Leinster Minor Hurling 2019

Started by burdizzo, April 24, 2019, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

See Laois beat Offaly by 6 in the Celtic Cup last night. Am I right in thinking this competition is for minors not on the match day panels, or is it for 16 year olds?

redsetanta

Was wondering that myself. Are any of those lads involved in the minor team or eligable to be called in?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mad Mentor

Eight of the Celtic Challenge squad are on the minor panel. These are lads who do not feature in the starting minor team - at least not so far. There are about 34 on the minor panel but only 24 of these get a jersey on matchday. The criteria for the Celtic Challenge is that players are u17 and not doing the Leaving Cert this year. No disrespect to these lads, but you could consider this our minor B team in effect.
Laois had a storming first half last night and led 2:12 to 0:4 at half time from some fantastic teamwork. We could have been even further ahead as at least three goal chances went astray. Offaly fought back strongly in the second half but our lads kept the scoreboard ticking over enough to keep us six points ahead at the end 3:18 to 2:15. There are a lot of talented young hurlers in Laois at the u16/u17 level and I would hope both can do well this year. Cillian Dunne from Clough Ballacolla won the Best and Fairest award for the Laois team.

redsetanta

And the same for Offaly so it shows we have a strong panel if our 'B' team beats Offaly's 'B' team so well. It's a good competition in fairness for all these aspiring hurlers and gives them games at their level when they would otherwise be training away with no game time. Hurling seems to be far more innovative when it comes to running competitions. I don't think their is a football equivalent.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Zooming around

Quote from: Mad Mentor on May 02, 2019, 10:02:28 PM
Eight of the Celtic Challenge squad are on the minor panel. These are lads who do not feature in the starting minor team - at least not so far. There are about 34 on the minor panel but only 24 of these get a jersey on matchday. The criteria for the Celtic Challenge is that players are u17 and not doing the Leaving Cert this year. No disrespect to these lads, but you could consider this our minor B team in effect.
Laois had a storming first half last night and led 2:12 to 0:4 at half time from some fantastic teamwork. We could have been even further ahead as at least three goal chances went astray. Offaly fought back strongly in the second half but our lads kept the scoreboard ticking over enough to keep us six points ahead at the end 3:18 to 2:15. There are a lot of talented young hurlers in Laois at the u16/u17 level and I would hope both can do well this year. Cillian Dunne from Clough Ballacolla won the Best and Fairest award for the Laois team.

You're a great man for going to matches

Mad Mentor

Quote from: Zooming around on May 03, 2019, 03:21:21 PM
Quote from: Mad Mentor on May 02, 2019, 10:02:28 PM
It's a great hobby. If I win the lotto I might go pro.😁
You're a great man for going to matches

Mossy Bruce

I was just looking over the Twitter feed for the Electric Ireland Leinster Minor Hurling, Laois v Kildare match. Wow, it looks like it was a nail-biter. Great finish, lads!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

The Laois lads obviously got a kick in the arse after the narrow Kildare win. Huge score against Antrim. Into Leinster championship proper now I think. Hopefully they can do themselves proud.

GAA-SMART

redsetanta

http://leinstergaa.ie/competitions/electric-ireland-leinster-minor-hurling-championship-2017/

Laois are now in a quarter final and will be drawn against one of the teams who finished in the bottom two places of Tier 1 either Offaly or Wexford. The top 2 in tier 1 go straight to the semi finals.

Shapes Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: redsetanta on May 13, 2019, 10:47:07 AM
http://leinstergaa.ie/competitions/electric-ireland-leinster-minor-hurling-championship-2017/

Laois are now in a quarter final and will be drawn against one of the teams who finished in the bottom two places of Tier 1 either Offaly or Wexford. The top 2 in tier 1 go straight to the semi finals.

Round 2 (2 games)
Winners of A, B, C and 1st in Tier 2

They actually play one of the teams who come through Round 1 I think

Round 1
A. 1st in Tier 3 v 4th in Tier 2
B. 2nd in Tier 3 v 3rd in Tier 2
c. 3rd in Tier 3 v 2nd in Tier 2
1st in Tier 2 (bye)

burdizzo

redsetanta

You're right. The winners of round 1 knock out games plus Laois ( 4 teams) play again and the two winners are then drawn against the botton two teams in Tier 1 for a place in the semi finals. 

G@@

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 12, 2019, 08:59:06 PM
The Laois lads obviously got a kick in the arse after the narrow Kildare win.

That is a decent Kildare minor team - they finished second behind Laois after walloping Antrim 2-19 to 0-07 and beating Westmeath handsomely 1-19 to 2-10.

Following the three opening games Laois have scored 75pts and conceded 37 whereas Kildare have scored 63 and conceded 40.

Interesting to see the Kildare lads make progress at hurling.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

burdizzo

I suppose they're all dual players, and the best of them will be diverted to football. Same as happens here outside the strong hurling areas.