All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

And they're gone, Longford finished strong by the looks of it but the 1st half goals won it for them.

ck

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 28, 2017, 06:55:05 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 28, 2017, 06:14:25 PM
Games tomorrow.

Leinster U21FC first round
Wicklow v Louth, Baltinglass, 7.30pm

Leinster U21FC quarter-finals
Westmeath v Dublin, Lakepoint Mullingar, 7.30pm
Kildare v Longford, Hawkfield, 7.30pm
Offaly v Wexford, Gracefield, 7.30pm

For those looking for value Longford could be the bet. Kildare are missing Jimmy Hyland, Ciaran Kelly, Brian McLoughlin, Ethan O'Donoghue, Rory Feely, Tony Archibald, Paul Mescal, Alan Scully, that's a lot of underage talent plus our league star Ben McCormack is a doubt, missed the Derry game with a strain.

Longford have a good underage pedigree in recent seasons probably 3rd behind Kildare and Dublin in Leinster. Home advantage might swing it but expect it will be tight.

I take it all back. Well called. I know a well connected coach in Dublin who said Kildare would win Leinster. Is this a massive upset or are Longford decent?

Shamrock Shore

Great win. Game of two halves with the wind.

Dubs next. No fear

The Insider

Great result for us. Revenge for the minor in 2014. The Dubs next who we also should have beaten in 2014. Could not handle O Callaghan then.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I don't think many in Kildare would have expected to beat Dublin in the semis had they gotten over Longford. Especially with all the players missing coupled with the fact that the 2014 minor team was well beaten by Dublin and Kerry so was a good bit off. The midfield pairing was weak in comparison to last years while Paul Mescal being missing in defence was a massive loss. He is the player I had highest hopes for from last years team as Kildare have not been in the habit of producing quality backs in recent years.

Next years u20 team should be reasonable enough especially if the likes of Jimmy Hyland return in good form.

Best of luck to Longford and hopefully Con O'Callaghan rests for the Cuala match.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ck on March 01, 2017, 09:16:11 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 28, 2017, 06:55:05 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 28, 2017, 06:14:25 PM
Games tomorrow.

Leinster U21FC first round
Wicklow v Louth, Baltinglass, 7.30pm

Leinster U21FC quarter-finals
Westmeath v Dublin, Lakepoint Mullingar, 7.30pm
Kildare v Longford, Hawkfield, 7.30pm
Offaly v Wexford, Gracefield, 7.30pm

For those looking for value Longford could be the bet. Kildare are missing Jimmy Hyland, Ciaran Kelly, Brian McLoughlin, Ethan O'Donoghue, Rory Feely, Tony Archibald, Paul Mescal, Alan Scully, that's a lot of underage talent plus our league star Ben McCormack is a doubt, missed the Derry game with a strain.

Longford have a good underage pedigree in recent seasons probably 3rd behind Kildare and Dublin in Leinster. Home advantage might swing it but expect it will be tight.

I take it all back. Well called. I know a well connected coach in Dublin who said Kildare would win Leinster. Is this a massive upset or are Longford decent?

Us Kildalre folks know our football ☺ McCormack wasn't right at all. Level.with 14 to go but when you expend that much energy to get back you leave yourself open to the sucker punch. Well done Longford, best of luck in the semi.
#newbridgeornowhere

Shamrock Shore

Semi v Dublin moved back a week to suit Cuala's Con O'Callaghan

Not so sure I am happy with this.......or should fair play prevail?

Donnellys Hollow

Not surprised in the slightest. The 2014 minor team were moderate enough and needed extra time to beat Longford. The standout player on that team was clearly not right tonight and had to be taken off injured. Most of the better players from the 2015 and 2016 Leinster minor winning sides were unavailable due to injury (Jimmy Hyland), studies (Paul Mescal, Brian McLoughlin, Ciaran Kelly) or other sports (Rory Feely). Feel bad for Murph that he couldn't land another Leinster at this grade. Probably deserved one from the 2015 or 2016 finals.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ck

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 01, 2017, 10:42:39 PM

Are you serious? Thats absolutely ridiculous. I dont see Derry u21s getting their games off due to Slaughtneil

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: ck on March 01, 2017, 11:04:48 PM

Are you serious? Thats absolutely ridiculous. I dont see Derry u21s getting their games off due to Slaughtneil

Derry aren't Dublin.

Dinny Breen

Ha! If Longford agreed fair play. If they didn't...
#newbridgeornowhere

RedHandTom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 01, 2017, 11:21:51 PM

Ha! If Longford agreed fair play. If they didn't...

Can't see Longford agreeing to that. Why would they?
Dublin will piss through Leinster regardless

macdanger2

I wouldn't be happy with it

Croí na hÉireann

It's not O'Callaghan I'd be worried about, he looked like a man last night who hadn't picked up a football in ages. Aaron Byrne on the other hand was dynamite, destroyed us in the first half, another diamond of a footballer. Boidu did a decent job on him in the second half but still oozed quality. Comerford will be a decent successor to Cluxton on the kickouts, invariably found his man.

After a decent opening we quickly lost our way. Dublin were more composed in the middle third and kept possession better. Giles was too isolated as well any time balls did make it in to him. Missing a couple of frees that would have kept us in touch didn't help but we kept competing on a horrible night for football. Dublin put a bit of gloss on it in the end.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...