Tyrone v Donegal - Sunday 18th June at 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, May 29, 2017, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: J70 on June 09, 2017, 09:11:27 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 09, 2017, 11:27:01 AM
Just wondering what did most of ye think about the Ulster final last year?

Did you enjoy it as a tight close game as Mickey Harte said or did you not enjoy it at all?
Obviously the Tyrone fans will have enjoyed the final 5-10 mins but most people I would imagine hate watching that cagey defence style of a game but some people do find it intriguing.

All this talk about Tyrone not scoring many goals concerns some people but I really believe they have strategically decided not to waste good point scoring chances by going for goals as there are so many defenders in that area now.

I didn't enjoy it. We just couldn't function up front in the second half, as it just kind of felt inevitable all through the second half that Tyrone would ultimately edge it. I'd imagine it was similar to how Tyrone felt against us in 2011, 2012 and 2013 when our defense just strangled Tyrone in the second half.

Even when Toye edged us in front in injury time, I just wasn't feeling good about the game (I think it would have been an undeserved win had we hung on, in contrast to the previous year's final when I was banging my head against the wall with our second half dominance but utter inability to find the target). Pure frustration. But that's as someone with a vested interest in the outcome.

The breeze was very strong that day, a lot more noticeable than it looked on TV and I think it was a major factor in why both teams struggled in each half respectively, both teams were forced to shoot from distance and it was almost impossible in that wind. Ultimately it came down to the fine margins, Cavanagh, Harte and McCurry came up with a few clutch scores when we needed them and Murphy missed a crucial free late on which I feel that it had it gone over it was Donegal's. Munroe also hit McGlynn a great shoulder but it was one of those that happened so quick and could easily have had a free awarded for it.

I thought Gallagher got his tactics spot on in that game but the breaks fell Tyrone's way that day. It's worth noting that Donegal paid the price for taking pot shots in the final against Monaghan the year before and narrowly lost by a point, last year they tried a different approach by trying to be patient and work better opportunities but Tyrone's last 4/5 points in that game were as good a points you'd see in that sort of pressurised environment.

I think on most occasions Donegal would have done enough that day, Harte and Cavanagh really stood up and won it for Tyrone that day.

Il Bomber Destro

Think this game will have taken on some extra significance now with Mayo now in the qualifiers. Very possible the loser could face Mayo in round 3 of the qualifiers and neither side would want that game so early.

Looks like Tyrone are at full strength bar McNabb. I hope we go with two scoring forwards, would like Mickey to start McCurry and Bradley but I think it will be similar to Derry with Justy and McCarron in and 2 of Hamspey/Meyler/McCrory/McGeary to miss out.

J70

Donegal have a full strength squad too now that Ciaran Gillespie is back in full training.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 11, 2017, 07:29:34 PM
Think this game will have taken on some extra significance now with Mayo now in the qualifiers. Very possible the loser could face Mayo in round 3 of the qualifiers and neither side would want that game so early.

Looks like Tyrone are at full strength bar McNabb. I hope we go with two scoring forwards, would like Mickey to start McCurry and Bradley but I think it will be similar to Derry with Justy and McCarron in and 2 of Hamspey/Meyler/McCrory/McGeary to miss out.

Huge game on Sunday for both teams. With Mayo already in qualifiers and having to meet a provincial champion in the quarter finals it could be an extremely tough route to a semi final for the losers. Given the dissenting voices in Tyrone and poor end to the league a big performance and win here could do a lot for the team.

Can't see too many changes from the last day. I'd say the two half forwards could be the players under the most pressure to keep their places. A fit mccarron will more than likely come in though he may keep justy in reserve depending on just how fit he is. Mccurry showed well the last day but think he'll be held back for impact sub.

R Donnelly meant to be going well in training so that should strengthen the squad further.

Fuzzman

Not meaning to sound so negative but the worst thing about watching Tyrone games nowadays is there is no variation in our game plan from game to game.
You know how we are gonna set up and it will come down to our shooting again.
Last year our late flurry of far out points stole the game from under their noses. Against Mayo we didn't our chances after Sean went off.

