Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 10, 2022, 09:01:41 PM
I think it was purely "that" game stupid people would have that opinion of him for.

Fixed that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Billy Bingham was a wee Unionist icon even as far as his first name.
In 1958 when the Occupied Territories qualified for the World Cup the RoI was a kip. It was disorganised in 1982 and 1986. 3 -0.  But now it's 3-3 . Both teams are poor due to the structure of English soccer. Timing is everything.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 10, 2022, 01:36:42 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 10, 2022, 01:17:29 PM
Billy bingham

God really hates them, first the 12th coverage cancelled, now this....

I shouldn't laugh after a man dying, but this made me chuckle.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

I remember Bingham as being pissed off at the "one team in Ireland" jeers in the first match in Dublin earlier that year.

Which was fair enough in my opinion.

It's just that on the night in Windsor he should probably, in the aftermath of Greysteel and the Shankill bombing, have been a little less animated and provocative. The crowd and the tension didn't need stoking.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on June 12, 2022, 09:31:18 PM
I remember Bingham as being pissed off at the "one team in Ireland" jeers in the first match in Dublin earlier that year.

It's just that on the night in Windsor he should probably, in the aftermath of Greysteel and the Shankill bombing, have been a little less animated and provocative. The crowd and the tension didn't need stoking.
That night the phrase was coined, Billy Bigot. Charlton told a story about the intense frenzied bigot frothing atmosphere during the game, but when he went upstairs to award a prize to a local soccer club  thing, the packed room gave him a prolonged standing ovation. Afaic Billy was only interested in one thing during that game, victory and what was happening in the stands was atmosphere that he could garner. I doubt if Billy was that figure as part of his character,otherwise  he never would have been able to preside  over a mixed ethnic religious team during the polarised  height on the 'troubles' and earn the total respect of all involved.

Windmill abu

Quote from: Main Street on June 12, 2022, 11:07:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 12, 2022, 09:31:18 PM

That night the phrase was coined, Billy Bigot. Charlton told a story about the intense frenzied bigot frothing atmosphere during the game, but when he went upstairs to award a prize to a local soccer club  thing, the packed room gave him a prolonged standing ovation. Afaic Billy was only interested in one thing during that game, victory and what was happening in the stands was atmosphere that he could garner. I doubt if Billy was that figure as part of his character,otherwise  he never would have been able to preside  over a mixed ethnic religious team during the polarised  height on the 'troubles' and earn the total respect of all involved.

Billy bigot didn't earn the respect of the vast majority of nationalists in the north. He was happy to promote OWC as a team for everyone as long as the taigs knew their place.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Wildweasel74

But still a number of catholics played for N Ireland after that night.

michaelg

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 12, 2022, 11:34:25 PM
But still a number of catholics played for N Ireland after that night.
And pretty much all of all Ireland celebrated NI's progress in the 1982, and to a lesser degree the 1986, WCs. Really sad that some folk on here cannot show respect to a (Northern) Irish man who brought a lot of joy to the whole of the island during a grim time.  Billy Bingham, as far as I am aware, had a catholic friend as his 'Best Man', and was hugely respected by all players, from whatever community, during his time as NI Manager. You only need to listen to the tributes from Martin O'Neill. Gerry Armstrong etc, to hear how well though thought of and respected that he was, from all of the players that he managed. RIP Billy Bingham.

red hander

You lost me at Gerry Armstrong. You were doing so well, too.

Milltown Row2

Billy now shares the same platform as Andy Goram by some on here.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: red hander on June 12, 2022, 11:54:55 PM

Gerry played for the Johnnies in Belfast, few championships too no doubt on a very good club team..

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2022, 12:00:24 AM
Quote from: red hander on June 12, 2022, 11:54:55 PM

Gerry played for the Johnnies in Belfast, few championships too no doubt on a very good club team..

And he's been living off that goal ever since, playing to a gallery at the time he was in the team who considered him nothing more than a Fenian bastard, along with the other Fenian bastards, who were their best players. They chose to ignore this, fair enough. Those days are over. But Armstrong has made an industry out of it. I watched him being interviewed the other day, and a specific question re Bingham's stirring up of an already stirred up shower of bigots, and he totally swerved the question. f**k him, he's an utter Uncle Tom, and it doesn't matter how many Antrim championships he won.

marty34

Off topic but I'm not sure why any nationalist should play for the north now anyway.

Milltown Row2

Some bitterness now, red handed you're some pup. Bigots and Uncle Tom.. so Billy and now Gerry .. Anton Rogan and Lennon in the same boat?

Lighten up and take your head out of your hole

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on June 13, 2022, 12:13:47 AM
Off topic but I'm not sure why any nationalist should play for the north now anyway.

Why did English men play for the republic? To further their careers and mainly because the English National team thought they weren't good enough. Thought that was simple enough to work out