The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Boycey on January 17, 2021, 10:11:36 PM
Quote from: Armamike on January 17, 2021, 09:58:57 PM
If the owners don't get a recognised CB in during this window, the threat for me now is dropping out of the top 4, never mind talk of winning the league.  The financial risk of that possibility has to be recognised now.  We're robbing Peter to pay Paul now with our two main starting midfielders in defence.  The shape of the team is being badly affected.

No clue on the quality of Liverpools back up centre backs but surely ya gotta pair one of them with Fabinho?

One of them, can't remember his name is good when up against the likes of an Andy Carroll but slow as a wet week.  Klopp entirely right to put Henderson in there when up against teams with speed that hit on the break like Utd.

Not sure what is out in the market but unless gomez is back sooner rather than later Klopp will need to sweet talk someone into joining till the end of the season.

Armamike

Phillips and Williams are good defenders and would do well in a team that likes to sit deep and get bodies back.  The high line exposes their lack of pace badly when one on one. If we adapt our style to fit either in it has a ripple effect further up the pitch.  Gomez and Virgil would match and perhaps beat any striker for pace in a one on one.  I could understand the owners not pushing the boat out for a signing a few weeks back, but they would now need to factor in the risk of not finishing in the top 4. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

yewtree

Good enough result for us considering no natural centre backs .We dominated play and unlucky with Bobby's strike.
If The Mancs can't beat us with a makeshift defence they are living in Space.
With injuries cleared up and possible a centre half in the window plenty of time left for us to re-establish our top position.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ken-early-liverpool-have-crumbled-without-virgil-van-dijk-1.4460742

In fact the game had showcased Liverpool's decline. After a sharp opening quarter-hour, they gradually sank into a familiar pattern of sterile domination and in the end needed Alisson to bail them out. They're now in their worst run of league form for almost four years, back in the days before Salah or Alisson or Van Dijk. Back then at least they knew they were a team on the up. Now they're in a different phase: mature champions, who now look overripe, or at best distinctly autumnal.

This was the first time they had failed to score in three successive league games under Klopp. Scoring was never a problem before: what's gone wrong? Since it's the forwards who usually score, it's logical that scrutiny should fall on Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah. Certainly neither emerged with much credit from yesterday.
Firmino had five shots, more than any other player in the game, but hit the target with only one of them, a weak left-footer straight at De Gea. He has now failed to score in 14 out of 18 league matches, and has provided just three assists. Klopp has always defended Firmino, going so far as to suggest anyone who questions him does not understand football, but his contributions have lately grown so subtle as to approach Emperors' New Clothes territory.

Salah had three shots and three misses. Just before Christmas he gave an interview to the Spanish sports paper AS, which featured the somewhat stagey reveal that he had supposedly been miffed to be passed over for the captaincy in a Champions League match in Midtjylland, with Jürgen Klopp giving the armband to the much younger Trent Alexander-Arnold. The interview sparked speculation that he might be lining up a summer move to Spain, but ever since Salah has been playing as though determined to quash all such speculation with his performances.
But Liverpool's attacking problems run deeper than a couple of misfiring forwards. The turning point came on October 17th, when Virgil van Dijk's knee crumpled under that challenge from Jordan Pickford. It might seem a strange moment to pinpoint – we're talking about Liverpool's attack not their defence. Why should the loss of their best central defender (and by Murphy's Law, their second-best and third-best central defenders) have sapped their goalscoring powers?
To understand why, just remember why Klopp was prepared to wait six months for van Dijk after his initial effort to sign him collapsed in a tapping-up scandal. It's because he understood that van Dijk was perfect for the system he wanted the team to play. Van Dijk offers the rare combination of recovery, pace and strength to defend against runners, and aerial power to cut out long counter-attacking passes that would give other defenders a problem. With van Dijk playing alongside Joe Gomez or Joel Matip, you can play one-on-one at the back.
High-tempo attacks
Without him, you have to be more cautious, and this is why Liverpool's system has started to break down. Even at their best in 2019 they were not a team that picked opponents apart, like the peak Barcelona or Manchester City sides. If those teams believed in quality over quantity, Liverpool's attitude was that quantity has a quality all of its own. Their strategy was to break teams down with relentless high-tempo attacks. They would put ball after ball into the opponent's box, always ready to risk losing possession because they were confident in their ability to defend the counter-attack.

