Previous topic - Next topic

did yesterday save football?

yes
40 (48.2%)
no
43 (51.8%)

Total Members Voted: 83

boojangles

Armagh and Tyrone took Gaelic football to a new level in terms of preparation,commitment,tackling and intensity.I will never forget the All-Ireland Semi-Final of 2005 when these 2 great teams battled it out in what was one of the most intense games I have ever watched.I remember being physically drained after watching that game.Imagine how the players felt.That may not rate among some peoples prioritys when watching football but I challenge any man to show me a game that was played with as much commitment and power by 2 teams at the peak of their powers.That was the Real All-Ireland Final that year.
Armagh and Tyrone have been a credit to Ulster and both teams have produced some of the greatest players this country is likely to see.

J70

There was lots of nice, pretty football played and plenty of decent scores in that game all right, but it was a bit lacking in tension and suspense. Maybe others feel different, but those are essential elements of an exceptional sporting occasion for me. In terms of an overall spectacle, it didn't measure up to games like the Armagh-Tyrone or Mayo-Dublin semis for me.

belleaqua

Quote from: J70 on August 10, 2008, 12:29:35 PM
There was lots of nice, pretty football played and plenty of decent scores in that game all right, but it was a bit lacking in tension and suspense. Maybe others feel different, but those are essential elements of an exceptional sporting occasion for me. In terms of an overall spectacle, it didn't measure up to games like the Armagh-Tyrone or Mayo-Dublin semis for me.

Thats a fair comment but I dont think the point of the thread was regards suspense, tension or even the game as a spectacle. It was reference to quality, the way football should be played. The quality of the scoretaking yesterday was second to none, while the other two games you referred to were undoubtedly exciting, yesterday was unrivalled in terms of class.

Gaffer

Anyone want to see what Spillane terms 'Puke Football'. Watch Kerry against Tyrone in the All Ireland Final in 1986. Kerry played with about 12 backs that day and of course Spillane was one of them. At one point , he caught the ball ON HIS OWN LINE. Practically playing full back.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

J70

Quote from: belleaqua on August 10, 2008, 12:42:33 PM

Thats a fair comment but I dont think the point of the thread was regards suspense, tension or even the game as a spectacle. It was reference to quality, the way football should be played. The quality of the scoretaking yesterday was second to none, while the other two games you referred to were undoubtedly exciting, yesterday was unrivalled in terms of class.

Fair enough, but what are teams supposed to do? Just throw caution to the wind and get involved in a futile shoot-out with a side like Kerry (or even Galway)? Donegal got stung this year in Ulster precisely because we didn't take extra steps to stifle Paddy Bradley. I would have much preferred to have seen us play a bit more negatively and win the game - I'm pretty sure the general consensus in Donegal was the same where people couldn't understand why McIver didn't employ a tactic that worked very well in the last meeting in 2006.

Maguire01

Quote from: smcafee on August 10, 2008, 10:40:48 AM
Quote from: Arthur on August 10, 2008, 10:21:42 AM
Quote from: smcafee on August 10, 2008, 09:53:33 AM
yesterday in croke park was a great day for football.

wexford played a great last ten minutes to beat one of the ugliest,over hyped,anti-football counties of the 21st century that will not be missed by true gaels.they have the spirit of the gaa in them that fills with hope and joy to underdogs.
kerry and galway played the best game in croke park since 2000 in poor weather.the game as it should be played,no blanket defence,no diving,no cynical play,no third man tackle,no ten defenders around the player with the ball and some great scores.if brennan wants to make himself useful he should demand that a copy of this game is sent on dvd to every boy and girl playing in ulster.

after watching the heap of shit ireland saw last week that blocked the toilet yesterday saw it flushed down.

only dublin to i hope clean tyrone out next and the puke era will be over.

So Pat Spillan is your mentor; please please please define puke football to me; I'm guessing its just Ulster football - get over it son - or at least try and give an opinion yourself instead of quoting from some tool who was bitter that his beloved county was beaten in 2002 2003 and 2005 by far better teams!
read everything that dubsforsam1 has said.plus diving and faking injury.

Yes, yesterday was good for football. But you've just praised Wexford for their great achievement as underdogs, but ignored that M Forde is far from an angel when it comes to the diving and faking injury - even yesterday!

And what, tell me, is a true gael?

Star Spangler

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 10, 2008, 11:39:25 AM
In answer to the question you posed, well yes and no. I agree it was a good day for football for 2 reasons. 1) It is good to see a new team emerge and play good football like Wexford did and in doing so bring up the quality of Leinster football

Let's not carried away - Wexford played good football??  They did well and all but there was more diving by Wexford yesterday than we've seen all the other games played this year to date!!

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: smcafee on August 10, 2008, 09:53:33 AM
yesterday in croke park was a great day for football.

wexford played a great last ten minutes to beat one of the ugliest,over hyped,anti-football counties of the 21st century that will not be missed by true gaels.they have the spirit of the gaa in them that fills with hope and joy to underdogs.

kerry and galway played the best game in croke park since 2000 in poor weather.the game as it should be played,no blanket defence,no diving,no cynical play,no third man tackle,no ten defenders around the player with the ball and some great scores.if brennan wants to make himself useful he should demand that a copy of this game is sent on dvd to every boy and girl playing in ulster.

after watching the heap of shit ireland saw last week that blocked the toilet yesterday saw it flushed down.

only dublin to i hope clean tyrone out next and the puke era will be over.

