New GAA Website: www.grassrootsgaa.ie

Started by Club Scene, April 30, 2014, 05:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2014, 09:45:48 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 02, 2014, 09:19:47 AM
Think the site is great personally. I know a girl who's a journalism student who's doing a few reports for it and even if editors won't pay much future heed to getting reports published, surely anyone doing the reports is going to make contacts covering games and events and it surely cant hurt their prospects..

Totally agree Heffo. There was plenty of scope for someone else to do this for a long time now and if the lads do well off it good luck to them.

We've no genuine local paper or real local radio station in Dublin to cover the club game and this more then fills the gap for me anyway.

Could ye not use some of the €1.5 million ye get every year to set up a Dublin GAA station. Or do ye want more money from us, ye starving hoors!!

Bingo

Fair play to the lads and its a good idea.

Anything that helps raise the profile of the club game can only be good.

Club Scene

Thanks for the positive comments folks...they're very much appreciated. We are constantly looking to improve the quality of the site and expand our content across the board. The negative comments also keep you on your toes so they're no harm either!

ONeill

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 01, 2014, 12:39:16 AM
Cillian good luck with your venture but this "build your portfolio" shyte really gets to me. You're running this site with the long-term intention of making money and looking for people to work for you for free in the meantime.

FFS. If people enjoy writing reports on something they love (for free) what's the harm? Why has it to do with money?

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lone Shark

Quote from: ONeill on May 02, 2014, 11:23:49 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 01, 2014, 12:39:16 AM
Cillian good luck with your venture but this "build your portfolio" shyte really gets to me. You're running this site with the long-term intention of making money and looking for people to work for you for free in the meantime.

FFS. If people enjoy writing reports on something they love (for free) what's the harm? Why has it to do with money?

It was the OP who introduced this element by suggesting that this would be a good way of boosting your chances of getting a start in the world of journalism. If he had opened the door to would-be writers for the site by saying that people with an interest in gaelic games and in writing are more than welcome to use the site as an outlet for their interest and passion for the sports, then I suspect there would have been no disagreement or negative comment whatsoever.

Also just to come back to those posters who suggest that there is an element of pulling up the ladder after us from those who work in the trade, that's not it at all - we'll leave that to the likes of the teaching unions who make a habit of selling out the newbies in the trade. Spending time, energy and money covering games should in theory be the ideal preparation for work as a journalist, but right now there are far better ways of using your time. That might have been different twenty years ago when print was the only game in town, but it's a new world now and if I was to guide a budding young writer I would suggest very different ways of sharpening your saw.