Now Liverpool's best ball-winning midfielders are playing in defence, while the midfielders playing in midfield and the full-backs are more conscious of the need to protect rather than to attack. They have become palpably reluctant to lose possession because they fear every counter-attack could be fatal. The result is careful finicky football that is too slow and predictable to surprise defences – slow aimless moves that meander from side to side before breaking down on the 27th pass.
Some Liverpool fans hope that Thiago's elite playmaking skills can rediscover their lost creativity, but this is magical thinking. Thiago produced most of the flashes of individual quality in yesterday's game (a recent arrival, he has maybe not yet grasped what Liverpool v United games are supposed to be all about). But he was also usually the player who lost the ball for United's most dangerous counter-attacks. When so much play goes through one central node, it creates a point of vulnerability for the opponent to exploit.
Thiago can't replace or restore the winning system that has crumbled without van Dijk. Liverpool were creative not because they had a magical individual capable of sprinkling genius on their attacking moves, they were creative because they could attack for most of the game with eight outfield players out of 10. Without defensive security, they'll struggle to recapture their attacking abandon. But the most successful teams find they have the most impatient fans, so Firmino better have his hard hat handy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: yewtree on January 18, 2021, 07:49:34 PM
Good enough result for us considering no natural centre backs .We dominated play and unlucky with Bobby's strike.
If The Mancs can't beat us with a makeshift defence they are living in Space.
With injuries cleared up and possible a centre half in the window plenty of time left for us to re-establish our top position.

FSG's record would suggest no new centre half though. Unless the past few games shake them out of Champions League qualification complacency.

Burnley up next.

If there is one thing they're good at, its sitting deep heading away aimless crosses from the corner of the area.

I hope I'm wrong, but I forsee another frustrating 0-0 or worse.

blewuporstuffed

My feeling would be that Klopp/ Edwards have identified a centre half they want (and can get) for the long term in the summer. Possibly FSG have said, if you go for a short term fix now, the money wont be there for the guy you really want.
Alot of chat about the possiblity of Militoa available on loan from Real. I havent seen him play at all, but he is a Brazil international and  to me that would sense as a low cost short term fix at least until they get the guy they want.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 19, 2021, 01:03:39 PM
My feeling would be that Klopp/ Edwards have identified a centre half they want (and can get) for the long term in the summer. Possibly FSG have said, if you go for a short term fix now, the money wont be there for the guy you really want.
Alot of chat about the possiblity of Militoa available on loan from Real. I havent seen him play at all, but he is a Brazil international and  to me that would sense as a low cost short term fix at least until they get the guy they want.

Was reading an article that an issue is the possibility that VVD is well ahead of schedule with his return and to add another body to the squad would impede the possibility that he could be in the CL squad. I really don't see another one being brought in. If one was on the horizon he would have been signed the 1st January given the games that are in January.

Dire Ear

League was lost here..    Newcastle United 0 Liverpool 0 -- Liverpool 1 West Bromwich 1---Fulham 1 Liverpool 1--- and of course Southampton
QED

J70

Salah and Firmino on the bench tonight. They can't complain.

Henderson rested. Matip back.

Surprised Minamino not starting. Maybe he wants Origi's size in there against Burnley's backs.

J70

WTF is wrong with them?

Its just so sloppy and slow. And even when they do carve open a good chance, they couldn't hit a barn door.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 21, 2021, 09:43:10 PM
a shambles
Pathetic  ...not a clue how to break down a 8 man blanket defence saturating the penalty box

JoG2

Quote from: laoislad on January 21, 2021, 09:53:44 PM
Fair play to Burnley. Who the hell knows what's gone wrong with Liverpool.
I said after Sunday Top 4 was in danger, after that tonight they now have a massive fight for Top 4.
League is gone, forget about it. This is Roy Hodgson levels of bad.

Can't see top 4 myself tbh. Henderson had to be injured? With Matip back, not playing him if fit was a brutal decision.

bennydorano