Rory Greene (Killannin)
5. Kieran Molloy (Corofin)
6. Dylan McHugh (Corofin)
7. Cillian McDaid (Monivea-Abbey)
8. Peter Cooke (Maigh Cuilinn)
9. Colm Ó Braonain (Oileáin Árann)
10. Antaine Ó Laoi (An Spidéal)
11. Micheal Daly - Capt. (Mountbellew/Moylough)
12. Colin Brady (Corofin)
13. Robert Finnerty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
14. Paul Mannion (Kilconly)
15. Dessie Conneely (Maigh Cuilinn)

Cunny Funt

The bit shit comment is typical of Syferus, he should know Roscommon have the same problems whereby their underage players may never fulfil their potential due to their continued unstable environment at senior level.

ck

Big day for Sligo tomorrow. We will tighten Galway but itll be a stretch to beat them. Galway are likely to be the only team that could question Kerry

magpie seanie

Yeah. Hoping we can somehow do it but fully aware this is a really good Galway side. We're not bad and actually have a wee bit of depth so if things aren't going well we can and should act quickly. Raging to be missing it but can't be helped.

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Itchy

drici

Should be able to watch the game here from 6-00pm.
Go about half way down the page.

http://www.tg4.ie/ga/beo/connacht-f21/

sligoman2

Thanks lads, hopefully we can give them a decent game.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.