It would be nice to see something new like the way Kerry pushed up on Dublin last year and scored two quick goals.
It's just become so boring and robotic that we all know how the game is gonna pan out and we could just fast forward to the final 10 minutes plus injury time.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 12, 2017, 05:53:44 PM
Not meaning to sound so negative but the worst thing about watching Tyrone games nowadays is there is no variation in our game plan from game to game.
Last year our late flurry of far out points stole the game from under their noses. Against Mayo we didn't our chances after Sean went off.

It would be nice to see something new like the way Kerry pushed up on Dublin last year and scored two quick goals.
It's just become so boring and robotic that we all know how the game is gonna pan out and we could just fast forward to the final 10 minutes plus injury time.

I'd definitely like to see us push up more on teams. If we do then the players have to be super aggressive to win possession as it's a dangerous tactics. If you could push up for part of the first half and get a lead it would make the counter attacking game even more effective in the second half ad Donegal would be forced to come out.

I have saw signs of us trying to push up at times this season, not always effectively though. But maybe now with the increased fitness and work on it over the last few months it'll be tried on Sunday. I think it will be used for part of the game anyway.

J70

It would be nice to see both teams come out and stretch the game a bit. Respective pushing up would be one way to help this, as it might force the keepers to go long a bit more too.

Rory Gallagher promised us less dropping off and more high press this season, pretty much in response to what the better teams have been doing. Even if we lose on Sunday, I hope he follows through. Because even a six point loss would better than that soul-destroying shite in the second half of the final last year!

J70

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 12, 2017, 06:15:14 PM

I'd definitely like to see us push up more on teams. If we do then the players have to be super aggressive to win possession as it's a dangerous tactics. If you could push up for part of the first half and get a lead it would make the counter attacking game even more effective in the second half ad Donegal would be forced to come out.

I have saw signs of us trying to push up at times this season, not always effectively though. But maybe now with the increased fitness and work on it over the last few months it'll be tried on Sunday. I think it will be used for part of the game anyway.

You don't think Tyrone will concede the kick-outs again this time?

It worked well for them last year. We had reams and reams of possession, but just kept running into that wall at the 45.

In hiding

Quote from: J70 on June 12, 2017, 08:37:26 PM

It worked well for them last year. We had reams and reams of possession, but just kept running into that wall at the 45.
Both teams had loads of easy possession. The only difference last year was sean Cavanaghs wonder point. Had that dropped short which it nearly did, donegal would have held on imo

Redhand Santa

Quote from: J70 on June 12, 2017, 08:37:26 PM

I think they'll concede a lot of the kickouts but hopefully not all. If they have a free in and time to set up I'd imagine they'll try to push up. Could be wrong though.

omagh_gael

macdanger2

Tyrone 8/11, Donegal 6/4.

Donegal seem like value to me. Expecting a tight game but I fancy Donegal by a pt or two on account on having better forwards and Tyrone not having a reliable freetaker

Fuzzman

Read this in the Irish News

Donegal are targeting a remarkable seventh consecutive Ulster final appearance, having already surpassed their own run of five-in-a-row from 1989 to 1993.

Putting that streak into perspective, it's the longest by any county since Down were in all the finals from 1958 to 1969 inclusive (Cavan, of course, appeared in 18 from 1939 to 1956).

That's very impressive considering how strong Armagh were in Ulster during the 2000s.

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 14, 2017, 10:56:43 AM
Read this in the Irish News

Donegal are targeting a remarkable seventh consecutive Ulster final appearance, having already surpassed their own run of five-in-a-row from 1989 to 1993.

Putting that streak into perspective, it's the longest by any county since Down were in all the finals from 1958 to 1969 inclusive (Cavan, of course, appeared in 18 from 1939 to 1956).

That's very impressive considering how strong Armagh were in Ulster during the 2000s.

yeah, we won in 2000, 2002, 2004/5/6 and 2008. We weren't beaten in any finals though

twohands!!!

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 13, 2017, 12:13:15 AM
Tyrone 8/11, Donegal 6/4.

Donegal seem like value to me. Expecting a tight game but I fancy Donegal by a pt or two on account on having better forwards and Tyrone not having a reliable freetaker

For me this is one to avoid on the gambling front - overall things are way too tight between the two teams and I suspect it will be whoever performs slightly better on the day.