Yeah Tyrone's defensive style was bad for football. Just look at some of the scores they registered during their last All Ireland win and it proves the point about how their puke/defensive style won the All Ireland:

1-13 v Down
3-19 v Cavan (replay)
2-14 v Monaghan
1-14 v Dublin
2-18 v Dublin (replay)
1-16 v Kerry

Its just as well Dubsforsam that Tyrone didnt try to attack v Dublin in that replay if thats what we scored while being defensive!

Bogball XV

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 10, 2008, 11:39:25 AM
In answer to the question you posed, well yes and no. I agree it was a good day for football for 2 reasons. 1) It is good to see a new team emerge and play good football like Wexford did and in doing so bring up the quality of Leinster football - which has not been great for a while. 2) The 2nd game was unique in that galway went player to player against Kerry and matched them for 3/4 of the game - but then you could argue that they were niave to  think they could win against a superior team playing with those tactics. Even so, the fact it was one on one is what resulted in some tremendous scoring. The "no" part to my answer is for your childish comments on Armagh. I think Armagh have been a great team for the past 10 years. They reintroduced direct football into the GAA successfully. They are a big strong team and I personally enjoy watching them play. Making silly comments about them like you did ranks of jealousy to me.
Galway '98 I would have credited with that?  But on the whole Armagh have played decent enough football, and have been involved in what consider to be the best game of the decade (the 05 semi) but I wasn't impressed by some of their challenges when it became apparent that they were beat yesterday, it was needless and didn't do them any credit at all.

Bogball XV

In total agreement with that.

INDIANA

Wouldn't be in agreement with that. Armagh simply don't have the personnel since 2002 when they could actually play football like that produced in the 2nd game yesterday. in 2002 armagh had the right balance between defence and attack. Now with an exceptionally limited outfit they have to play 12 men back , and unfortunately in recent years since 2005 semi it has invariably contributed to an awful spectacle when they are playing.
The reality is the 12 men defence is the realm of limited outfits trying to punch above their weight. At the end of the day the result is always the same, these teams all eventually lose. Thats why Galway didn't play the 12men defence that armagh would have done against Kerry. Because firstly it doesn't suit their style and secondlylike armagh they would have lost anyway because regardless of defensive systems the team with the best scoring forwards 99times out of 100 always wins. The only chance galway had was to go toe to toe,and it nearly paid off for them. I salute the likes of Galway for restoring my faith in football and to hell with the begrudgers. The reality is they wish their county could play ball like it.

pintsofguinness

Indiana you're getting worse, that post doesn't make any sense.
The team with the best forwards win 99 times out of 100 -  :D - no they don't.

The reality is the 12 men defence is the realm of limited outfits trying to punch above their weight. At the end of the day the result is always the same, these teams all eventually lose.
All teams eventually lose  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2008, 01:35:28 PM
Wouldn't be in agreement with that. Armagh simply don't have the personnel since 2002 when they could actually play football like that produced in the 2nd game yesterday. in 2002 armagh had the right balance between defence and attack. Now with an exceptionally limited outfit they have to play 12 men back , and unfortunately in recent years since 2005 semi it has invariably contributed to an awful spectacle when they are playing.
The reality is the 12 men defence is the realm of limited outfits trying to punch above their weight. At the end of the day the result is always the same, these teams all eventually lose. Thats why Galway didn't play the 12men defence that armagh would have done against Kerry. Because firstly it doesn't suit their style and secondlylike armagh they would have lost anyway because regardless of defensive systems the team with the best scoring forwards 99times out of 100 always wins. The only chance galway had was to go toe to toe,and it nearly paid off for them. I salute the likes of Galway for restoring my faith in football and to hell with the begrudgers. The reality is they wish their county could play ball like it.
Tbh Indiana Galway were naive in trying to go toe to toe with Kerry, they never stood a chance, they are short about 10 players imo - lovely game to watch but imo they didn't 'nearly pull it off' at all, apart from a lack of negativity in their play there was also a lack of hunger and belief, for the last 20 mins of the match Kerry won as much possession as they wanted and scored at will, now obviously it was better to watch than Cork v Kildare will be today, but I think Kildare may go closer to an All Ireland semi appearance (serious egg on face potential here).

INDIANA

because you're missing the fundamental point still.Galway don't have the personnel to play the sort of system you're talking about. had they played 12 men defence  ala armagh against wexford they still would have lost. they've played a defensive system for the last 3 years and achieved nothing, so they may as well play the styleof football they always have because they have won  a few all-irelands with it.
Pints when you actaully have something worthwhile to say, fell free to enagage but until then Olympics is on RTE , possibly where you might be better suited to tuning in
But my point on forwards is very valid if you look at the results.
In 2002 armagh had 5 scoring forwards they now have 2
In 2005 tyrone had the same.
The reason why kerry have won so many all-irelands is because they score easier than everyone else, even an idiot knows that. But possibly you don't
Gaelic Football didn't start in 2002 maybe the chickens are coming home to roost on that one. Its still the same game it always was.

pintsofguinness

QuoteGalway don't have the personnel to play the sort of system you're talking about.

Yes but the likes of Tyrone and Armagh do, - why would they go out and play Kerry's game if they think they can stand a better chance playing their own game?   
What you're saying is completely idiotic. 
You're praising Galway for going "toe to toe" wiht Kerry yesterday - do you think it's much consolation to Galway today that it was a good game for the neurtral?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?