Leinster Minor Hurling 2019

Started by burdizzo, April 24, 2019, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA-SMART

Can give you 10-15 thousand reasons why this is a bad idea.. number 1 being this is a minor team, ie 15-17 year old kids, not a senior one.

Don Draper

Quote from: GAA-SMART on August 26, 2019, 11:09:44 AM
Can give you 10-15 thousand reasons why this is a bad idea.. number 1 being this is a minor team, ie 15-17 year old kids, not a senior one.
So McGrath's experience of winning back to back Harty and All Irelands with DLS would probably stand to him.

If thats your number 1, I'd say you wouldn't get to 15, let alone 15,000.

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Don Draper on August 26, 2019, 11:13:49 AM
So McGrath's experience of winning back to back Harty and All Irelands with DLS would probably stand to him.

Point being when anyone clubs / county thinks it is ok to pay anyone that type of cash to train kids then we may stop calling the GAA an amateur organisation once and for all. This is an absolute farce and goes against all what the GAA should stand for, and if laois hurling people had any self respect theyd call this out for what it is. More or less the minor manager for the last 2 years lost his job here because someone has thrown money at a name.

Don Draper

Quote from: GAA-SMART on August 26, 2019, 11:34:07 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 26, 2019, 11:13:49 AM

Point being when anyone clubs / county thinks it is ok to pay anyone that type of cash to train kids then we may stop calling the GAA an amateur organisation once and for all. This is an absolute farce and goes against all what the GAA should stand for, and if laois hurling people had any self respect theyd call this out for what it is. More or less the minor manager for the last 2 years lost his job here because someone has thrown money at a name.
Relax. The horse bolted on payments a long time back. The GAA you long for is dead.

GAA-SMART

I accept senior payments.. I just have issues with paying people to train a team of kids, thats all. Now its done I wish them all the best and hope it works out.

SpeculativeEffort

I dont care who is over this team as long as they reach their potential. If it takes Derek McGrath and we have to pay him so what?
Maybe no stone is being left unturned to get the most out of this group and an outside man is needed as it looks like people in Laois are going to squabble over it.

Don Draper

I couldnt give a f**k about winning minors as long as we're developing intercounty players.

clonadmad

It's a bit of a change from us going cap in hand to Martin Fogarty to see if he could  get anyone for us to potentially getting McGrath onboard.

I hope it's the DLS Harty McGrath we are getting and not the McGrath of the single and double sweeper,we are getting

His Harty winning teams played a lovely brand of hurling

Ogie

I would be a fan of McGrath, but this appointment stinks a little bit, just because the U16 management wanted the job and have a friend with money they get the job and a good man thrown out on his ear

I'd be keen to see the details of his exact involvement, I think it's just a stroke being pulled to get that management team into the job.
Puts a big spotlight on our minors for the year ahead,
Surely that money could be invested throughout our senior & development squads or McGrath appointed as head of all development squads

clonadmad

Quote from: GAA-SMART on August 26, 2019, 11:38:40 AM
I accept senior payments.. I just have issues with paying people to train a team of kids, thats all. Now its done I wish them all the best and hope it works out.

All the serious hurling counties have "budgets" in place for their  underage squads

blueandwhite1

Personally very happy to see more money spent to pay for coaches at U-12/14/16. It is the only investment that actually pays off. GDAs are supposed to do this work but not enough of them and not sufficiently connected to the club structures. When I win the euromillions I will personally fund a high profile passionate ex-Laois hurler and pay him well to coach at U12/14 in every school and club in Laois. He will keep his job if measurable standards improve, otherwise he will be replaced. The measurable standards will be based on skills and number of players coming through at each age grade, titles will look after themselves.

clonadmad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on August 26, 2019, 01:00:46 PM
Personally very happy to see more money spent to pay for coaches at U-12/14/16. It is the only investment that actually pays off. GDAs are supposed to do this work but not enough of them and not sufficiently connected to the club structures. When I win the euromillions I will personally fund a high profile passionate ex-Laois hurler and pay him well to coach at U12/14 in every school and club in Laois. He will keep his job if measurable standards improve, otherwise he will be replaced. The measurable standards will be based on skills and number of players coming through at each age grade, titles will look after themselves.

Colm Begleys old position is being advertised in the past week,which will bring us up to 5 GdA's The same number as Tipp and Kerry.

Ideally I'd love to see another Hurling GDA for the portlaoise urban area as Juvenile hurling bar at u15 is on its knees in there.

LooseCannon

Just after seeing Will O'Callaghan of Radio 3's tweet. I presume that it's Cheddar?

Helix.

Quote from: LooseCannon on August 26, 2019, 04:00:02 PM
Just after seeing Will O'Callaghan of Radio 3's tweet. I presume that it's Cheddar?

He's after saying Derek McGrath now

portlaoisekid