Martin Cole gets four week suspension

Started by Out in Front, June 11, 2008, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

The post match discipline procedure  in soccer is more realistic and less big brother.

There was an excellent ref in Omagh, he saw enough of the incident to give a yellow. Now we have suits from a distance overseeing his decisions made in a game and over ruling his decisions made in a game.
Where will this end?
In one way it does take the pressure of the ref not to give a red during a game. But i'd prefer to go with the conventional - if the ref sees it and deals with it then that should be it for better or for worse.

Mourne Rover

Main Street is completely right. Everyone has been operating on the basis that a decision taken by a referee after seeing an incident resolved the matter. If the incident was off the ball, and the referee did not see it, then a suspension could follow as a result of video evidence. The referee in Omagh saw that Cole took a fairly heavy tackle from Harte, allowed Down the advantage as Cole ran on, saw Cole's elbow go out and judged that it was a yellow card offence. If this intervention from Croke Park is to be upheld, then every yellow card could be upgraded to a later suspension and chaos will follow.

Cole will have to appeal and I wonder if Fergal Logan will end up acting for him. It is also worth pointing out that Cole had a fine disciplinary record at county level over many years. I don't think he has ever had a red card in a Down jersey.

I agree that the use of the elbow needs to be taken seriously, but a referee standing beside an incident must be allowed to rule whether it merits a yellow or a red. I cannot see how any other approach can be sustained.

ONeill

Harsh decision. I'd say Harte's injury was a main reason for the verdict. If Davy'd been clamped further down and just came out with a fat lip and didn't go off, there'd have been nowt done.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

dodgy umpire

you could get twice the belt in a minor club game and no more would be said. not condoning elbows  to the face but are we going down the bath of eliminating the physicality of the game like some have said?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: thewobbler on June 11, 2008, 09:05:49 PM
Fear ón Srath Bán, can I tell you something.

Fearghal Doherty was involved in a clearcut, off-the-ball striking incident, in which his intent to strike an opponent was obvious. but as the referee didn't see it he got off with it. For then.

Martin Cole was involved in a ball-carrying incident in which he used his arm to gain leverage. Unfortunately his opponent got hurt, but there is absolutely no way to prove intent. It was a natural reaction to a footballing situation. This is born out by the tame reaction of Harte and his teammates to the incident. And in this instance, the referee had a full view of the situation and meted out a punishment accordingly.

If you can't see that there is a world of difference between these two incidents, then i'm sorry, but you don't have a fiucking clue.

thats some joke...he did what most players do at club level and get away with it...he threw his arm/elbow back with intent to hit the tyrone player because he was holding his jumper...because he did not look back to see where he was going to hit is the players fault. Very deliberate aggressive foul.

Quote from: dodgy umpire on June 11, 2008, 10:50:25 PM
you could get twice the belt in a minor club game and no more would be said. not condoning elbows  to the face but are we going down the bath of eliminating the physicality of the game like some have said?

talking shite...it was dirty play...plain and simple

dodgy umpire

i dare say if davy harte was hangin off ur jersey youd try to shake him off. had cole stopped, chucked the ball away, turned around and aimed for his nose with his elbow i could see where your coming from. unless he has eyes on the back of his head id contest his ability to deliberatly break his nose

ONeill

You could see it in his eyes. HIS EYES!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bensars

I thought the discussion was on cole and the alledged 4 week suspension !

where does Tyrone bandwagon come into it ?

Quote from: dodgy umpire on June 11, 2008, 10:57:43 PM
i dare say if davy harte was hangin off ur jersey youd try to shake him off. had cole stopped, chucked the ball away, turned around and aimed for his nose with his elbow i could see where your coming from. unless he has eyes on the back of his head id contest his ability to deliberatly break his nose

thats a different story now then dodgy umpire. He didnt mean to deliberatley do it.    The appeal should be straight forward then ::)

screenexile

As a rule I'm loathe to agree with Max I'd indeed anyone from the inbred red hands. However in this case Cole threw his arm out at head height and connected with a man's nose. As we are told in many sports "if you raise your hands you're in trouble'. He did so now he's in trouble.

I also don't accept this 'shrugging him off' caper. A man of Cole's size was well capable of leaning his shoulder across Harte to either shrug him off or get his own free. I don't think he intentionally struck, he just made a bad decision in the heat of battle. He should take his punishment and get on with it.

INDIANA

it's as clear a case as any of the others in my view. you can't swing back like that, i don't believe he meant to break his nose but there are more conventional ways of freeing yourself and i believe the ban is merited on that basis. you can't let that go.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Bensars on June 11, 2008, 11:02:46 PM
I thought the discussion was on cole and the alledged 4 week suspension !

where does Tyrone bandwagon come into it ?

Quote from: dodgy umpire on June 11, 2008, 10:57:43 PM

thats a different story now then dodgy umpire. He didnt mean to deliberatley do it.    The appeal should be straight forward then ::)

not sure i completly follow?

redandblackjack

That decision is absolute horseshit....Harte was pulling and dragging and stopping Cole from moving forward- the arm (not elbow) was to shrug off (most players on here will agree to this) Harte from halting him further as it was clear up until then Cole wasnt getting a free. Unfortunate incident and nasty injury but imo an accident. To be fair to Cole- how could he tell where Harte's head was? Cole is not the sort to get involved in shite like that- even though previous record etc doesnt come into something like this! Terrible decision- where will they draw the line? If the Meath Dublin row and Fergal Doc had not happened then i doubt we would be discussing this! How does the ccc justify this sort of decision when Geraghty for example was not investigated last year after he hit his man a sneaky and very deliberate box when he went down for a ball? Absolute jokers the whole lot of them. They are going to make a mess of the entire championship if they continue their crusade! Are they going to ensure all chamionship games are televised? Will they decide to deal with incidents depending on the 'experts' views on the sunday game?

dodgy umpire

well said!
colm o rourke would ban every player north of louth

gortnaleck

I'll have to watch the incident again but I thought Harte was after giving Cole a good box in the ribs when he swung back.Should action be taken against Harte or is Cole being victimized just because Harte suffered a bad injury caused by something that happens countless times during a game but usually just gives a black mark somewhere

western exile

I did watch it again, and Cole reacted to a mother of a punch to the chest from Harte while he (Cole) was in  possession of the ball.  It is unfortunate that Harte got the injury he did, as clearly Cole was lashing back had not sight of Harte's head.  If Harte had got a bloody lip and played on, there would have been no suspension. The Committee are reacting to the extent of the accidental injury instead of the fouls committed by both players.